List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

"JOSH BATTLE

St Kilda​

The Saints would be nervous. He still hasn’t signed as an unrestricted free agent, Hawthorn is coming hard and it’s now mid-June. He and his partner Casey welcomed their first child in April, so they have had a lot on their plate, which St Kilda says explains the delay. But time for Sam Mitchell to lay on the charm offensive to try to win Battle across. This is another situation where St Kilda should be considering matching a rival"

Aren't the bolded contradictory regarding Battle?

"JOSH BATTLE

St Kilda​

The Saints would be nervous. He still hasn’t signed as an unrestricted free agent, Hawthorn is coming hard and it’s now mid-June. He and his partner Casey welcomed their first child in April, so they have had a lot on their plate, which St Kilda says explains the delay. But time for Sam Mitchell to lay on the charm offensive to try to win Battle across. This is another situation where St Kilda should be considering matching a rival"

Well observed

"JOSH BATTLE

St Kilda​

The Saints would be nervous. He still hasn’t signed as an unrestricted free agent, Hawthorn is coming hard and it’s now mid-June. He and his partner Casey welcomed their first child in April, so they have had a lot on their plate, which St Kilda says explains the delay. But time for Sam Mitchell to lay on the charm offensive to try to win Battle across. This is another situation where St Kilda should be reconsidering their life choices."

Not at all? Makes complete sense to me.

In what rulebook is it a choice between walker and Lobb?

I’m hoping/expecting that by the time the trade season comes around, mcstay and Kreuger will have established the fact we don’t need another over 30 kpp, and instead we just go to the draft and keep our powder dry for a free agent in 2025.
Keep powder dry? Tex would come on a one year deal to try and win a flag. He’s better than Cox by a lot. If his back is alright, he’d be a great target.

As some have noted, gobsmacked that Clarry is even in the discussion on here. His best may or may not be behind him, and his fitness and form may or may not return, but the bigger issue is the Ben Cousins vibes he gives off.

Let Melbourne deal with it. Sad for the guy, but his problem is not easily solved by a club with a ‘better’ culture.
100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BAILEY SMITH​

Western Bulldogs​

He is keen for a fresh start, the Dogs know it. Here is the problem. They will ask the world for a former top-10 pick with A-grade potential. Rivals will come hard, but then low-ball the Dogs citing the fact he’s had one truly exceptional year – kicking 17.13 as he amassed 613 possessions including a great 2021 finals series that included three and four-goal finals. Let the haggling begin.
I think he might be priced out of our grasp with Hawthorn & Geelong in some desperate need of what Smith would offer. I would have liked adding him to our midfield group, but the cost is probably steep. Happy to wait another year and try to pry LDU instead.

RORY LOBB​

Western Bulldogs​

As revealed by the Herald Sun, Lobb wants a fresh start so he can play every week. But if you were the Dogs, why in god’s name would you let him go? He’s contracted for the next two years on about $550,000 a year. They don’t have another back-up ruckman – unless they play Sam Darcy in the centre square – so if they let him go they would have to use that pick to go hunting for a replacement. Why not just hold him to his deal?
It’s another reason why the smoke signals have gone up early that he wants a fresh start. It might eventually allow the Dogs to relent given they have time to consider back-up options.
Interest is shrinking, especially with Kreuger starting to come along. Pass.

CAM ZURHAAR​

North Melbourne​

Still think he should have painted a rosier picture of his future at the Roos this year to save himself a year of intense speculation. But at least as he finds some form – three goals against the Pies, four against Melbourne – he now has choices. There isn’t a clear suitor for his services, but play like that for another month and clubs like St Kilda, Collingwood and Melbourne would have to believe he could boost their firepower. A massive nine weeks ahead. If the Roos can scrape three victories and have a handful more fighting victories, they have to believe they are in much better shape than April, when they looked a decade from finals. The Roos have offered five years. They should match if he wants to leave the club, unless the offer hits the first-round compensation trigger.
Would be happy for us to pursue him. Offers that kind of F50 versatility that can be so valuable, and would undoubtedly look better getting less attention than he does at North. Would be fun playing him, De Goey & Elliott as three deep forwards.

NICK BRYAN​

Essendon​

Maybe he’s not ready and maybe he won’t land at a club that believes he can be a first ruckman. But the Dons have used every excuse not to play him and in comes Nate Caddy as another key tall, which allows Peter Wright to play even more back-up ruck behind Sam Draper. Time for a fresh start. Geelong would be a perfect landing spot even if he has to battle it out with Toby Conway for a starting role.
What's the deal with Bryan? He seems to put up incredible VFL stats but is definitely situated poorly. Do Essendon value him? Would be interesting to see how he is forward.

NICK HAYNES​

Greater Western Sydney​

He’s only just turned 32 and surely there is a rival out there who believes he is worth a two-year deal. At some stage the Giants will get their full complement of talls back and Haynes will be behind Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley, Connor Idun and Leek Aleer.
A club like St Kilda should consider him, given uncertainty over Josh Battle and Dougal Howard’s diminishing returns.
Haynes is still a very good footballer. I would be happy with him as an alternative to Battle.

JOSH BATTLE​

St Kilda​

The Saints would be nervous. He still hasn’t signed as an unrestricted free agent, Hawthorn is coming hard and it’s now mid-June. He and his partner Casey welcomed their first child in April, so they have had a lot on their plate, which St Kilda says explains the delay. But time for Sam Mitchell to lay on the charm offensive to try to win Battle across. This is another situation where St Kilda should be considering matching a rival
Would love Battle as a Howe replacement. Similarly, can play both ends to a high standard. Surely we can do a better pitch than Hawthorn?

DUSTIN MARTIN​

Richmond​

Can understand the frustration from fans over the continued focus on his future, but when it is such a movable feast it does add to the intrigue.
Gold Coast is interested, but likely only on a one-year deal (with a games-based trigger) at reasonable money. Call it $500,000-$600,000. If he wants a big multi-year deal it’s thanks but no thanks. Would Dusty sacrifice? His manager Ralph Carr says he has suitors. Much depends on his last nine weeks and whether he can show he still has the fire in the belly.
It would be really funny to poach Dusty and get him another flag. Beyond the comic appeal, no interest.

LUKE PARKER​

Sydney​

Has one more year on a lucrative deal and would be conflicted: Why leave a club where he might win another flag? But he was continually overlooked at selection before his lengthy suspension and it will only be harder to get into this team as the kids emerge. A club like the Kangaroos might offer a three-year deal at excellent money as a perfect retirement fund that also allows him to mentor the kids. Tough decision ahead. It might be easier if a St Kilda, Melbourne or Adelaide who are a little closer to finals contention come hunting with
I have always been a huge fan of Parker. Could he be a Tom Mitchell type recruit?

I think he might be priced out of our grasp with Hawthorn & Geelong in some desperate need of what Smith would offer. I would have liked adding him to our midfield group, but the cost is probably steep. Happy to wait another year and try to pry LDU instead.

Would be happy for us to pursue him. Offers that kind of F50 versatility that can be so valuable, and would undoubtedly look better getting less attention than he does at North. Would be fun playing him, De Goey & Elliott as three deep forwards.

What's the deal with Bryan? He seems to put up incredible VFL stats but is definitely situated poorly. Do Essendon value him? Would be interesting to see how he is forward.

Haynes is still a very good footballer. I would be happy with him as an alternative to Battle.

Would love Battle as a Howe replacement. Similarly, can play both ends to a high standard. Surely we can do a better pitch than Hawthorn?

It would be really funny to poach Dusty and get him another flag. Beyond the comic appeal, no interest.

I have always been a huge fan of Parker. Could he be a Tom Mitchell type recruit?

Our pitch to Battle would be better, but there's would probably would have a higher beginning number.

Elliott does.

I would be pretty disappointed if we paid someone more than what Elliott has been paid to play a similar role.

Luke Parker I reckon would be similar to Hannebery at the Saints. Let him go to a club like North.

Does the Howe replacement have to be similar in terms of build and height? I reckon we might look back at Howe and say his marking was freakish. I would be more inclined to go for one of the Sudanese 200cm style defenders - yes it may have to be via a trade but would be well worth it.

The real quality have decided to stay at their current clubs.

Luke Parker I reckon would be similar to Hannebery at the Saints. Let him go to a club like North.

Does the Howe replacement have to be similar in terms of build and height? I reckon we might look back at Howe and say his marking was freakish. I would be more inclined to go for one of the Sudanese 200cm style defenders - yes it may have to be via a trade but would be well worth it.

You might be right, Parker could very well be cooked.

I don't know about similar, but the ones available in the immediate future (Battle & Haynes) are, and are both amazing marks of the footy - not the high markig freakishness of Howe, but great nonetheless.

I assume you're referring to players like Mac Andrew & Leek Aleer? Unfortunately I don't think either are going to be available any time soon. Both high picks who are showing really significant promise. In a perfect world, I would absolutely add Aleer to our backline, but I don't think it's possible.

Could we save Trac from the MFC and their medical team? would much prefer him than Oliver, he can stay at Melbourne. I would love Baily Smith, but i don't think we could get that trade done.

Would be great to get a tall forward, but don't have the draft or trade capital atm. I think we will go after Lobb, but how many fresh starts does this guy want??? The Doggies won't want to let him go, but he shouldn't be worth much, he's just a depth player.

Zurhaar would be good, could be a nice Elliott replacement, him and Shooter in the fwd50 with Beau playing more mid.

With Mihocek getting along, i hope Kreuger and Reef will start playing constant games and kicking a couple of goals each week. Unfortunately, i think we can put a line through Ash, he's got the skills but mentally i think he's done, which is a shame. But still would be great to get a Mihocek replacement.

We look alright in our backline at the moment, but would need a Howe replacement, maybe if someone comes cheap.

I would be pretty disappointed if we paid someone more than what Elliott has been paid to play a similar role.

TJ could be that player - it will just take a while.
He's not 200cm, he's about the same height as Jezza, but he has spring and long arms.

Elliott to be replaced by Reef (I have faith)
Howe - Jiath
Sidey - Richards
Pendles - irreplaceable, and it appears we need to look beyond Macrae who has served his apprenticeship and come up short

So that leaves for me two main areas of need, a prime midfielder, and an elite key forward (to replace Checkers)

Free agents looking a bit barren, and draft picks can take time, something we can’t really afford to do while we have N Daicos running the show. Suspect we might have to trade hard and throw some fat contracts at players

Because he's past 30? He is putting up similar numbers to Mihocek and McStay, and is significantly better than Cox. If he can go another year, he clearly improves us
Way way past 30
Currently injured
Not a good personality fit
Not a comparable cox replacement because he’s not a ruck
Not likely at age 35 to be better than mihocek or mcstay
Club is better off cashing in on development of Kreuger and mcinnes
Better off targeting talls via draft and free agency
We already have a long list of players likely to retire at the end of 2025 so to add to that would be unhelpful to list management.
Hideously ugly moustache
Racist.

Way way past 30
Currently injured
Not a good personality fit
Not a comparable cox replacement because he’s not a ruck
Not likely at age 35 to be better than mihocek or mcstay
Club is better off cashing in on development of Kreuger and mcinnes
Better off targeting talls via draft and free agency
We already have a long list of players likely to retire at the end of 2025 so to add to that would be unhelpful to list management.
Hideously ugly moustache
Racist.
Don't need him to first ruck. Just chop out Cameron and present up the ground like he already does better than Mason.
Still kicks solid number of goals despite dire delivery from his mids
Is an extreme professional and will put forth everything he has to get a flag in one year with us.
Provides important depth in positions of need.
Would be an extreme risk to put our eggs in the Kreuger basket given his history, and McInnes is ordinary
We can't draft talls and should not bother unless we have a top 10 pick which we don't.

Elliott to be replaced by Reef (I have faith)
Howe - Jiath
Sidey - Richards
Pendles - irreplaceable, and it appears we need to look beyond Macrae who has served his apprenticeship and come up short

So that leaves for me two main areas of need, a prime midfielder, and an elite key forward (to replace Checkers)

Free agents looking a bit barren, and draft picks can take time, something we can’t really afford to do while we have N Daicos running the show. Suspect we might have to trade hard and throw some fat contracts at players
Sorry L24 but I don’t see
- Reef is completely diff Jamie. Hopefully (maybe, hopefully!) he can take the Checkers role
We really have had a number of opportunities to draft a Checkers replacement in last few drafts but haven’t pulled the trigger - it’s a shame if we have to use more draft collateral to grab a player that should already be on the list
- Sidey / Richards
Apart from being the same size
I think Joe could be a fantastic small forward for us but I can’t see Sidey comparison

IMO, We need another elite young mid (Callahan type or a runner like Rozee) to complement Nick / replace (to a degree) Pendles
Another FA mid as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back