List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this thinking and before posters go on about Rotham being a FA, so were Tarrant (Norf to Tigers) and Gunston (Hawks to Lions) and the clubs colluded on an unnecessary trades to ensure the FA compo was not lost. Take our turn at the AFL hand out well and let our trade partner join us.

Assuming we do the salary pick purchase with Hawks of Barrass with $400k of salalry paid for 2 years plus F3 for 13 and F1. I would then go to Suns and see if they would trade 20 for Hawks F1

The trade hands of
2024 - 3 13 20 23 28 and 60
2025 - F1 F2 Dons R3 and F4
If our assessment of hawks 2025 finishing position is top 4 then I agree with all this. Very good draft to have a handful of picks in the 20s and maintain a strong presence in every round next year 👍

Fingers crossed there is something to this.
However, Essendon don't have much draft capital this trade period (Picks 8, 28, 82) so I'm not sure what would get this done?

Future 3rd or possible fringe player in return?

View attachment 2123410
Given we want Tom Clurrey for some stupid reason do we take Jayden Laverde instead and just do a like for like swap

Id rather none of the above also as both are atrocious but between the 2 id prefer Laverde

View attachment 2123236
Further to the above post and for anyone interested in the futures game tomorrow.
18 NGA, Northern Academy or Father Son kids there.

I know from the draft board, one of the WA watchers was saying not all the top WA kids got selected as some of the nga kids got selected ahead of them.

A couple of posters have been saying for the last couple of years there’s been a bit of an agenda to select club tied kids in the AA teams and Futures squad.

Your suggestions at pick 28 make me very nervous.

Both O'Farrell and Mraz have serious durability concern's:

• O'Farrell just cant stay on the park as he seems to be very injury prone.
  • Mraz has a serious foot injury.

These two will be high risk high reward, type picks and I don't believe that for where we are in our rebuild, that theses type of injury prone players should be considered.

Other than pick 28 I do like the players that you suggest. :thumbsu:

For the record I am one of those that rate Tauru, I think he has a lot of the tools necessary for the modern game, I guess the question regarding him is just where would his best position be in the AFL.
Personally I see him as playing a role like Jack Crisp at Collingwood.
What Tauru does have is size, pace, good footy IQ and is fearless at the contest. All ticks in my book.
Has grown nicely as a player as the year has progressed and looks to be on an upward trajectory. I think he could play a number of roles at AFL level and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone anyway by pick 13.

I assume we would get pick 4 if Barrass was a free agent? Instead we try and do the right thing, sign him up on a long term contract, and then potentially end up subsidising his salary and getting a late first rounder plus a slight pick upgrade next year 🤪 (according to Twomey anyway)

almost be better off having a way of cancelling someone’s contract when they ask to leave, allowing you to exploit the ridiculous FA compo arrangement

What Tauru does have is size, pace, good footy IQ and is fearless at the contest. All ticks in my book.
Has grown nicely as a player as the year has progressed and looks to be on an upward trajectory. I think he could play a number of roles at AFL level and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone anyway by pick 13.
Josh Weddle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Corn and King are correct

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm sure it was covered earlier in this thread, but i imagine the reason he's been extended now is that we have space, and they will front end it now, so that we aren't paying a premium when we need to pay Harley and whatever other youngsters we have that are deserving.

If reports are correct that it tails off in the back end/stays reasonably flat at worst, then it's a good deal, as it means that as a portion of the cap it reduces.

If he decides to then do a Tommy Barrass in a couple of years we get picks for trading a contracted player.

Jesus, Jai Culley in the sprint.
Literally nobody else on the list wanted a free GF ticket?
I reckon this decision would have been based 90% on who:
a) is in Melbourne anyway
b) hasn't had surgery or had to take it easy to recover
c) is maintaining a solid training load (he would be doing more than most to try to get back you'd think)

I hadn’t considered him for a Jack Crisp role, what attributes about Tauru have lead you to that view?

• Can play on smalls and tall's.
  • Very strong overhead and plays taller than his height.
  • Reads the flight of the ball exceptionally well and consequently is a great interceptor, very strong hands in the mark.
  • Has run and carry.
  • Generally makes good decisions.
  • Has good spatial awareness.
  • Great tackler.
Another player who I see some similarity with is Nick Blakey of the Sydney Swans.

What Tauru does have is size, pace, good footy IQ and is fearless at the contest. All ticks in my book. Agree.:whitecheck:

I think he plays his best football between the two 50 metre arcs, and he was somewhat wasted at the start of the season when Gippy played him too deep in the backline.

The longer the season went the better he got and as you rightly say he has ascended up boards at a rapid rate, I thought the further up the ground he played the more rapid the ascension was.

Cornes has opinion and it's as usual wrong. We've lost Barrass, Darling, Gaff on top of those guys demanding big money in Hurn, Naitanui & Shuey.

If we give Waterman a highly front-loaded contract that will see him at the club for the next five years, we can meet our short-term salary cap obligations, tie down a hard-working goal kicker who sets standards on and off the field and then see our salary cap space open up in the next few years.

Imo with Sydney its Gulden mostly. Shut him down and the Swans lose most of their transition ball. Sydney have their own style that works for them, Gulden tbh brings way too much to their side.

From watching the good teams this year, I noticed they struggle the most when a certain player gets tagged or a certain role is missing. That role is their creative types off half back.
GWS cant do anything without Whitfield. Brisbane were awful after losing Coleman until they put Zorko in the half back role. Geelong couldnt do anything for a period in the middle of the year when Stewart was tagged every week. Dogs the first man tagged in many games was Dale. Freo its Clark. Saints its Sinclair.

We dont have a player on the list that could even play this role.
I think we do.

I've been saying it for a few years now, we should get Lian Ryan playing this role.

It'd give him a new lease on life, not just a new role but keep him involved a lot more.

His vision is excellent, he's a very good field kick who can be creative and he's pretty quick.

I suspect he'd get some good intercept marks too once he gets a better feel for the role.

The Corn and King are correct

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am happy to disagree with you and your soul mate the Cornholer.

Melbourne were coming hard and as we know, a contract with a year to go mean very little. Would you have been ok trading Waterman for pick 4?

You and the Cornholer have no idea on what had been agreed in a handshake 12 months ago and you have no idea what incentives are in the contract

Meanwhile, the Cornhole hard nosed approach is really going to get our young brigade ready to sign up early.

Win the war not the battles

Can you bet on last position in the sprint?
The race to avoid last might be more interesting than the race for first.

Culley, Hobbs, Sheldrick and the biggest lmao of them all, Prestia is such a piss take

I am happy to disagree with you and your soul mate the Cornholer.

Melbourne were coming hard and as we know, a contract with a year to go mean very little. Would you have been ok trading Waterman for pick 4?

You and the Cornholer have no idea on what had been agreed in a handshake 12 months ago and you have no idea what incentives are in the contract

Meanwhile, the Cornhole hard nosed approach is really going to get our young brigade ready to sign up early.

Win the war not the battles
I mean, I understand and agree with the contract, but **** yeah I would have done that trade in a heartbeat.

• Can play on smalls and tall's.
  • Very strong overhead and plays taller than his height.
  • Reads the flight of the ball exceptionally well and consequently is a great interceptor, very strong hands in the mark.
  • Has run and carry.
  • Generally makes good decisions.
  • Has good spatial awareness.
  • Great tackler.
Another player who I see some similarity with is Nick Blakey of the Sydney Swans.
Very much agree on his strengths. I’d love a Nick Blakey aggressive line breaker it’s exactly what we need off half back and one of the main reasons I’m so keen on getting Lindsay to play further up the ground.

I just wonder if Tauru was recruited with the Blakey type role in mind, does he possess the disposal required to keep possession of the ball once the lines are broken. I’m not saying he’s J Jones but he is a classic example of pace and line breaking meaning SFA if you can’t then find a team mate. Absolutely agree with you he makes good decisions, just a matter of whether he can execute them with the pace of AFL if he’s not playing a tall defender role.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back