List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
We seem to have our fingers in lots of pies atm, wouldn’t read too much into it

• McDonald
  • Busslinger
  • Baker
  • Cumming
  • Carroll
  • Guelfi
  • Steely Green
A couple of PP's like Norf received would be pretty handy if we want to get some of those blokes through the door.

Because he’s been drafted and has played 11 games out of a possible 14 in the 2nd best team. He will cost more then Brockman imo
We clearly paid more than we should have for brockman .

Look at what the hawks traded for d'ambrossio . Pick 61 + future 4th (Collingwood)

They held out until the last hour of trade week .

It what we should do instead of over paying every bloody time

We seem to have our fingers in lots of pies atm, wouldn’t read too much into it

• McDonald
  • Busslinger
  • Baker
  • Cumming
  • Carroll
  • Guelfi
  • Steely Green

All in the last week I think. Might have forgotten one. And no one leaving
Steely Green Why ?

He is hard as nails but small and slow .

Kaleb Smith from Richmond is a.way better prospect

The positive is there is talk around WC being active.
Guessing Pyke is rattling the cage. Actually with him being at Adelaide & Sydney & our ex Richmond recruiting guy, there's a few teams now we should have reasonable knowledge about their players
Active isn't always good.
Warner is the classic buy high (like TK but more $$$)
Brockman, SPS, Langdon are the types we are looking at with late picks.

Geez I forgot about the Langdon days

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

If we are seriously interested in Carroll, hopefully we use Dev Rob as a case study for our pitch, as there is certainly some similarities.

Remind him:
  • He is on the fringe at Carlton.
  • Hasn’t set the world on fire, more so shown glimpses.
  • There are a couple of highly rated brothers coming this year.
  • A highly rated father/son next year.

It’s only going to get tougher to cement a spot. He can stay and fight for a spot but it might not pay off (a trade mightn’t either, no guarantee). As we all know, Dev elected to stay and fight and it certainly isn’t paying off yet, currently two games this season after re-signing for two years.

I think if he requests a trade to us, it would be pretty easy to facilitate with Carlton, a club we have reasonable trade history with.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s a small mistake, but I’ve now seen it mentioned a couple of times now.

Cody Walker is father son to Carlton in 2026, not next year.

We need bo Allen split pick 3 get as much talent in including him
Seems a similar type to what we already have with Ginbey (.and a lesser extent Hewett). I.e. Ginbey & Allen both big bodied mids with good athletic profile, but not high production, or a great kick. Coincidentally, also both HBFs that went to midfield in draft year.
Pass for me. We need an accumulator, or someone with run & carry to break the lines. Or both in 1.

Mitch Cleary reporting Eagles are frontrunners for Baker
I really hope we prioritise Buss over Baker
And I also really hope we aren't throwing away our only other good pick (after our top 3 pick) for a 27y/o (next yr)
Or worse, splitting our first to get him

Perfect world, get an end of Rd1 PP, keep it for draft (hope & pray for Trav, but unlikely). Trade our R2. pick for Buss.

I am open to splitting our first only if we think it might get us Lalor + Trav as others suggested

Mitch Cleary reporting Eagles are frontrunners for Baker
I really hope we prioritise Buss over Baker
And I also really hope we aren't throwing away our only other good pick (after our top 3 pick) for a 27y/o (next yr)
Or worse, splitting our first to get him

Perfect world, get an end of Rd1 PP, keep it for draft (hope & pray for Trav, but unlikely). Trade our R2. pick for Buss.

I am open to splitting our first only if we think it might get us Lalor + Trav as others suggested
Agree.
At our current rebuild point paying anything but peanuts for anyone 27 or older is a waste of picks and list spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Active IS good. It means there are internal discussions being had around what a WC squad should look like next year and in 3 or 4 years time.
You then have to have trust in guys like Pyke, Simpson and Clarke to recognize what attributes the squad needs going forward.
Being linked with numerous players sends a message that as a club WC aren't happy with their current situation and looking for levers to change that.

Agree.
At our current rebuild point paying anything but peanuts for anyone 27 or older is a waste of picks and list spots.

Busslinger is an interesting discussion.

On here many of us are disappointed when WC chase (or even draft) a player who showed good promise when they were 15 or 16, yet for various reasons like injury show little recently.

And here we have Busslinger who was drafted high & yet hasn't cracked a senior game with WB. Yes we can arge they've got plenty of talls keeping him out - but really have they?. Keith is hardly a star & O'Donnell's looks promising but that is all.

And some of us are arguing we could trade Barrass because we have a surfeit of key talls able to play down back - Bazzo, Edwards, Jamieson possibly even Maric along with current players.

So why does Busslinger become an 'important' addition to have?

If he wasn't from WA we wouldn't talk about him & I'd suggest if he was pick 26 & not 6 or whatever he was - posters here would show little to no interest. Why not chase DGB - like Busslinger he can't crack a senior game?

Busslinger is an interesting discussion.

On here many of us are disappointed when WC chase (or even draft) a player who showed good promise when they were 15 or 16, yet for various reasons like injury show little recently.

And here we have Busslinger who was drafted high & yet hasn't cracked a senior game with WB. Yes we can arge they've got plenty of talls keeping him out - but really have they?. Keith is hardly a star & O'Donnell's looks promising but that is all.

And some of us are arguing we could trade Barrass because we have a surfeit of key talls able to play down back - Bazzo, Edwards, Jamieson possibly even Maric along with current players.

So why does Busslinger become an 'important' addition to have?

If he wasn't from WA we wouldn't talk about him & I'd suggest if he was pick 26 & not 6 or whatever he was - posters here would show little to no interest. Why not chase DGB - like Busslinger he can't crack a senior game?

Busslinger is better. Has started to hit form in the VFL after injury held him back.

DGB is much older and had multiple opportunities to show something.....but hasnt.

DGB would cost a 4th rounder ATM.

Agree.

Prepare to be dissappointed then.

Baker wont come for free. A 2nd and a fringe player is minimum IMO. Maybe a Archer Reid or Maric gets it done. Hopefully if it gets to negotiations Richmond arent as delusional as their fans on the Baker thread.

Seems a similar type to what we already have with Ginbey (.and a lesser extent Hewett). I.e. Ginbey & Allen both big bodied mids with good athletic profile, but not high production, or a great kick. Coincidentally, also both HBFs that went to midfield in draft year.
Pass for me. We need an accumulator, or someone with run & carry to break the lines. Or both in 1.

What you want we get with our 1st pick.

Bo Allen is rated later 1st to 2nd round.

We need to generate extra first rounders, as good as Barrass in, he’s not going to be in the frame for us when we’re great again

Have to capitalise on his value if he’s willing to leave

If you can walk away from this draft with O’Sullivan or Jagga and then say Lalor with the Barrass pick, that means our midfield is essentially done and we can then focus on other areas.

What, so we can then focus on full backs?

Have you guys not learnt from NM and farming off senior players?

5 apprentices on a job isn’t same as 4 with 1 heavily experienced tradesman.

Prepare to be dissappointed then.

Baker wont come for free. A 2nd and a fringe player is minimum IMO. Maybe a Archer Reid or Maric gets it done. Hopefully if it gets to negotiations Richmond arent as delusional as their fans on the Baker thread.
A second AND a fringe player? What are we getting back?

What, so we can then focus on full backs?

Have you guys not learnt from NM and farming off senior players?

5 apprentices on a job isn’t same as 4 with 1 heavily experienced tradesman.

North shipped out too many.

How many have the Eagles traded out?

Zero.

The right balance is somewhere in the middle. Not either end of the scale.

Busslinger is better. Has started to hit form in the VFL after injury held him back.

DGB is much older and had multiple opportunities to show something.....but hasnt.

DGB would cost a 4th rounder ATM.
I'm not arguing Busslinger isn't better - I'm asking whether he's a necessity? And is DGB much older - couple years at most I'd suggest - making him what 24?

And if DGB is a 4th rounder, I'd suggest Buss is aa 3rd rounder.

And I'm with you on Baker & disappointment on here. I think k he would be a welcome addition.

Interesting - Baker's a genuine AFL player who impacts games. Yet we argue we'd rather pay a higher price for a key back (when we have truckloads) who admittedly is 5 or 6 years younger, but hasn't actually played a game.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing Busslinger isn't better - I'm asking whether he's a necessity? And is DGB much older - couple years at most I'd suggest - making him what 24?

And if DGB is a 4th rounder, I'd suggest Buss is aa 3rd rounder.

And I'm with you on Baker & disappointment on here. I think k he would be a welcome addition.

Interesting - Baker's a genuine AFL player who impacts games. Yet we argue we'd rather pay a higher price for a key back (when we have truckloads) who admittedly is 5 or 6 years younger, but hasn't actually played a game.
Truckloads? We have 3 KPDs with a handful of games between them under 28yo by the end of the year. None have shown enough to suggest they can be a long term player.

21-Bazzo
24-HEdwards
25-Jamieson
28-Barrass
32-McGovern

Busslinger at 20yo who had almost his entire first year wiped out due to a shoulder reconstruction would be a crucial addition. I’d also want to take another KPD in the draft if we can generate the picks. Along with outside mids and a rebounding HBF it’s one of the most critical areas in our list turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back