Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s funny is The idiots doing all the complaining will be the first through the gates if it gets built 😂
With their hands out for seats in the VIP section. Guaranteed.

The Aleague may have a team earlier in Tasmania before the AFL. The Aleague is going to expand from the current 12 teams to 16 in the next few years, and Tasmania has a very strong chance

The A-League can expand to Tassie, but they won’t get too much traction. The least multicultural state in the country; the majority of people just don’t care about soccer, particularly the A-League. Junior participation is strong as it is everywhere, but I can’t see the general public getting behind an A-League side en masse. With the average A-League crowds they probably don’t need extensive buy-in to have sufficient levels of support though.

The Aleague may have a team earlier in Tasmania before the AFL. The Aleague is going to expand from the current 12 teams to 16 in the next few years, and Tasmania has a very strong chance

Lol these clowns are killing the league with every over expansion they commit to.
Its the pace of the new expansion teams they commit to with little evidence they will be well supported that surprises me. WU and Macarther are only a few years old and can barely muster 2-3000 for their home games and now they want another 4 teams in the next few years that probably will pull similar unimpressive crowd figures.

Its the pace of the new expansion teams they commit to with little evidence they will be well supported that surprises me. WU and Macarther are only a few years old and can barely muster 2-3000 for their home games and now they want another 4 teams in the next few years that probably will pull similar unimpressive crowd figures.
Yes- a strong contrast to the AFL that is more cautious and still won’t give an official start date for Tasmania

4 new teams seems crazy enough yet they’re also pushing ahead with the 2nd division plans. We are not Europe, we have one of the most diversified and competitive sporting markets in the world. Furthermore, we have a relatively small population spread over a huge continent, thus making domestic travel expensive. Certainly too expensive for a national 2nd division in a competition that doesn’t have broad support. Unless someone at the FFA can get some sense, there’s only one way this is going to go.

They are probably going to put a team in Canberra as well in the not too distance future
That is my understanding too. Canberra already have a female team in the highest national competition, and are favourites to have an expansion team in the Aleague men’s as well

They are probably going to put a team in Canberra as well in the not too distance future

A league can go where they like. I think not having a rectangle field of substance in the state, which could host RU, NRL regularly, would make things difficult.

The easiest option, which would create WW3, would be to convert North Hobart Oval.

The proposed MacPoint Stadium can't host cricket & soccer at the same time/season.

So------?

They bring these new clubs with no supporter bases yet they have south Melbourne who have been pushing to get in for years that already have a supporter base plenty of money and there own stadium it’s horrible decision making at the top

“… Anthony Albanese flew to the Queensland capital on Friday to announce a joint $7bn deal with Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk. “The commitment today of $3.435bn from the Commonwealth will make an enormous difference,” the Prime Minister said. … Under the 50:50 funding arrangement, Mr Albanese said “billions” had been committed to a new arena, called Brisbane Live, alongside $935m for 16 new and upgraded venues across Brisbane and regional Queensland. …”

So with the Commonwealth Gov’t now funding new QLD Olympic venues by almost 10 times the amount they‘ve been asked to provide for the redevelopment of Hobart’s Macquarie Point waterfront precinct, including a new stadium, I wonder if the Tasmanian Gov’t can use this announcement to say “what about us?”

They bring these new clubs with no supporter bases yet they have south Melbourne who have been pushing to get in for years that already have a supporter base plenty of money and there own stadium it’s horrible decision making at the top

They are hell bent on removing any hit of 'ethnic' association.

I'd think South Melbourne if they lose the Hellas nick name & change the strip a bit, they may make it into the A league at some stage.

I wonder if they'd take some support away from Victory?

Anyway its interesting, just no real concern for us. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd think South Melbourne if they lose the Hellas nick name & change the strip a bit, they may make it into the A league at some stage.

Victory’s song is based on ‘Scotland the brave’ you don’t get much more passionate ethnicity than the scots

Someone missed the memo

Really! Hahahaha!!

Do the Victory supporters know that?

Yes mate, every single Victory supporter knows this.

Between the song and the initial board & coaching set up, the Vuck were very much established in a Scottish image.

South Melbourne got rid of the Hellas nickname about 30 years ago

Yes mate, every single Victory supporter knows this.

Between the song and the initial board & coaching set up, the Vuck were very much established in a Scottish image.

Ok, I'm not a Victory supporter & I don't know any so its all news to me.

I actually thought it was Italian. :)
South Melbourne got rid of the Hellas nickname about 30 years ago.

Its still on Wiki, maybe it isn't as gone as you might imagine?

4 new teams seems crazy enough yet they’re also pushing ahead with the 2nd division plans. We are not Europe, we have one of the most diversified and competitive sporting markets in the world. Furthermore, we have a relatively small population spread over a huge continent, thus making domestic travel expensive. Certainly too expensive for a national 2nd division in a competition that doesn’t have broad support. Unless someone at the FFA can get some sense, there’s only one way this is going to go.
More importantly, unless it is the Socceroos or a visiting Euro club, people don’t really like watching soccer. Like Rugly Union, the domestic game is largely irrelevant. NRL is the AFL’s only serious competitor.

Last edited:
A league can go where they like. I think not having a rectangle field of substance in the state, which could host RU, NRL regularly, would make things difficult.

The easiest option, which would create WW3, would be to convert North Hobart Oval.

The proposed MacPoint Stadium can't host cricket & soccer at the same time/season.

So------?

There are ways around that though. The BBL season is quite short, so hypothetically, a Tassie A-League team could play a block of home games at UTAS while the Canes are using Mac Point. No matter how much FFT bang the desk, I’d say there’s buckley’s chance of the state government building a rectangular stadium.

Ok, I'm not a Victory supporter & I don't know any so its all news to me.

I actually thought it was Italian. :)

Its still on Wiki, maybe it isn't as gone as you might imagine?
Yeah I remember them disassociating themselves in the NsL days and then double checked on wiki also after I replied. Their main website doesn’t seem to use the name anywhere so not sure if it’s an official nickname which they reintegrated after dissolution of the NSL or just like the nicknames that EPL clubs have.

Just thinking about the recent discussion comparing ticket prices in Perth vs Melbourne, and how the demand for Eagles games is so high compared to the capacity of Optus Stadium, which results in high ticket prices.

And then thinking about membership numbers of existing teams, and reported revenue for memberships and game takings…

If a TAS team can sell out their two ~25,000 seat stadiums in Hobart and Launceston and basically fill it with members, like Eagles, Freo and Geelong, they could have prices on the higher end and generate more revenue than the VIC teams who average crowds of only 25,000 where tickets prices are likely lower.

And this is probably a reason the AFL wants that brand new stadium, so they can up the ticket prices, as it is a better experience compared to Bellerive (just like what was observed when Optus Stadium opened in Perth), which would really bolster the financial stability of the team.

Just thinking about the recent discussion comparing ticket prices in Perth vs Melbourne, and how the demand for Eagles games is so high compared to the capacity of Optus Stadium, which results in high ticket prices.

And then thinking about membership numbers of existing teams, and reported revenue for memberships and game takings…

If a TAS team can sell out their two ~25,000 seat stadiums in Hobart and Launceston and basically fill it with members, like Eagles, Freo and Geelong, they could have prices on the higher end and generate more revenue than the VIC teams who average crowds of only 25,000 where tickets prices are likely lower.

And this is probably a reason the AFL wants that brand new stadium, so they can up the ticket prices, as it is a better experience compared to Bellerive (just like what was observed when Optus Stadium opened in Perth), which would really bolster the financial stability of the team.

Absolutely. I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen and why, at first glance, the Mac Point capacity of 23k may seem a little small (just like the 60k of Optus perhaps seemed too small for Eagles). Smaller capacity = higher demand and thus higher prices.

Absolutely. I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen and why, at first glance, the Mac Point capacity of 23k may seem a little small (just like the 60k of Optus perhaps seemed too small for Eagles). Smaller capacity = higher demand and thus higher prices.

Conversely, Bigger stadium, more paying customers, higher revenue. ;)

I think the opportunity for more people to come to the footy, the better.

Clearly in a small place you wouldn't build a new MCG!! But a capacity more likely to accommodate the interest as well as some room for footy tourists. I'd think at least 27k for such a stadium.

I note the Jack Jumpers NBL have a 4800 stadium that is way over subscribed. They want an extra 2k added to the recently renovated DEC, Now My State Arena.

Conversely, Bigger stadium, more paying customers, higher revenue. ;)

I think the opportunity for more people to come to the footy, the better.

Clearly in a small place you wouldn't build a new MCG!! But a capacity more likely to accommodate the interest as well as some room for footy tourists. I'd think at least 27k for such a stadium.

I note the Jack Jumpers NBL have a 4800 stadium that is way over subscribed. They want an extra 2k added to the recently renovated DEC, Now My State Arena.
Hopefully it doesn't end up the same situation with an AFL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back