Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has been better. The LDU one is stiff but generally its the throw thats cooked, ā€œincorrect disposalā€ ā€¦ heres a solution for you AFL ā€¦ REMOVE the ā€œIntentā€ shit.

The rules themselves are actually quite straightforward.

1. If youā€™re tackled legally with prior opportunity to dispose itā€™s a free kick. Umpire has to make a judgement call on prior. But usually this is the easiest one to call.

2. If you get tackled without any prior opportunity you still have to make an attempt to kick or handball it. If you donā€™t attempt this, itā€™s a free. Umpire has to make a judgement call on if youā€™re making a legitimate attempt.

3. You can never dispose of it illegally. You must kick or handball whether youā€™re being tackled or not. Dropping, throwing, fake ā€œattemptingā€ to handball - you canā€™t do it. Free kick for illegal disposal.

4. The ball is allowed to incidentally ā€œpop outā€ of a tackle. Umpire has to make a judgement call as to whether youā€™ve illegally disposed it or if itā€™s popped out naturally in the messiness of tackles (at the moment theyā€™re WAY too lenient on this). Also this is irrelevant if there was prior.

5. If the ball is bouncing around under a maul of players you canā€™t drag it under a tackle. Instant free.

6. If there was a) no prior before the tackle, b) a legitimate attempt to dispose it by the tackled player and c) the ball isnā€™t coming out, you ball it up.

The rules arenā€™t THAT complicated to learn. There are those three key judgement areas for umpires and there will always be a little variation decision to decision but itā€™s when they seem to forget the rules of the game that I go insane.

I also really want to fans to understand that holding the ball is always paid when there is prior opportunity and sometimes paid when there isnā€™t prior. So many fans yell out ā€œno priorā€ but donā€™t seem to understand that that doesnā€™t always matter.

1. If youā€™re tackled legally with prior opportunity to dispose itā€™s a free kick. Umpire has to make a judgement call on prior. But usually this is the easiest one to call.

2. If you get tackled without any prior opportunity you still have to make an attempt to kick or handball it. If you donā€™t attempt this, itā€™s a free. Umpire has to make a judgement call on if youā€™re making a legitimate attempt.

3. You can never dispose of it illegally. You must kick or handball whether youā€™re being tackled or not. Dropping, throwing, fake ā€œattemptingā€ to handball - you canā€™t do it. Free kick for illegal disposal.

4. The ball is allowed to incidentally ā€œpop outā€ of a tackle. Umpire has to make a judgement call as to whether youā€™ve illegally disposed it or if itā€™s popped out naturally in the messiness of tackles (at the moment theyā€™re WAY too lenient on this). Also this is irrelevant if there was prior.

5. If the ball is bouncing around under a maul of players you canā€™t drag it under a tackle. Instant free.

6. If there was a) no prior before the tackle, b) a legitimate attempt to dispose it by the tackled player and c) the ball isnā€™t coming out, you ball it up.

The rules arenā€™t THAT complicated to learn. There are those three key judgement areas for umpires and there will always be a little variation decision to decision but itā€™s when they seem to forget the rules of the game that I go insane.

I also really want to fans to understand that holding the ball is always paid when there is prior opportunity and sometimes paid when there isnā€™t prior. So many fans yell out ā€œno priorā€ but donā€™t seem to understand that that doesnā€™t always matter.
Iā€™ve never really understood why #4 is part of the rule- ā€œpopping outā€=illegal disposal imo

All those 6 "uncomplicated" rules should be replaced with: if you take possession, and don't dispose via a kick or handball it's a free kick.

Why take possession if you can't get a kick or handball away. You are just going to end up going to ground and flopping like a fish.

Why risk a tackle locking the ball in or knocking it loose if I'm just going to be penalised? I'd rather be the tackler if that's a free kick

All those 6 "uncomplicated" rules should be replaced with: if you take possession, and don't dispose via a kick or handball it's a free kick.
'Knocked out in the tackle' is the only other legit call, but again introduces 'prior opportunity' mission creep......

I feel like there was a bit of a directive from the AFL to suck up to us after freekick-gate.

View attachment 2026035
Wtf did l just read???
Nup life ban the muppetā€¦burn his membership ā€¦then toss it in a holeā€¦.stomp on itā€¦douse in kero again ā€¦and burn..againā€¦whilst in view of himā€¦.
Then leave photos of him at each venue we play so heā€™s removed from us each post match for the coming decadesā€¦
Muppet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Knocked out in the tackle' is the only other legit call, but again introduces 'prior opportunity' mission creep......
When Daniel Wells kicked his Jackie Chan goal, he kicked it before he had "prior opportunity".

The safe option of a guaranteed ball up is why 99% of players get tackled without releasing it.

Prior opportunity promotes dull boring footy that suits the lesser skilled players.

When Daniel Wells kicked his Jackie Chan goal, he kicked it before he had "prior opportunity".

The safe option of a guaranteed ball up is why 99% of players get tackled without releasing it.

Prior opportunity promotes dull boring footy that suits the lesser skilled players.
So you're saying touching the ball while your feet touch the ground constitutes prior opportunity?

So Damo thinks 35 yr old Tex Walker would be a good fit for us lol. Yep would be fantastic, bring Goldy back as well. Whatā€™s Mal Blight up to ?

Cripes
Look at the Hawk premiership team from '08. Yes, they brought in Dew, but they pretty much let the group grow.....and weeded out the shitmen.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

So Damo thinks 35 yr old Tex Walker would be a good fit for us lol. Yep would be fantastic, bring Goldy back as well. Whatā€™s Mal Blight up to ?

Cripes

You donā€™t rate Tex? He kicked over 70 goals last year.

Weā€™ve seen how transformational another key forward is for us. Now imagine what that is good.

The hawks were the kings of bringing in older players. Maybe not in 2008 but they won 3 in a row bringing in lake, hale, Gibson etc
Stuart Dew was 28 when he joined Hawthorn for the 2008 season.

Josh Gibson was 25 when he joined them in 2010

David Hale was 26 when he joined them in 2011

Brian Lake was 30 when he joined in 2013.

It's not the same as getting someone in their mid 30s as Taylor Walker is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back