List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Being a comparable size to Butters & Cal Brown at 16 is hardly the end of the world, is it?
No absolutely not. There’s no givens in life or footy though so that’s just an observation of what he needs if he doesn’t grow further. Toughness and damaging ball use wouldn’t go astray either.

Edit: I’d also add that Nick was a similar size in his final year before being draft eligible.

Last edited:

Anyone else find the Stengle situation odd?

Why would he leave?

Especially given the circumstances under which he went to Geelong to begin with
Music Video Throwing Money GIF

More seriously the word is Betts no longer being linked to Geelong is another factor.

How you doing since the MSD big fella? I haven’t been around and wanted to check in on you.

Music Video Throwing Money GIF

More seriously the word is Betts no longer being linked to Geelong is another factor.

How you doing since the MSD big fella? I haven’t been around and wanted to check in on you.

I'm fine?

What happened at the MSD?

Why would he leave?

He already won a premiership and a AA there. Probably won’t have a higher individual or team success again. Makes sense he’s trying to make as much money as he can whilst abusing the fact he’s an FA for life since he’s been delisted.

It’s more what didn’t happen. Poor Sof remains in the football wilderness. Given the carryon from you I’d have thought passing on him and going with Long would have hurt 😂

No

As I've always said, until this football department gives me a reason not to back their judgement I'll continue to do so

But that doesn't mean I can't have a personal preference and can't question some decisions/choices be it with selection or recruitment

Without obviously being an avid VFL watcher or anything, Sof just seemed like a need for us with Murphy retiring and Howe being at the end as well as TJ obviously not being ready yet.

Just seemed like a logical choice to me

Why would he leave?

Did you find it odd when Leon Davis was lowballed by the club and retired after a AA season? If he can earn an extra 750,000 over 3 years and set up his family then he should! Then there's the he should just be a grateful little aboriginal and accept what he's been given cabal, nup.

No

As I've always said, until this football department gives me a reason not to back their judgement I'll continue to do so

But that doesn't mean I can't have a personal preference and can't question some decisions/choices be it with selection or recruitment

Without obviously being an avid VFL watcher or anything, Sof just seemed like a need for us with Murphy retiring and Howe being at the end as well as TJ obviously not being ready yet.

I think injury cost Sof a spot. He should be back soon and was starting to show good signs before his injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No

But why would it be logical to bring in another inexperienced medium/tall defender in when we already had Dean, Eyre and TJ on the list?

What you’re describing is a desire to get a plug and play tall in, but it’s not like Sof was going to be a ready made player that could come in and play AFL, he’s still as raw as anyone we have listed and needs a good preseason or two in the gym to have the body to compete at senior level.

Honestly it’s really weird that you believe he was somehow a need for us.

I think you'd find Amartey would be facing either Frampton, Moore or Dean before he got to Keane (if the Irishman finds his way back to the Pies)
You know.....someone his own size. How Matthew Nicks thought an intercepting half back like Keane was a good matchup for a Ruckman sized key forward....I'll never know.

Keane is listed at 194cm. Amarty is 197cm which isn't even tall for a key forward these days.

Why would he leave?

He would have been underpaid for years given his output. I get they gave him a chance, but other Melbourne clubs were also lining up. Now's his chance to cash in and $200k-$300k a year is cumulative a lot of money.

Seems like he wants to be back in Melbourne, perhaps he enjoys the lifestyle and has closer connections there.

I mean sometimes I think AFL community forgets this is a job first, sport second. Geelong sucks as a place to live no doubt. But the guy piss farted his whole career for the first 7 years and probably arrived in Geelong without much $$. Won a flag, got an all Australian, he’s 26 at the end of the year and the AFL gravy train dries up for him in 6 years this will probably be the only chance he gets at obtaining a fat 💼. Man just wants to be paid the most he can and set himself and his family up for the future.

There’s nothing wrong with that and a perfectly legitimate reason

He's an elite small forward who is available without any trade cost. Will cost a bomb to keep or poach.

700k is a lot of cash for a guy who doesn't win his own ball. watch how many he gets by staying home when his man takes off downfield and there's a turnover. you could plug and play a dozen smalls into his role.

With Stengle you'd expect that both parties would view the deal / relationship fairly maturely. Geelong is unlikely to be contending in the near future (although never say never with Geelong) and Stengle has resurrected his career to the point that he's now a valuable asset.

There's no real incentive for Geelong to pay overs and stretch their cap, nor is there an incentive for Stengle to take unders. The best Geelong can hope for if Stengle doesn't wish to take unders is for a big money deal at another club in order to boost their compensation entitlement. Stengle of course maximises his value at a time when it's likely to be its highest.

He would have been underpaid for years given his output. I get they gave him a chance, but other Melbourne clubs were also lining up. Now's his chance to cash in and $200k-$300k a year is cumulative a lot of money.

Seems like he wants to be back in Melbourne, perhaps he enjoys the lifestyle and has closer connections there.
The poor bloke has lived in Adelaide and Geelong. Cant blame him for wanting to return to civilisation

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back