List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We bought in the likes of leggy and Frampton and turned them into premiership players. I don't understand why people would have reservations about a quality player like Perryman
I do, but it depends on the reservations. Perryman’s a Noble standard player that will play 20 games a year with decent output and provide cover for roles in the 23. For me I think he’s going to play the midfield minutes that were once destined for Lipinski and he’s an upgrade on 2024 Pendles (in terms of output I’m not sure about overall impact).

The thing is $5m or thereabouts over 6 years, even with the salary cap changes, makes me squirm a little by comparison to our best players. That places him in our top 5 highest paid and I worry about how the masses will react if he struggles then by extension how he handles that pressure. The big contract at a big club has impacted Taranto and Hopper so if we see an overall dip then the external noise impacts internally and you all of a sudden have Hill, IQ, McReery and Maynard demanding pay increases to match Perryman. Things can go south quickly.

I hope he’s mentally prepared for what comes with an overs deal because I think Shoota struggled with the pressure this year.

Caleb Daniel for cheap
There’s no use being good in transition if the opposition play through your weakest defender. That’s my concern with Jaicos off HB. He’s a poor defender, worse than Noble, so if he stays there for any length of time we need to protect that weakness in his game. The beauty with Houston is that he’s a good enough defender that teams can’t play through his man and he offers league best bounce off HB.

I’m not against Tomlinson, Lewis young or a Aaron Francis

But it has to be cheap as chips to consider it

Sure we’d love Weitering instead but the club can only go by what’s available and with a poor draft hand… the options are even more limited

Tomlinson/Young, Francis > Dean

Frampton stays on the list as a spare parts, jack of all trades

Getting a mature age plug in and play defender reflects the clubs wishes to roll the dice one more time

Young taller defenders like TJ, Eyre… just not ready anyhow

Hopefully the club gets back into the top 20 of this draft and takes a long term KPD or KPF
Young is nearly as bad as fumblesin

I do, but it depends on the reservations. Perryman’s a Noble standard player that will play 20 games a year with decent output and provide cover for roles in the 23. For me I think he’s going to play the midfield minutes that were once destined for Lipinski and he’s an upgrade on 2024 Pendles (in terms of output I’m not sure about overall impact).

The thing is $5m or thereabouts over 6 years, even with the salary cap changes, makes me squirm a little by comparison to our best players. That places him in our top 5 highest paid and I worry about how the masses will react if he struggles then by extension how he handles that pressure. The big contract at a big club has impacted Taranto and Hopper so if we see an overall dip then the external noise impacts internally and you all of a sudden have Hill, IQ, McReery and Maynard demanding pay increases to match Perryman. Things can go south quickly.

I hope he’s mentally prepared for what comes with an overs deal because I think Shoota struggled with the pressure this year.
I always like your sound reasoning. Keep them coming because I am far from an expert and appreciate different perspectives. There will be pressure on him unfortunately but as you said, hopefully he can handle it

That’s comforting. Have you had a chance to watch him very closely?
I watch too much footy due to obsession with fantasy football. He's a 10-15th best player on your list guy at the moment, however he doesn't get the chance to be a ball user at the giants due to Whitfield and Ash, and they haven't let him play much midfield lately. I don't know if he will be effective inside midfield (I have the feeling he will do okay) but very confident he would be able to replace Sideys roll as a wing and impact midfielder. He must be a good runner, always seems to be an option I. Space.

Young is nearly as bad as fumblesin
That's fair and reasonable but do you have any better key defender options because otherwise we're left with Frampton, Eyre and Dean and young has all 3 covered. We don't have picks to get a gun defender. By your logic, we just keep doing what we're doing and that's worse than bringing in a Young or tomlinson. At least give us some options otherwise your just yanking your own chain.

Crisp and Howe have both been borderline AA selections at certain points of their career, they also have points of difference. Crisp has pace/run and carry and Howe reads the ball as good as anyone and obviously is a terrific mark. Perryman doesn't seem to have a standout attribute, more a dour type that's solid in various roles.
The Melbourne version of Howe was a B-C grade forward with a cool party trick that he did once every week or two.
There was nothing to indicate to the average punter that he’d become the player he has, so maybe it’s best to keep an open mind and trust our recruiters/coach a little more.

The Melbourne version of Howe was a B-C grade forward with a cool party trick that he did once every week or two.
There was nothing to indicate to the average punter that he’d become the player he has, so maybe it’s best to keep an open mind and trust our recruiters/coach a little more.
His pace, athleticism, best mark in the comp and beautiful disposal didn't do it for you when he was at Melbourne? I would have thought you might have picked up on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no use being good in transition if the opposition play through your weakest defender. That’s my concern with Jaicos off HB. He’s a poor defender, worse than Noble, so if he stays there for any length of time we need to protect that weakness in his game. The beauty with Houston is that he’s a good enough defender that teams can’t play through his man and he offers league best bounce off HB.
Naicos was pretty effective as that HBF creator and pretty useless as a defender...

Houston would be a great get but the capital required it’s a bit frightening.
Perryman and Kennedy would give the midfield some solid bodies. If Nobes goes and we get a decent pick that’s a bonus. Parker hopefully will improve that spot next season.
Lord has some size about him and developing but again the capital would seem to be offputting.
I'd be wary about getting them both in.

Teams can only hide a certain amount of lack of pace in the midfield, as we see with Carlton, and we already have Mitchell on the list...

This notion of “we have to trade 2025 first rounder now” is also a fallacy.

We could keep it next year and target a player, trade them in and still get McGuane.

We could also move it into the following year.
That’s true.
It’s just a matter of weighing up if this draft is better than next year’s draft, can we get more with our F1 this year, have we already started talking to a player that we want to trade in next year.

I feel that unless a player wants out, the increase in cap may make it harder to sway someone from leaving their club.

My issue with Tomlinson is that he’s always played with elite defenders and never been close to being one himself. That’s not to say we’re expecting a star, but playing with stars has made it much easier for him to play as many games as he has.

He’s a below average player, always has been and that’s being kind. The GWS Tomlinson is the most staggeringly overrated player I believe I’ve ever seen. Wanted to scratch my eyeballs out watching his name proposed every year by our supporters and other teams’. GWS moved on from him and became significantly better defensively, and he’s added very little to Melbourne despite playing with May and Lever the whole time.

At least Dunn played in a crapshoot Melbourne with an awful midfield letting in so many entries for so many years.

I’m not convinced Tomlinson is an upgrade on Frampton. We do need to boost depth but I’d rather someone with scope at least. James Blanck can play, and he’s not getting a game at Hawthorn next year.
That’s not going to change if he comes over here.

This notion of “we have to trade 2025 first rounder now” is also a fallacy.

We could keep it next year and target a player, trade them in and still get McGuane.

We could also move it into the following year.
if we traded next years first into the 26 draft instead of the 24 draft, that’s a lot of development lost. We could grab a player this year and by 26 he’s already entering ready made. If we drafted them in 26, then you are looking at 28 onwards. That’s a huge factor

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back