List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure you understand the need for indexation in commercial negotiations. It’s only necessary when there’s an unknown. You were the one querying its presence.

Keep trying on the FA though. It’ll be a good education for you.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No I wasn’t. It’s presence was never in doubt. I was querying how many players would have it in their contracts. You’ve made everything else up.

Just say North came in and offered degoey 5-6 years at 1 mill plus, would that compo be better than a pick after our first? Eg would it be a top 10 pick?

therefore is it possible to end up with:
A pick 6-10 compo pick Taranto
McStay

lose:
JDG
our regular first (Taranto)
third rounders (McStay)
Unless they’ve changed the rules the highest compo you can get is the pick straight after your normal first round selection. That’s why Hawthorn only got pick like pick 19 or something when Franklin moved to the Swans. So we won’t get a top 10 pick for JDG unless we have a horror finish to the season.

Unless they’ve changed the rules the highest compo you can get is the pick straight after your normal first round selection. That’s why Hawthorn only got pick like pick 19 or something when Franklin moved to the Swans. So we won’t get a top 10 pick for JDG unless we have a horror finish to the season.
And we won’t get a compo pick for JDG if we sign a free agent. Letting JDG walk to another club and signing Mcstay will cancel out the compo pick.

Letting JDG walk for nothing is just not an option. He must be re-signed so we can get max value for signing McStay and retain as much draft capital as possible for trades or young talent

I am a massive Jordy fan (as a player), but if we lost him for Taranto, that is almost a no brainer

DeGoey is a much more damaging and a better footballer in general, plus he can be a match winner up forward or in the midfield. He had a ordinary match against the Suns, yet had the most clearances for us.
His season has been good to date, and if he takes it up a level in the run home, plus finals, l guarantee the contract or a contract will be back on the table....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Riewoldt took a pay cut to fit Lynch in.
Sometimes the big picture trumps individual financial rewards.
Not a good comparable given Riewoldt had multiple years on big money. And there is some argument that Lynch is a better player than Riewoldt at that stage of their careers.

Mihocek has been our best forward for 5 years while being played unders and now a potential new recruit is speculatively going to earn more than him on a long term deal despite being an inferior player. It's not right.

MCstay can MCstay at the lions
Trust the people who have us flying in the most delightfully unexpected manner. I heard Caro and her panel of experts ridiculing our recruitment of McStay saying he is an ordinary footballer who cannot play the role of key forward.

Who said that would be his position? He fills a need. He can play a variety of positions. He will be a tough match up when checkers and Krueger are up and about as well. We have to grab what we can given the fact we are not bottoming out and getting early draft picks.

He is a consistent best 22 player in a side which has been in premiership contention for three or more years now. And many players have gone to another level when given more responsibility or playing for a coach who believes in them. I want McStay.

Trust the people who have us flying in the most delightfully unexpected manner. I heard Caro and her panel of experts ridiculing our recruitment of McStay saying he is an ordinary footballer who cannot play the role of key forward.

Who said that would be his position? He fills a need. He can play a variety of positions. He will be a tough match up when checkers and Krueger are up and about as well. We have to grab what we can given the fact we are not bottoming out and getting early draft picks.

He is a consistent best 22 player in a side which has been in premiership contention for three or more years now. And many players have gone to another level when given more responsibility or playing for a coach who believes in them. I want McStay.
Mate I have the utmost respect for Graeme Wright and I understand he knows more…..But this McStay thing is doing my head in. His numbers do not warrant 5 years at 600. I really hope he stays in Brisbane.

Take McStay as an UFA

Match De Goey bid and force trade for a first rounder

Trade Hawthorn and Bulldogs 3rd rounders (currently 40 and 45) for Brisbane's 2nd rounder (currently 34)

Trade De Goey first rounder and Brisbane's 2nd rounder to GWS for Taranto

In: McStay, Taranto
Out: De Goey, two 3rds

Still have our first (currently 13) and Richmond's 3rd (currently 48) to take to the draft.

Take McStay as an UFA

Match De Goey bid and force trade for a first rounder

Trade Hawthorn and Bulldogs 3rd rounders (currently 40 and 45) for Brisbane's 2nd rounder (currently 34)

Trade De Goey first rounder and Brisbane's 2nd rounder to GWS for Taranto

In: McStay, Taranto
Out: De Goey, two 3rds

Still have our first (currently 13) and Richmond's 3rd (currently 48) to take to the draft.
All sounds good. The only sticking point is the JDG contract from another club may be too much to match.

All sounds good. The only sticking point is the JDG contract from another club may be too much to match.

It's a risky play. A bit like an inverse of the Carlton situation, where other clubs will almost certainly make big offers to a couple of their key talls and put a serious cap squeeze on them.

If it works out for us, great. But do we run the risk of (worst case scenario) suddenly having a seriously disgruntled Jordy on our books for 4-5 years on big money?

If it all panned out as Lings of Geelong describes it, I'd take that outcome. Then go to the draft and look at how much we rate the talls available at our pick vs Hine's "best available" hymn.

What did Geelong get for Ablett? Did they get a mid first rounder or was that traded out to them?

What did Geelong get for Ablett? Did they get a mid first rounder or was that traded out to them?
Ablett left as an expansion signee so a different system. Two firsts was the compensation (one mid 1st Rd and the other directly after their 1st?). One was used on Guthrie and the other I think was Smedts. They should have received a priority pick for Ablett, but didn’t because the player they’d have chosen was already playing for GC in the VFL that year, Swallow. The expansion system was trash with GWS getting the mini draft and GC missing out.

Different system but if Degoey says he wants out we should do what Crows did with Geelong for Dangerfield. Basically told them they will match any offer and force a trade so Geelong just went straight to trade table for him.

The Cats have given up young midfielder Dean Gore as well as picks No.9 and No.28 to snare the superstar midfielder.

The Cats gain Dangerfield and Adelaide's third-round draft pick, currently No.50.

Dangerfield told Adelaide he wanted to exercise his rights as a free agent and join Geelong at the end of the season.

The Cats did not lodge an offer for Dangerfield but rather went straight to a trade and it was always expected they would secure a deal early in the trade period.

Crows head of football David Noble said the trade provided more compensation than would have been available under free agency rules, which he said left affected clubs with little room to move.

I'd let a veteran be traded to North should they offer us the right compensation. Hodgey went to Brisbane and really helped them out, almost winning a fifth flag. But if North are willing to part with an early second rounder, why wouldn't we trade it? It's mutually beneficial and we're not gutting our list to have a veteran leave.

I'd let a veteran be traded to North should they offer us the right compensation. Hodgey went to Brisbane and really helped them out, almost winning a fifth flag. But if North are willing to part with an early second rounder, why wouldn't we trade it? It's mutually beneficial and we're not gutting our list to have a veteran leave.
Just wanted come in here and say North don’t even have an early second round pick this year because they gave up it up as part of the CCJ deal. We should all take a moment and laugh at them for that 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back