List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We have had a fair amount of first round picks who have not don't much at all. I'm not a huge fan of future first but have no problem with Shultz. Unless he gets injured he's pretty much a lock for 100+ games at a good AFL standard. I think he's philosophy is not about that though. It's about whether you want a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a Bobby Hill or a Lipinski or a Darcy Cameron, Tom Mitchell etc. It's more and more common for teams to poach young players who played a year or two.
Comparing our picks within the first 20 picks since 2013 with Geelong (they are hailed as a benchmark for recruiting), the Cats have had 7 picks to our 10 picks. Of Geelong's 7 selections, just two have played 50 games or more (Holmes and Clarke) and only one of those players are still at the club. Of our 10 selections, 6 have played 50 games or more (JDG, Moore, Stephenson, IQ, Oli Henry and Naics) - with 4 of those players still at the club. Both clubs have selected 2 top 20 players who are no longer on a list (Shaz, Freeman, Lang, Stephens)

Clearly: those selected in the most recent drafts have had less time to show their potential as a selection, that's true for both clubs, and we have had a greater benefit of Father/Son and NGA. That said, maybe we're not so bad at using our early picks, and getting a lock for playing 100 games seems to be worth a high pick.

Even better shuey but lord would be just as easy to develop as a young 18yo. The other question is at what pick will we get one worth developing. Hanging your hopes on later KPP isn't the answer just for the sake of getting them in the draft.
Neither is pinning your hopes on Lord, who’s nowhere near being a certainty to make it.

I think the terminology is part of the problem -

Potential doesn't mean the player actually becomes any good. Essendon imo under Sheedy used to be the masters of trading players with 'potential'.

'Second hand' player is a poor term. Was Gary Ablett senior a second hand player? Second hand does not mean the player is bad. In fact with more exposed form, you should have an increased chance of making the right decision.

I would rather a winners only /win now philosophy.

The easy decision would be for Fly to say sure let's bottom out - Give me a 5 year deal and I will bottom out until we hit rock bottom. But don't blame me if players (like at Richmond) choose to leave and our membership dwindles.
I don’t think they need to be mutually exclusice

Bring in RFAs and UFAs, trade wisely (Bobby etc) and then use first rounders to bring in A grade talent

Agree, we beat the Lions twice, Port the only time we met them, and could easily have beaten the Swans the second time we played them - we've got the fundamentals in-place, just need a bit of a refresh, some luck with injuries and some development of our younger players
You neglected to mention beating Carlton twice. Just saying :p

Neither is pinning your hopes on Lord, who’s nowhere near being a certainty to make it.
Lords been injured most of the year. Looked good in the finals last year and would've played ahead of ratatouille. Port want to keep him because they plan to play him next year. He's got more chance than some obscure pick 40 odd18yo. Lords only 22.

Lords been injured most of the year. Looked good in the finals last year and would've played ahead of ratatouille. Port want to keep him because they plan to play him next year. He's got more chance than some obscure pick 40 odd18yo. Lords only 22.
Lord is the saviour

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone else concerned about fly’s philosophy of players not picks. I heard him say this and was concerned about us giving up potential stars for second hand players. We don’t get players like Danger and Cameron coming to us and clubs screw us anyway.
I honestly hate the thought of trading out 1st picks for people like Shultz.
Only 39% of players make it to 100 games in the range of picks we used for Shultz
Average games played for all players drafted is 30
Far more likely to get a proven player by trading or free agency than drafting
Sharenberg and Freeman were picks 6 and 7 and people are wringing their hands over Shultz🙄

Always Sunny GIF

How would people feel if the pies did a straight swap...reef for lord ?

Given we never seem to want to play Reef, I’d be ok with it

If ultimately prefer to keep Reef, but it’s pointless if he never plays

Trade out 33, 48, 52 plus Richard’s (43 ) = 1502 points to the lions for Pick 17 or 18.(1000 points)
Get 20 for Noble and on forward for Peatling
Get Perryman UFA: just paying serious overs for salary which will help GWS and getting Peatling.

Take pick 17 / 18 to the draft.

Lose Richard’s / Nobble and shit picks.
Get Peatling / Perryman / pick 17 ( Whitlock maybe)

Keeps our first round for next year till we know what it is and how our FS goes and also allows us next year to trade out 2 yrs F1st

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back