List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to GW there has been no interest in Cox so far. I think Lynch goes to the hawks and Cox stays on on a heavily reduced salary as ruck and ruck forward depth

Yep heard that also. I don’t think all conversations have been had yet though and if Freo lose Lobb they might start looking for depth coverage both forward and through the ruck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem is that those who really know, have daicos way ahead of JHF, norf know that daicos is clearly number one and will take him at 1. We would do the same thing, if you want the best player in the draft then you have to earn it. Happy to be wrong but I am sure they take daicos at one

We need to hold the points for that eventuality. If i5 happens it happens.

North won’t bid for Daicos out of spite though just because we are Collingwood. That’s crazy talk.

It doesn’t work like that. That only works in the imagination of Bigfooty posters.

North have been offered three first round picks to hand over Horne and a second round pick to the Crows. They have knocked it back. That shows where both clubs value him and how much North want him. He will be the number one pick.
I also believe they will go with Horne, but if they go with Daics, it’s an up you to Collingwood imo.

So has the first DFA window now closed? I was surprised that Tyson Stengle wasn't announced yet as a DFA signing.

I know that we are apparently out of the running but thought that he would have nominated either Essendon or Geelong by now.

I wonder if our opting out of the Stengle market had anything to do with us being linked to a deal involving the Dons future first.

Dons: "Hey GW we really like Stengle and we know you are into him, if your interest in him would happen to cool we can make it worthwhile for you!" ;)

The window that just closed was the UFA/RFA signing period. The DFA siding period extends until Monday October 15.

It's possible that he may even end up being an SSP selection after joining a club for their pre-season, indeed that would probably be the most prudent path for any team thinking of picking him up - invite him down to train and get a closer look at him over an extended period before committing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The window that just closed was the UFA/RFA signing period. The DFA siding period extends until Monday October 15.

It's possible that he may even end up being an SSP selection after joining a club for their pre-season, indeed that would probably be the most prudent path for any team thinking of picking him up - invite him down to train and get a closer look at him over an extended period before committing.

Speaking of which what odds do we have on Rance doing the same once Hurley pulls the pin?

That doesn't mean they won't bid on daicos, it just means that they want JHF who they will get anyway. Same as last year when the crows bid on JUH but always wanted Thilthorpe

How many times do we have to go through this - it's not the same situation at all.

The situation with pick 1 last year was as follows:

A) JUH was clearly the best prospect in the draft, with daylight second. Adelaide would have very happily taken him if the Bulldogs somehow didn't match the bid (of course we know they were always going to but that's neither here nor there).

B) The Crows had very specific reasons to force the Bulldogs out of the second round, namely their (the Bulldogs') identified interest in James Rowe, who the Crows wanted to pick up.

The current situation with pick 1 this year is as follows:

A) There is no consensus #1 pick this time, although JHF's exploits have many pundits and even recruiters / list managers tagging him as the #1 pick now, most likely due to Daicos' relative lack of competitive football over the past two years and JHF's strong performance in the SANFL seniors prelim.

B) JHF is on record in saying that his goal is to be the #1 pick, and North Melbourne have never had a #1 pick in the draft before this year, so there is motivation on both sides there to take JHF with pick 1.

C) There is no real "strategic" reason for North to bid on Daicos first, as all of our picks before the third round picks they have will be gone anyway, regardless of whether the bid for Daicos comes in at pick 1, 2, 3 or even pick 4, so there is no net material gain to be had from North bidding on Daicos with pick 1.

D) North just knocked back a ridiculous offer of three first round picks (two of them Adelaide's) for pick 1 this year, which it would be reasonable to assume indicates that both teams are bullish on JHF at pick 1.

You literally couldn't have two more dissimilar situations with the two clubs having pick 1 last year and this year if you tried.

Last edited:
How many times do we have to go through this - it's not the same situation at all.

The situation with pick 1 last year was as follows:

A) JUH was clearly the best prospect in the draft, with daylight second. Adelaide would have very happily taken him if the Bulldogs somehow didn't match the bid (of course we know they were always going to but that's neither here nor there).

B) The Crows had very specific reasons to force the Bulldogs out of the second round, namely their (the Bulldogs') identified interest in James Rowe, who the Crows wanted to pick up.

The current situation with pick 1 this year is as follows:

A) There is no consensus #1 pick this time, although JHF's exploits have many pundits and even recruiters / list managers tagging him as the #1 pick now, most likely due to Daicos' relative lack of competitive football over the past two years and JHF's strong performance in the SANFL seniors prelim.

B) JHF is on record in saying that his goal is to be the #1 pick, and North Melbourne have never had a #1 pick in the draft before this year, so there is motivation on both sides there to take JHF with pick 1.

C) There is no "real strategic reason for North to bid on Daicos first, as all of our picks before the third round picks they have will be gone anyway, regardless of whether the bid for Daicos comes in at pick 1, 2, 3 or even pick 4, so there is no net material gain to be had from North bidding on Daicos with pick 1.

D) North just knocked back a ridiculous offer of three first round picks (two of them Adelaide's) for pick 1 this year, which it would be reasonable to assume indicates that both teams are bullish on JHF at pick 1.

You literally couldn't have two more dissimilar situations with the two clubs having pick 1 last year and this year if you tried.
Sums it up beautifully.

Absolutely. No way known they now don't pick JHF 1st. This is good news for us.

In one way it’s good news, but it also makes what happens last year even worse, if that’s possible.

North not bidding on Daicos means we could’ve taken someone else at pick 2 plus we’d have Daicos. We’d have two top 3 picks from this years draft.

For fun, and payback to the Dogs for last year, we could’ve bid on Darcy at pick 2 as well. Also pushes Daicos back to pick 4 meaning we’d have paid fewer points. Win win.

We didn’t have to trade this years first last year. It could’ve been traded during this trade period. God I wish Wright was in charge last year instead of no idea Ned.

So what happens if we trade pick 27 to Richmond for 38, 42, 47? Will we be able to make any selection in addition to Daicos/Dib?

We'd have 3066 points, assuming Daicos bid comes at pick 3, with discount we cough up 1787 points (using up 36, 38, 42, 43, 46), leaving us with 1279 points.

If we trade 55 & 58 for Lipinski, we'd still have 47 & 48 to make 2 selections? Am I missing something here?
42 and 47 were given to North. Tigers now have 40

So what happens if we trade pick 27 to Richmond for 38, 42, 47? Will we be able to make any selection in addition to Daicos/Dib?

We'd have 3066 points, assuming Daicos bid comes at pick 3, with discount we cough up 1787 points (using up 36, 38, 42, 43, 46), leaving us with 1279 points.

If we trade 55 & 58 for Lipinski, we'd still have 47 & 48 to make 2 selections? Am I missing something here?
All correct, but stuff giving them 2 picks. 58 OR 55, but not both.
Why should we miss out on a live pick?

In one way it’s good news, but it also makes what happens last year even worse, if that’s possible.

North not bidding on Daicos means we could’ve taken someone else at pick 2 plus we’d have Daicos. We’d have two top 3 picks from this years draft.

For fun, and payback to the Dogs for last year, we could’ve bid on Darcy at pick 2 as well. Also pushes Daicos back to pick 4 meaning we’d have paid fewer points. Win win.

We didn’t have to trade this years first last year. It could’ve been traded during this trade period. God I wish Wright was in charge last year instead of no idea Ned.
Last year, we obviously didn't factor in the hype for JHF. They did the sensible thing and traded out pick 1 so it wouldn't be wasted.
That also led to Poulter and McMahon.
So good deal.

That doesn't mean they won't bid on daicos, it just means that they want JHF who they will get anyway. Same as last year when the crows bid on JUH but always wanted Thilthorpe
They did that so the bullies would lose picks and wouldn't grab Rowe, who the Crows wanted.
Had nothing to do with the fact they wanted to screw the bullies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back