Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Showing games on delay should be legislated against.

campaigners.
i dont think its technically possible to stream them live, this is the prooblen with even audio streams at the game being behind, only analog transmissions like fm radio are really in real time these days. there is always at least a few seconds bufferring. how much delay are you referring to?

JB is alright. Don't lump him in with those bozos!
Actually, JB in commentary is as bad as the worst of them. Taylor, Ling, Darcy, Pierce, Howie, Carey, Whatley and in fact, nearly any and all of them.

There are a couple who give some insight into the tactics or structures but the longer they stay in the commentary box the more homogeneous they become.

Actually, JB in commentary is as bad as the worst of them. Taylor, Ling, Darcy, Pierce, Howie, Carey, Whatley and in fact, nearly any and all of them.

There are a couple who give some insight into the tactics or structures but the longer they stay in the commentary box the more homogeneous they become.

Maybe. Maybe I'm just bias cause it's JB, you know?

Irrelevant to the issue but he talked to Clarko, helped keep us in melb and is a rare positive media figure for us against the Caros and Barretts of the world so as far as I'm concerned I like the man.

Last edited:

Cringeworty at times. that faux excitement is about as genuine as a Bali Rolex.

I must be the only one who doesn't care for any commentary team. I'm not sure what it is people want out of them, at least it isn't as dry and drab as most other sports.

The days of classical commentary manned by people who had a voice for radio and could give color commentary to the plays is long gone. It's a lost art as far as I'm concerned.

i dont think its technically possible to stream them live, this is the prooblen with even audio streams at the game being behind, only analog transmissions like fm radio are really in real time these days. there is always at least a few seconds bufferring. how much delay are you referring to?
Hours.

Understand that live doesn’t actually mean ‘live’. Always a few seconds behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've mentioned before that I ran into some Brown extended family members when I was on placement last year. They were talking about him to each other calling him "Our Ben" etc, so not a case of them making up that they were related to him to impress me.

When I mentioned I was a North supporter they were happy to chat, and mentioned quite a few in their family weren't fans of his wife.
Specifically said they knew that some higher ups at the club had been tired of her constant complaining about little things, used to call the club about even the smallest perceived slight or go looking for 'important' people when she was around the club and badger them over ridiculous stuff or things that weren't any of her business.

I'd never really bought into the chat about her until that convo, but it matched up with a lot of stuff others have said on here.
This tallies. Used to commandeer a breakfast table at the Covid bubble hotel in Qld apparently and place a sign saying ‘Brown Family’ on it, discouraging anyone else to use it. Not the biggest sin in the world, I know, but that was in keeping with a rather superior and exclusive view of the world. The club was having some kind of function for Carey around this time (2020) which she loudly stated she wouldn’t be attending. So the sort of person who might not necessarily endear herself to other Players and WAGs ….

This tallies. Used to commandeer a breakfast table at the Covid bubble hotel in Qld apparently and place a sign saying ‘Brown Family’ on it, discouraging anyone else to use it. Not the biggest sin in the world, I know, but that was in keeping with a rather superior and exclusive view of the world. The club was having some kind of function for Carey around this time (2020) which she loudly stated she wouldn’t be attending. So the sort of person who might not necessarily endear herself to other Players and WAGs ….
I bet she'd also try to reserve the best spots by the pool at the Bali resort by placing the hotel towels on the deck chairs before breakfast. I'll tell you what then baby, she is public enemy #1 as far as my wife is concerned! My wife routinely collected towels and returned them to the kiosk to "unreserve" the European tourist's seats at every hotel we've ever stayed at. It causes a bit of conflict, that's for sure so I can see how the bubble war began.

Jason Bennett should be doing more games.

The late Clinton Grybas sh*ts all over the current 7 commentators.

arnold-schwarzenegger-let-off-some-steam-bennett.gif

I bet she'd also try to reserve the best spots by the pool at the Bali resort by placing the hotel towels on the deck chairs before breakfast. I'll tell you what then baby, she is public enemy #1 as far as my wife is concerned! My wife routinely collected towels and returned them to the kiosk to "unreserve" the European tourist's seats at every hotel we've ever stayed at. It causes a bit of conflict, that's for sure so I can see how the bubble war began.
just more proof that not all heroes wear capes ;-)

I must be the only one who doesn't care for any commentary team. I'm not sure what it is people want out of them, at least it isn't as dry and drab as most other sports.

The days of classical commentary manned by people who had a voice for radio and could give color commentary to the plays is long gone. It's a lost art as far as I'm concerned.
It's interesting that you mention radio because the genuine lost art is the TV commentary that realises the audience can actually see the pictures on screen and only needs to say what the viewers can't see. It's the opposite of radio. I remember as a kid when both HSV-7 and the ABC had rights to televise VFL games. 7's style was personified by Lou Richards and Mike Williamson then later, Peter Landy whereas the ABC was Drew Morphett. 7 was like radio. They stated the bleeding obvious. ABC was really understated and classical. Kind of like Ritchie Benaud calling the cricket. On the other hand, today's TV commentary has emerged from MMM radio commentary. And before that, Rex Hunt's 3AW calls. It is all bluster and blokeyness and clowning about, and the game is a bit of an after thought.

It is worth noting that for the last part of the last deal there was always speculation that the next TV rights deal would not be as generous.

the fact is that it is that the rights to the football is never going to lessen in value. The deal that has just been signed is +$230m per year.

No club should ever die. No club should ever be plagued by debt. Not when a deal like this can make debt disappear in an instant.

In 2031 when the new deal expires, the AFL rights will likely be pushing $1b a year.

It is worth noting that for the last part of the last deal there was always speculation that the next TV rights deal would not be as generous.

the fact is that it is that the rights to the football is never going to lessen in value. The deal that has just been signed is +$230m per year.

No club should ever die. No club should ever be plagued by debt. Not when a deal like this can make debt disappear in an instant.

In 2031 when the new deal expires, the AFL rights will likely be pushing $1b a year.
‘Not for profit’.

Except for those that manage the charity organization.

They can profit the **** out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back