List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re getting way too caught up on fixing one position on the ground (with one specific player, who has a net total of 0 AFL games to his name).

I don’t disagree regarding our rebound out of defence being a glaring weakness, but we looked slightly better with Ginbey there (instead of as a mid), Maric I thought looked good back the little he played there and it is probably a little last-roll-of-the-dice move for Chesser in 2025 also.

I mean the easy short term fix would be keep TB, play TB + Edwards and Gov can be the elite interceptor plus distributor. Of course that is as short term fix to a long term problem - just like prioritising the 7-10th best player in the draft over the 3rd or 4th because he plays HBF…
Whats the difference between the mid we could pick at 3 or Travaglia at 7 or something? I dont think its a huge amount.
Im not looking purely short term, im trying to look at it in a way that maximises whats available to us.
I consider our backline to be just as big an issue as our midfield.
Let’s not overthink it. Take the quality mid, balance our draft and list with other picks and trades/FA’s and we will find our backline distributors with time (and they may well be on our list already)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think for the short term our KPDs are ok. Its the medium/small defenders that are a huge issue. Ginbey can run but he isnt an elite kick and doesnt create so much.
Pairing Ginbey with another running defender should be our aim imo.
Maric to play the 3rd tall

Whats the difference between the mid we could pick at 3 or Travaglia at 7 or something?
Running on this track for a moment. Let's say the Saints would take him with one of their picks. We would have to stay ahead of the Saints. I'll assume we wouldn't use pick 3 on Travaglia but would you use pick 6 on him? If so, would you split 3, combine picks (13, 23, etc) or bring forward picks (F1, Hawks' F1, F2) to achieve that?

You’re missing my point, why would Nth swap pick 13 for top 5 pick next year. They will be able to get better deals for that pick, people are over rating this draft if that’s what they think is the price you have to pay to get into the first round this year.
No I see your point perfectly and I share your view but my point is that according to the report Norf HAVE offered their F1 for Houston.

That’s Norf’s view, not mine. I think they are nuts to do that trade but obviously if the report is accurate then they value Houston as much as (if not more) than their F1.

Running on this track for a moment. Let's say the Saints would take him with one of their picks. We would have to stay ahead of the Saints. I'll assume we wouldn't use pick 3 on Travaglia but would you use pick 6 on him? If so, would you split 3, combine picks (13, 23, etc) or bring forward picks (F1, Hawks' F1, F2) to achieve that?
Id ask anyone who has a pick from 4-7. Saints, whoever has 6, Melbourne and Adelaide for their best offer.
I dont know but id imagine the Saints would be interested in trading up for one of the top few mids, for the price of a 2nd round pick. Richmond the same.
Tbh id almost take him with any of those picks, doesnt really matter as long as we got something half decent along with that pick for splitting 3.

Id rather not use our F1 on him tbh, but id consider other moves. I know future picks arent worth as much and this years draft seems to have a bit of a premium on it.

-I don’t think Ginbey will ever be a full time mid but I’ll go early and think he has all the attributes to be a AA h/b.
- Haven’t seen buggar all of him but A .Reid sounds like he will be a gun .203cm takes a screamer,lands like a cat ( coaches words) and prides himself on his pressure.What’s there not to like?

Id ask anyone who has a pick from 4-7. Saints, whoever has 6, Melbourne and Adelaide for their best offer.
I dont know but id imagine the Saints would be interested in trading up for one of the top few mids, for the price of a 2nd round pick. Richmond the same.
Tbh id almost take him with any of those picks, doesnt really matter as long as we got something half decent along with that pick for splitting 3.

Id rather not use our F1 on him tbh, but id consider other moves. I know future picks arent worth as much and this years draft seems to have a bit of a premium on it.
I think that ship has sailed. Waterman and change
to Melbourne for pick 5 was realistically the only way we could trade into the very pointy end of the draft with GCS seemingly having pick 6 stupidly reserved for Rioli. Crows won’t give up pick 4.

Richmond wanting Jagga and FOS seems to be gathering steam, again if we insist on Baker then 3, 23 and Hawks F1 for 6, 9 and Baker might be something we’d explore if the Barrass cards fall that way.

If we wanted to be as efficient as possible with our assets I dont see how what I suggested could be thought of as a bad play. I know people are stuck in their just take a mid mindset which is fine, but there are other options

It’s because apart from Harley last year we haven’t drafted any decent mids in a decade. We keep trying to grab mids in the second and third round and it hasn’t worked. I’m not counting Ginbey because at the time he looked better suited to half back and it seems to have worked out that way and like u said Hewett is a ? So you can’t count him.
You talk about topping up with Dev, Garcia, Carrol etc but not sure any of them are good enough to be premium midfielders.

Ginbey, Hough, Yeo, Hunt, Duggan, Gov, Maric can run off the half back for the time being. I’d rather put Yeo back and bring in a gun mid then draft a hbf with pick 3 tbh.

Our mid drafting in the last 10yrs prior to Harley last year.
Hall 38
Ginbey 9 ? / HBF
Hewett 14
Chesser 14
Clark 62
Ledwards 52
Winder 57
X O’Neil 28
Ainsworth 32
H Brayshaw 68
Venebles 13
Partington 28
Nelson 51

We’ve got Yeo and Kelly hanging on in there as our top 2 possession winners and then nothing else coming up behind them. Mid is absolutely the priority

Would we do 3 and Hawks F1 for 7 and 8?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think that ship has sailed. Waterman and change
to Melbourne for pick 5 was realistically the only way we could trade into the very pointy end of the draft with GCS seemingly having pick 6 stupidly reserved for Rioli. Crows won’t give up pick 4.
I still think the Saints might be interested in doing a swap to get into the top 3
Richmond wanting Jagga and FOS seems to be gathering steam, again if we insist on Baker then 3, 23 and Hawks F1 for 6, 9 and Baker might be something we’d explore if the Barrass cards fall that way.
6 and 9 would be a great spot to be in, id be very tempted to still take Travaglia with 6 there, and then whoever we think is best at 9.
Travaglia at 6, Tauru at 9, and Lindsay at 13?

At least there is something to barrack for on GF day? Would’ve tipped us for another wooden spoon but surely Prestia blows both hammies is the first 20m. Genuinely never heard of Oliver Sestan…

View attachment 2123202

Fantasia clearly desperate to be able to tell people he competed on Grand Final day and hope they don't ask any follow up questions.

It’s because apart from Harley last year we haven’t drafted any decent mids in a decade. We keep trying to grab mids in the second and third round and it hasn’t worked. I’m not counting Ginbey because at the time he looked better suited to half back and it seems to have worked out that way and like u said Hewett is a ? So you can’t count him.
You talk about topping up with Dev, Garcia, Carrol etc but not sure any of them are good enough to be premium midfielders.

Ginbey, Hough, Yeo, Hunt, Duggan, Gov, Maric can run off the half back for the time being. I’d rather put Yeo back and bring in a gun mid then draft a hbf with pick 3 tbh.

Hall 38
Ginbey 9 ? / HBF
Hewett 14
Chesser 14
Clark 62
Ledwards 52
Winder 57
X O’Neil 28
Ainsworth 32
H Brayshaw 68
Venebles 13
Partington 28
Nelson 51

We’ve got Yeo and Kelly hanging on in there as our top 2 possession winners and then nothing else coming up behind them. Mid is absolutely the priority
100% correct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hall 38
Ginbey 9 ? / HBF
Hewett 14
Chesser 14
Clark 62
Ledwards 52
Winder 57
X O’Neil 28
Ainsworth 32
H Brayshaw 68
Venebles 13
Partington 28
Nelson 51

Im still going to maintain that in my opinion our half back line is the most important spot to draft for this year, while there are options there.

As ive said in other comments, we can make a competent, functioning midfield with Reid, Yeo, Kelly and whichever mids we recruit. Theres enough quality out there that we could put together a makeshift midfield that wouldnt get smashed every week. Remove Ginbey, Duggan, Petch, and Trew from our midfield in 2024 and replace them with actual mids, it'd make a big difference.

What we cant do is transition the ball, thats half back and wing issues. Theres no short term fixes for this, if we dont draft for it this year then we are left hoping that a suitable player lands at our picks next year, a year where we have a f/s and 2 academy kids(we probably only have our 1st pick to use)

Hall 38
Ginbey 9 ? / HBF
Hewett 14
Chesser 14
Clark 62
Ledwards 52
Winder 57
X O’Neil 28
Ainsworth 32
H Brayshaw 68
Venebles 13
Partington 28
Nelson 51

Yep 100% while we're absolute horseshit mids have to be the priority at the pointy end of the draft, otherwise we'll end up mid-table wonders at the absolute best (like Essendon).

Im still going to maintain that in my opinion our half back line is the most important spot to draft for this year, while there are options there.

As ive said in other comments, we can make a competent, functioning midfield with Reid, Yeo, Kelly and whichever mids we recruit. Theres enough quality out there that we could put together a makeshift midfield that wouldnt get smashed every week. Remove Ginbey, Duggan, Petch, and Trew from our midfield in 2024 and replace them with actual mids, it'd make a big difference.

What we cant do is transition the ball, thats half back and wing issues.

Yes, so we draft Lindsay at 13 to play hbf/wing or Oliver at 23 to run off half back. Ginbey will improve his rebound off half back with a preseason playing def. Maric was starting to distribute in the second half of the year and Yeo will move back as well you would think.
Chesser is probably more suited there and Hough will build his attacking game as well.
Developing mids could play across half back as well.
I don’t disagree that we need those players just disagree with your priority.

I still think the Saints might be interested in doing a swap to get into the top 3

6 and 9 would be a great spot to be in, id be very tempted to still take Travaglia with 6 there, and then whoever we think is best at 9.
Travaglia at 6, Tauru at 9, and Lindsay at 13?
I’m not as big on Tauru as others. I’d ensure we can get Lindsay at 13 then perhaps offer Swans 9 for 18 and 19.

I’d then offer 19 and our F2 to Essendon for 28 and their F1 after a Kako bid (or before if they don’t want to go into deficit) on the provisio they make a Band 5 offer to Rotham.

6-TT
13-Lindsay
18-Hynes
28-O’Farrell/Mraz
42-Johnson
59-Champion match
64-Dennis
Baker

2025: R1, R1 (ESS), R3, R4

Means we turn 3,23,F2, Rotham and Barrass into 6,13,18,28,42, Baker and Essendon’s F1.

HBF, 4 mids, 2KPDs, Champion and Essendon F1 to use or get Warner next year.

Yes, so we draft Lindsay at 13 to play hbf/wing or Oliver at 23 to run off half back. Ginbey will improve his rebound off half back with a preseason playing def. Maric was starting to distribute in the second half of the year and Yeo will move back as well you would think.
Chesser is probably more suited there and Hough will build his attacking game as well.
Developing mids could play across half back as well.
I don’t disagree that we need those players just disagree with your priority.
Thats an option too. Im just considering we need a KPD to replace Gov too, and we may be trading for Baker.

If we swapped 3 for 7+24 from the Saints, that gets us Travaglia(7), Tauru/Lindsay(13), a Oliver/KPD(23/24) and Baker(with pick 23/24).

We will almost certainly get a mid with our 1st pick next year, there will be one available. Thats our partner for Harley, if Hewett doesnt come good next year

I do think people here are underrating the impact/importance of a good half back quite a bit

I’m not as big on Tauru as others. I’d ensure we can get Lindsay at 13 then perhaps offer Swans 9 for 18 and 19.

I’d then offer 19 and our F2 to Essendon for 28 and their F1 after a Kako bid (or before if they don’t want to go into deficit) on the provisio they make a Band 5 offer to Rotham.

6-TT
13-Lindsay
18-Hynes
28-O’Farrell/Mraz
42-Johnson
59-Champion match
64-Dennis
Baker

Means we turn 3,23,F2, Rotham and Barrass into 6,13,18,28,42, Baker and Essendon’s F1.

3 and 23 for saints 7 and 8

Hawks F1 for baker and 21

7 8 13 21 42 59

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats an option too. Im just considering we need a KPD to replace Gov too, and we may be trading for Baker.

If we swapped 3 for 7+24 from the Saints, that gets us Travaglia(7), Tauru/Lindsay(13), a Oliver/KPD(23/24) and Baker(with pick 23/24).

We will almost certainly get a mid with our 1st pick next year, there will be one available. Thats our partner for Harley, if Hewett doesnt come good next year

I do think people here are underrating the impact/importance of a good half back quite a bit

There is a reason TT is rated in the 7-10 range in an even draft though (one that doesn’t have the elite top end of more recent drafts).

If he is worth shaping our whole trade/draft strategy around (I.e. HR last year) then keep 3 and take TT there.

Otherwise, we have holes all over the park, let’s look to improve and if we miss out on one guy who a poster has a man crush on (DS/Sheldrick territories today) then so be it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

6-TT
13-Lindsay
18-Hynes
28-O’Farrell/Mraz
42-Johnson
59-Champion match
64-Dennis
Baker

I think at least one of those late picks will turn into a mid of some sort from another club, but looks good I dont mind it.

My only concern is if this leaves us starting to get too many kids?
Sounds like a weird concern but adding 6 or 7 teenagers to a list thats already so young, then at least 4 more next year is almost going too far in that direction imo.
I dont think its quite necessary to go that hard at getting kids, especially when so few are from the early parts of the draft.

Almost better off recruiting some cheap players instead of the late picks, and trying to move up the order a bit more imo

Geelong have 0 elite midfielders.

If we cant get Warner next year we still have a likely top 4 pick to spend on a mid. I wouldnt be too concerned there

The actual thing a team needs is rebounders and creators from half back, the top 7 on the ladder have A-graders at doing this. We dont even have C-graders
And they didn't win the premiership. Frankly, I think they had a fortunate year, overperformed and will fall away again next year.

Our no.1 priority has to be an elite level mid to partner with Harley.

Our current midfield is both thin and shallow.
Two of the three pillars are both aging and injury prone. It can’t all be left on Harley with a few part timers and b and c grade fillers.

As good as he is Harley is only 19-20. It can’t all be left on him. Too much responsibility.
Recruiting of the last few years has been disastrous apart from the odd win.

Unfortunate that Baker is putting a spanner in the works of this year’s drafting.
A ruthless team would just pass him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back