List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
At least there is something to barrack for on GF day? Would’ve tipped us for another wooden spoon but surely Prestia blows both hammies is the first 20m. Genuinely never heard of Oliver Sestan…

IMG_4835.jpeg

3, 13, Baker (23) is a very successful return (assuming we’re also getting Hawks F1 for TB and F2 because of course we are).

As you pointed out earlier, 21/23 could get pushed a surprising distance with matches. Quality over quantity even if it is a deep draft and hypothetically 13 is more or less the same as the early 20s, those picks could well end up in the late 20s.
If we're giving up 23 for baker, we need to to be pushing for a 3rd round pick coming back from the tigers.

We cant just be handing out early ish picks for role players when we are rebuilding.

I'm not sure how you could be sitting through the last 3 years of our teams games and come to the conclusion we don't need to take an elite mid with pick 3 and that our midfield isn't a huge immediate need.
I dont know how anybody could sit through our games and not see that we need to find a way to transition the ball too, that comes from half back.
We have more than 1 issue that needs urgent attention, and it happens that we can trade in players to improve our midfield this year, there is nobody to improve our backline
Also given our lack of ability to develop players getting those players in who couldn't get games at their respective clubs isn't going to solve the problem.

Kelly and Yeo are our top end mids left on our list and Yeo breaks down and is 2 years from retirement and Kelly chooses when he wants to be involved in games and also 2 years from retirement.

Reid is new and a step in the right direction but may leave in 2 years time.

We seriously need to use 90 percent of our draft capital on midfielders before tassy comes in.
We only have so many picks, gotta pick where we prioritise.
I think people are writing off the impact a couple of mature age mids can have, sure they probably wont be elite but theyll make it easier for Yeo/Kelly/Reid.

I dont think taking a mid at pick 3 is the only way to play it. Id also be ok with trading our F1 into this year for pick 6 or something and taking Travaglia, but I know thats also unpopular as people want to be in the picture for Warner.

If we wanted to be as efficient as possible with our assets I dont see how what I suggested could be thought of as a bad play. I know people are stuck in their just take a mid mindset which is fine, but there are other options

I know everybody wants us to take a mid with pick 3, but I dont think we NEED to.

If we were to grab 2-3 mids from other clubs, youngish mids with potential but lacked opportunity being behind very strong midfields we could give it another year and then re-assess where we are at. They would be very cheap too.
We dont know what Hewett and Hall will be, Hewett could be an A-grader easily and if he is that would lower our need for a mid with a super early pick.

If we were to grab 2-3 of Erasmus, Dev, Prior, Garcia, Peatling, types, our midfield would have enough depth and elite talent with Reid and Hewett coming through. Chances are at least 1 of those guys traded in improve and become very solid contributors with increased opportunity and responsibility.
Their role would just to be extractors/defensive mids to let Reid/Hewett/Yeo/Kelly be the aggressive types anyway, its not a flashy high skill role theyd be expected to play
Should be able to secure 2-3 of these guys without touching our 1st or 2nd rounders this year. None of these guys would be guaranteed 23 games, put them against eachother, Hall, Culley(if retained), and our existing best 22 mids for spots.

With midfield not being a huge immediate need we could try to split pick 3, one I kinda like is 3 for 7+24 from the Saints. I think theyd go for it to secure one of the top mids, and theyll have band 1/2 compo for Battle so they might not mind upgrading as theyll have a 2nd 1st rounder anyway.

Go into the draft with 7+13+23+24+whatever we think we need to match Champion
Could grab Travaglia + Tauru + Oliver + whoever with 24(Dodson?) + Champion. If Tauru doesnt make it to 13 we take Lindsay at 13 and take a KPD at 23 instead.
2 outside halfback/wings, a KPD and a ruck/whatever else we want is a good haul thatd cover a lot of our list holes.

Thats 5 picks plus say 3 recruits, im sure we can manufacture 8 list spots

Thats our backline sorted long term, forward line more or less finished as long as we can get a few more goals from our smalls, a developing ruckman after Barnett seems to be a fail, and the midfield has enough that we could give them a year and see how it goes, then chase Warner next year who would finish the midfield if we could acquire him.

If we cant get Warner then we have our 2025 1st pick to draft what we need anyway
I think this is the way to go. Looking at Cal Twomey's latest phantom draft, we wouldn't want our first pick any lower than pick 6 and our second pick would ideally be no later than pick 10, though pick 13 would fall where Lindsay currently sits as you have alluded to.

If Port are prepared to accept Carlton’s pick 11 (which they are refusing to trade) for Houston and North Melbourne are prepared to pay their F1 for Houston I would consider putting pick 13 on the table if Port would accept it.

WCE OUT: 13, IN: F1 (NM)
NM OUT: F1, IN: Houston
PORT OUT: Houston, IN: 13

If we’re confident TT or Lindsay is there with 13 I’d rather take that, but the NM F1 will almost certainly get us a very good midfielder next year.

Realistically there will be 6 additional picks before our 2R (pick 23), pushing it out to pick 29.

Rough guide would be:

1-Ashcroft
6-Lombard
11-Kako
20-Marshall
22-Perryman Band 2 FA compo
*8 or 21-Battle Band 1 or 2 FA compo

Pick 13 is hugely valuable and will get the last player left in what I’d consider to be the top bracket of draftees.

Which is why we should give the tigers the Hawks F1 for baker and 21.

Then go into the draft
3 13 21 23 champion.

Still leaves us with our F1 (1-4) which we can split next year.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which is why we should give the tigers the Hawks F1 for baker and 21.

Then go into the draft
3 13 21 23 champion.

Still leaves us with our F1 (1-4) which we can split next year.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m now looking at the draft in terms of players, not picks. If we HAVE to trade for Baker and expect Lindsay and TT to be off the board at 13 then I’d prefer the slide to 21 this year as after those two and Berry there aren’t any players I think are exceptionally better than who we’d get at 21.

If Lindsay or TT are going to be available at 13 then I’d prefer trade the Hawks F1.

I’d also prefer that Xavier is correct to either option.

Haven’t looked at it like this year but apart from Sharp who has been my #1 all year I like Ludowyke, Duursma, Hibbins-Hargreaves, Emmett, Greeves and Duff-Tytler. Curtin is my WA pick with Uwland and Annable two of the better NGAs.

Top end is better, but doesn’t look like it will bat as deep overall.
1727392769212.png
Further to the above post and for anyone interested in the futures game tomorrow.

After giving Waterman a huge contract i see the eagles haven't learnt anything from the past.
They will be stupid enough to give pick 13 for Baker.

We would have to add Langdon as steak knives I'd imagine.
This got me thinking, do you reckon Hawks have salary? We could do a bit of a dodgy with them with Rotham to buy a pick or a combo of both teams buying picks.

Something like: they pay Rotham more than they should, we get lets say band 3. pick 24.
We pay a similar amount of Barrass's salary when we trade to them (so the salary side nets out for hawks).

They pay pick 13, f2 for barrass and our F3.

We end up with a better haul than we otherwise would have gotten.

With 13, 24 and an F2 (will help with points for next year).

They pay less than they otherwise would have 13, and a F2 downgrade, and get Rotham.

Workable, of is triggering band 3 too expensive?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we’re getting 13 and something for Barrass - likely to be a future pick/picks or swaps thereof

Will give us 3,13 and 23 as the genuine value in our draft hand

Assuming Baker is worth pick 23, which is fair value, would people prefer 3 and 13 to go into the draft with or 3,21 and 23 if the rumoured Baker trade eventuates

I get that some people don’t want Baker and would rather 3,13,23 as is but it seems the club thinks different
Really tough as an 8 pick downgrade would be good value for Baker.

That said, Baker's just a dumb trade for us, not what we need and he's not a window contributor. Whether we should do it depends on who we think would be available at those picks, but by my reckoning players like TT, Lindsay and Tauru will be genuine options at 13 therefore I would only do it personally if we think somebody like Dodson would still be there at 21.

The issue is, Richmond won't give us a deal this good if they did the club would be all over it.
Hope we realise though that getting him would be a saints move and a path to mediocrity, especially if we are paying more than this.

Well Jake has got his uplift after proving he is capable of performing at AFL level and manage his health issue.

Well deserved.

Now let's wait for Kane "The Pain" Cornes to write another article bagging us out.

Kane looks pretty silly after his last effort. Disgusted that Jake was seeking a new contract after signing a low value short term deal 12 months ago when lying in hospital.

I'm sure he won't disappoint.

I dont know how anybody could sit through our games and not see that we need to find a way to transition the ball too, that comes from half back.
We have more than 1 issue that needs urgent attention, and it happens that we can trade in players to improve our midfield this year, there is nobody to improve our backline

We only have so many picks, gotta pick where we prioritise.
I think people are writing off the impact a couple of mature age mids can have, sure they probably wont be elite but theyll make it easier for Yeo/Kelly/Reid.

I dont think taking a mid at pick 3 is the only way to play it. Id also be ok with trading our F1 into this year for pick 6 or something and taking Travaglia, but I know thats also unpopular as people want to be in the picture for Warner.
I'm OK with trading down pick 3 as long as we get access to one of the top 5 mids.

Pick 13 and another 1st rounder could get us the HBF we need, maybe Tauru, Trainer or Travaglia, but I'm also OK if it's another midfielder as there are good tall defenders later in the draft.

Not ok with trading early picks for players.

If Port are prepared to accept Carlton’s pick 11 (which they are refusing to trade) for Houston and North Melbourne are prepared to pay their F1 for Houston I would consider putting pick 13 on the table if Port would accept it.

WCE OUT: 13, IN: F1 (NM)
NM OUT: F1, IN: Houston
PORT OUT: Houston, IN: 13

If we’re confident TT or Lindsay is there with 13 I’d rather take that, but the NM F1 will almost certainly get us a very good midfielder next year.
3 x 1st round picks in 2025, could work as there are a couple of stand-out 17 year olds coming through

Hahaha mate you are absolutely clutching at straws there. Just ignore the majority of your post being wrong? Bless your heart trying so hard to prove that you weren’t completely incorrect. How embarrassing.

50,000+ posts and you still can’t handle someone coming back at you for being a smartarse and getting it wrong? So fragile.

You say I don’t quit but I wonder if your ego will allow you to not have the last word…

Go on, clog up this thread some more with your self-justified nonsense 🎣🎣

Love it. Absolutely love it. “If you ignore the bits of your post where you’re right, you’re wrong. You egomaniac, I bet you’ll need to have to last word. So if you try to defend yourself you’re clearly an egomaniac.
Better stay silent and let me get the last word. But that doesn’t make me an egomaniac, no. That’s only reserved for you. Because you clog up threads by <checks notes> responding to people who chime in and attack you when they weren’t even involved in the discussion to begin with, and then dig in. You’re the one clogging it up. Not them. Not me.”

Well let’s see if your ego forces YOU to reply and have the last word. Because it will be. Because I’m done here. Completely.

We have so many holes in our list, just take the best available and fill needs later on when we have a better idea of the next premiership list build.

Sounds great to say we need mids (and we do), but we also need a KPD and a HBF. Arguably, the main position of least need is KPF - but who knows if Waterman can continue his current output, if Williams continues to improve, where Maric ends up or what Reid (Archer) even turns out to be.

All in all, take best available and worry about positional needs later.

I'm OK with trading down pick 3 as long as we get access to one of the top 5 mids.

Pick 13 and another 1st rounder could get us the HBF we need, maybe Tauru, Trainer or Travaglia, but I'm also OK if it's another midfielder as there are good tall defenders later in the draft.

Not ok with trading early picks for players.
Id only trade our early picks for young players who can justify their price, but agree id rather not do it this year.

The one I want is Travaglia, its highly unlikely we get him at 13

We have so many holes in our list, just take the best available and fill needs later on when we have a better idea of the next premiership list build.

Sounds great to say we need mids (and we do), but we also need a KPD and a HBF. Arguably, the main position of least need is KPF - but who knows if Waterman can continue his current output, if Williams continues to improve, where Maric ends up or what Reid (Archer) even turns out to be.

All in all, take best available and worry about positional needs later.
Its all well and good to say just take best available, but we have been drafting for a few years now. We have some young players that we can be reasonably confident we can find something for every part of the ground except half back, wings, another mid or 2 and another KPD.

We can trade in cheap mids, we cant trade in the other roles this year, the players just arent available.
We would have a functioning lineup that can cover every role on the field if we split 3 in such a way that we guarantee Travaglia.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back