Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are going back to Pre-2012 where some channel 7 games were broadcasted a few hours after the game started?

Why not give some of the broadcast rights to other TV networks? Why is it just 7 and Fox?

Ahhh Murdoch.... of course!

It's interesting that you mention radio because the genuine lost art is the TV commentary that realises the audience can actually see the pictures on screen and only needs to say what the viewers can't see. It's the opposite of radio. I remember as a kid when both HSV-7 and the ABC had rights to televise VFL games. 7's style was personified by Lou Richards and Mike Williamson then later, Peter Landy whereas the ABC was Drew Morphett. 7 was like radio. They stated the bleeding obvious. ABC was really understated and classical. Kind of like Ritchie Benaud calling the cricket. On the other hand, today's TV commentary has emerged from MMM radio commentary. And before that, Rex Hunt's 3AW calls. It is all bluster and blokeyness and clowning about, and the game is a bit of an after thought.
Can't love this enough. I yearn for the day when nuance, subtlety, and yes, the occasional extended silence from the TV commentary box allows the viewer to absorb the game's beauty without being yelled at with superlatives.

It's interesting that you mention radio because the genuine lost art is the TV commentary that realises the audience can actually see the pictures on screen and only needs to say what the viewers can't see. It's the opposite of radio. I remember as a kid when both HSV-7 and the ABC had rights to televise VFL games. 7's style was personified by Lou Richards and Mike Williamson then later, Peter Landy whereas the ABC was Drew Morphett. 7 was like radio. They stated the bleeding obvious. ABC was really understated and classical. Kind of like Ritchie Benaud calling the cricket. On the other hand, today's TV commentary has emerged from MMM radio commentary. And before that, Rex Hunt's 3AW calls. It is all bluster and blokeyness and clowning about, and the game is a bit of an after thought.
Might surprise but there are a lot of vision impaired people that either tune into the TV or want to at least.

From a vision impaired point of view, the TV commentary is pretty average. Next time you watch Collingwood - listen to how many times the commentators call Daicos without distinguishing between Josh and Nick.

Might surprise but there are a lot of vision impaired people that either tune into the TV or want to at least.

From a vision impaired point of view, the TV commentary is pretty average. Next time you watch Collingwood - listen to how many times the commentators call Daicos without distinguishing between Josh and Nick.
Calling the game is one thing but commentary these days is more like barracking and worship of players. It is rarely anything more than stating the obvious and screaming out player names and making out that they are so brave, courageous or that they are skillful geniuses.

It's nauseating much of the time.

I think that Tv Producers also fail to recognise that voice is an important aspect of commentary and atm there are a number that fall below par
Poor old Wayne Carey seems to have a bit of a sore throat in recent times. He sounds like he needs a Strepsil or something similar.

So we are going back to Pre-2012 where some channel 7 games were broadcasted a few hours after the game started?

Why not give some of the broadcast rights to other TV networks? Why is it just 7 and Fox?

Ahhh Murdoch.... of course!
Its rather simple - highest bidder generally wins.

Oh Buckys ...

GB: Hello this is Gary speaking
*: Bucky, how are you? This is the * membership and marketing team, got a minute?
GB: Sure, what's up?
*: Since our latest implosion, well actually it's just been once constant cluster * for 18 years now, we need the annual media bulls*t pump up. Memberships have ground to a halt, players want to leave, notice how quiet it is on prospective coaches? It's because no one will apply! And the best application for the CEO role is Ricky Nixon. We need to create some energy and excitement! We are a big club you know!?
GB: mmm, not sure this year, even I have standards.... seriously, this will cost you. ((laughs to himself - I have no standards....))
*: Just set your price, we'll do whatever it takes, well I mean not anything, well almost anything... We've got to trick the footy world to think we are a destination club. North down the road are killing it and making us look bad. Sheeds is not happy and mumbling about frigging marshmallows.
GB: Ok, deal. But you know, no one will believe it?
*: Our fans will, they believe anything.
GB: Fair enough. Leave it with me, I'll spin some crap up easy enough. It's what I do best!

It's a valid point you make. I think there's a sweet spot somewhere between describing the game and having to fill every silent moment. And as I touched on previously, so much of the Rex Hunt / Triple M style of commentary that has taken over TV is about the commentators being the show rather than the actual game being the major attraction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its rather simple - highest bidder generally wins.
A theory that holds up to the point where a sport sells its broadcast rights to a platform that doesn't have any visibility or market penetration. That's when they shoot themselves in the foot. A few sports over the years have taken the money and then shrunk into irrelevance. The AFL is in the fortunate position where they are too big to fail.

So after the review they said they should find another spot for McPherson? Yet perhaps there was no suited spot and Viney was better suited for the operations role? What’a the big deal then?

A theory that holds up to the point where a sport sells its broadcast rights to a platform that doesn't have any visibility or market penetration. That's when they shoot themselves in the foot. A few sports over the years have taken the money and then shrunk into irrelevance. The AFL is in the fortunate position where they are too big to fail.
A-League must regret moving to Paramount. I believe a lot less people are watching the game than when they were with Foxtel.

Oh Buckys ...

Jordan Lewis & Co. have completed their review into the football operations at *.

Their conclusions are as follows:

Head Coach: Micky Malthouse
Head Recruiter: Gary Buckenara
Assistant Coaches: The entire cast of 'Old Peoples Home for 4 Year Olds'
Masseuses: The Golden Girls

If I were vision impaired I’d probably stick to a radio.

It’s a pity that you can’t sync the radio commentary to the tv coverage.
Or have the option of minimal commentary with an amped-up crowd noise so it feels like you are there.
Sending BT to Afghanistan wearing an ‘I Love Pork’ t-shirt would be another good option.

It's a valid point you make. I think there's a sweet spot somewhere between describing the game and having to fill every silent moment. And as I touched on previously, so much of the Rex Hunt / Triple M style of commentary that has taken over TV is about the commentators being the show rather than the actual game being the major attraction.

The distinction I'd make between Rex and the more recent incarnations was that he was part of a balanced Vaudevillian act. He also loved the game and wasn't about making fun of the participants or clubs.

He brought lots of energy, Sam played the straight man and you had other guys providing the more cerebral aspects.

Nowadays you have someone like Daisy madly paddling upstream trying to provide some substance, Hamish for all his faults at least trying to good-naturedly add something (whether you like it or not) then a gaggle of ex-players and nobodies bringing political agendas, bias and often outright nastiness to the table and most of the time making it about themselves.

The fact that Bruce in his last few years of covering AFL went from an excellent caller (in the 90s) to a parody of himself in the 2010s showed how shit the commentary teams were that they were assembling.

Poor old Wayne Carey seems to have a bit of a sore throat in recent times. He sounds like he needs a Strepsil or something similar.

Burgoyne

Sounds like he’s speaking from the Pie Warmer at the back of the booth

It’s a pity that you can’t sync the radio commentary to the tv coverage.
Or have the option of minimal commentary with an amped-up crowd noise so it feels like you are there.
Sending BT to Afghanistan wearing an ‘I Love Pork’ t-shirt would be another good option.
Fox used to have the red button option of crowd noise with no commentary, I wish they’d bring it back.

It’s pretty easy to sync the radio commentary off the AFL app with the Fox broadcast which is a decent option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back