List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Perryman is done, get those keyboard fingers ready, Dave.

Anyone who doesn’t think Houston would immediately makes us better, please! We always bemoan not having two Naicos’s cos he’s so good in the middle and halfback… Dan gives us this.
I doubt anyone disputes that. Great player, beautiful kick of the footy, underrated set of mits....Clearly makes us better etc etc. Its the cost that is the issue. Its like buying in Toorak on a Mt Evelyn budget. Suggestions of 2 first round picks is something we don't have. And if we did, I'd prefer to hit the draft

I doubt anyone disputes that. Great player, beautiful kick of the footy, underrated set of mits....Clearly makes us better etc etc. Its the cost that is the issue. Its like buying in Toorak on a Mt Evelyn budget. Suggestions of 2 first round picks is something we don't have. And if we did, I'd prefer to hit the draft
We don't really know what the club is offering him ..

Under GW/Fly we have been pretty targeted with our trading Schultz, Hill, Framps.

I agree there is definitely a need for an intercept mark defender in the seniors - we have Jiath, Dean, Ryan as depth. If we went for a Serong then it should mean Ryan/Dean is let go. The expectation would be imo Serong is playing seniors and it’s up to Dean to displace him.

If we recruited Kennedy to revamp our midfield and we have Allan then you definitely don’t need Macrae, Sullivan, Bytel and Long. That’s overkill and too vanilla - especially with Mitchell returning.

Personally I think Smit/Steele is too many young rucks to carry on our senior list. Would rather have a big truck that can play forward and ruck and is more mature age.

Maybe Leppa can make sure strong decisions on players vying for similar roles.

I hope next year we become a bit more like Hawthorn where we flip players around more in match and become Unpredictable. Perryman perhaps helps with that. Crisp is pretty versatile. Steele has added that to his game. WHE can play anywhere. Hill can play multiple roles Imo.

Can Harrison start the season on the LTIL?

PIES SET TO PIP POWER FOR PERRYMAN

Collingwood believes it is in the box seat to secure childhood Pies fan Harry Perryman as the Giants face the prospect of losing two academy players and a true Western Sydney graduate in coming weeks.

GWS halfback Perryman is likely to decide mid-next week about his new club as a free agent, with the Giants still hanging on to hope he might re-sign.

But powerful presentations and long-term deals as long as seven years at Port Adelaide and the Pies are making it a compelling pitch for the 25-year-old.

The Pies are increasingly confident they have made a case that Perryman can play multiple positions, including midfield, to a player who is pigeonholed as a halfback at the Giants.

Perryman also hit it off with Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley, but the long-term Port Adelaide coach might not be at the Power past 2025.
Given those offers have hit $850,000 it is extraordinary money for a player whose only top three result in the best-and-fairest came when he finished third in 2020.

But Collingwood does not have a first-round pick so his free agency status at a club about to lose John Noble to Gold Coast is hugely appealing.

Perryman is a Giants academy member as was Isaac Cumming, who has already left for Adelaide as an unrestricted free agent.

In-form utility James Peatling was taken in the 2021 mid-season draft after being one of the rare AFL players to come out of western Sydney, and has six AFL suitors chasing him.

The Giants are hoping he is just assessing his options before recommitting on a three-year deal but the intense interest in Perryman means he is considering departing.

Collingwood also has Port Adelaide football boss Chris Davies as its preferred candidate to become its new football boss.
Is this a jon Ralph piece again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As they say, not many players tend to retire on their own terms. They generally get pushed.
Guess we'll see how he goes next year.
I think it’s pretty straightforward with Mitchell that there’s no one to take his place in order to retire him off. At least one of Pendles and Steele are going to be tapped by father time first and with the regression of Macrae there’s no first possession mid underneath remotely likely to take his spot in the next two years.

Even if we land say LDU post 2025 there’s no way he’s not earning a contract for 2026 and with a good year next year (which I’m sure is what we’re all hoping for) he gets 2027 as well.

Perryman as an UFA, plus 1 or maybe 2 role players (e.g. Tomlinson, Kennedy) who can offer depth for the next 2-3 years and come cheap (trade and salary wise) would be a pretty good return from the trade period. Getting a Peatling or Lord would be an unlikely but welcome bonus, as long as it doesn't cost much in trade capital. I am not sure I like the idea of picking up players delisted by other clubs, unless there is something we know about them that their own club doesn't.

Then any picks we get for JFN, reported to be Gold Coast's pick 12 (although I'm not sure how this happens unless our F1 is involved), we take to the draft and get the best KPP we can get and who can play for the club for 10+ years. I would not be trading that for a Houston type, as awesome a player as he is, who is in the latter half of their career.

I would hate to lose Richards because I genuinely think he'll be a cracking AFL player, however if he chooses to go and we get a 2nd rounder for him, I would then try and put a couple of 2nd rounders this year together to snag another first round pick from a club looking for points.

Perryman, 1-2 depth role players and two first round draftees? I reckon that would be an A+ trade and draft period.

Just to clarify, a few things:

GC's pick 12 MAY be available as PART of a larger trade involving Noble & our 25 first.

As for Port, they hold the most important cardS because he has a long-term contract & he has made clear he will stay IF a satisfactory deal can't be agreed.

Also, Houston hasn't specified a club - if he did, that would move the posts somewhat.

Finally, Port said Lord is a 'required player'. Unless he wants out, it's all academic.

(I know most already get all this - just some seem to be arguing around the edges of this for no obvious reason).

Last edited:
Finally, Port said Lord is a 'required llayer'.
Is that kind of like a required llama?

giphy.gif

I feel like we could afford one of those.

We will turn jFN and a late ish into
Houston

Please!!!! No one is giving us pick 12 for Noble.
pick 12 is a dead pick for them with lombard and it will push back to at least 13 and maybe 14 by the time we would pick.

Id be looking to do this deal.
Noble, future 2nd (28 if we finish 9th again) and 48
for 12, 26, 70 and push a future 3rd (wont be worth much points which is what they are after and wont be used by them in 2025.)

26 will end up being likely 31/32 (Battle, Ashcroft, kaka, perryman, graham, Marshall)
a future 2nd is fair for that.
48 helps them with points for Lombard and is a little extra to help get us 12-14 for Noble.
70 will come in to about 60 and a pick they are unlikely to use that will still have potential talent around.

If we want Houston.
12 and our future 1st for Houston and to do the deal they would need to give us their future 2nd back to get that future 1st.

We then ideally have a f2 and 2 f3's for 2025 for McGuane. We will probably need a little more.

So we would end up with
Houston, Perryman, Condon (fingers crossed)
26, 33, 51, 70 and 80 which in reality will probably be something like 32, 37, 47, 60 and 65 once bids are matched and draft board is settled.

Issues with all this we would need Rioli to go for 6 and 20 making 12 and 26 dead picks for them. Owies not to go to GC and be picked up elsewhere.

We would also need to be able to fit Houston in our cap which in a year or 2 wont be a problem but next year might.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back