List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Can play on smalls and tall's.
  • Very strong overhead and plays taller than his height.
  • Reads the flight of the ball exceptionally well and consequently is a great interceptor, very strong hands in the mark.
  • Has run and carry.
  • Generally makes good decisions.
  • Has good spatial awareness.
  • Great tackler.
Another player who I see some similarity with is Nick Blakey of the Sydney Swans.

I think he plays his best football between the two 50 metre arcs, and he was somewhat wasted at the start of the season when Gippy played him too deep in the backline.

The longer the season went the better he got and as you rightly say he has ascended up boards at a rapid rate, I thought the further up the ground he played the more rapid the ascension was.
Your attributes read every part about what I loved about Brad Sheppard as a player. He did the above so well, except perhaps in his ability to damage with the ball. Wasn't by any means a bad kick, but didn't always use it to damage, more be effective and clean. Is there any similarities in the two?

Really happy waterman signed on but really hasn't the club learnt long term contracts they just don't work. We will be online sooty and moaning about Jakes contract in 2 years. But at least if another club wants him they will have to pay dearly.
If the downside of having to 'reward' a 5 year contract to a player that went from solid C-grade at best to starting All Australian level, so be it.

Heck if the other 20 odd or so players on our list want to do the same, I'll be happy to throw these contracts out like Oprah.

A couple of thoughts and questions:

Where does the Murphy Reid being interstate hesitant stuff come from? From the inside word from Phil and the likes, or from the media.

Also, if Richmond seem to genuinely think Rioli is worth MORE than even pick 6, what stupid inflated price will they put on Bolton and Baker?

As for Jai Culley, maybe they're waiting to see how he goes in the grand final sprint

Where does the Murphy Reid being interstate hesitant stuff come from? From the inside word from Phil and the likes, or from the media.

Also, if Richmond seem to genuinely think Rioli is worth MORE than even pick 6, what stupid inflated price will they put on Bolton and Baker?

As for Jai Culley, maybe they're waiting to see how he goes in the grand final sprint
If richmond got offered 6 for rioli from any other club they are taking that and running out the door. It's only because its gold coast they'll be testing the waters to see just how much they can take the p155 on the deal. The sooner the afl sort that basketcase out the better.

Thats an option too. Im just considering we need a KPD to replace Gov too, and we may be trading for Baker.

If we swapped 3 for 7+24 from the Saints, that gets us Travaglia(7), Tauru/Lindsay(13), a Oliver/KPD(23/24) and Baker(with pick 23/24).

We will almost certainly get a mid with our 1st pick next year, there will be one available. Thats our partner for Harley, if Hewett doesnt come good next year

I do think people here are underrating the impact/importance of a good half back quite a bit
I think you've been raising some good and interesting ideas here. But the thing is many of the best HBF's can come from failed midfielders/wings anyway (typically those with very good kicking skills and a bit of height).

Whilst I get the allure of Travaglia, I'm not sure he's a good enough kick to pick in the top 7 (over a true mid), especially if it's on the basis he's going to be our designated kicker. His kicking might not be to that elite standard you need for that position at AFL level. If that was really what we were prioritising, then I reckon FOS might be the best option with his kicking and good skills overhead and we would need pick 3 for a shot at him anyway.

With IM being one of the hardest positions to play, Yeo and Kelly almost gone, we really do need another option besides Reid starting to develop this year as it can take 3-5 years for players to be ready.

For perspective, here's what I reckon our team (current list) could like like in 3 years, with some rankings.
1727443144246.png

Based on my somewhat subjective ratings our biggest issue is that centre line and KPD. With a chance Reid could move to a KPD position, that leaves mids and wings our clear biggest need imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you've been raising some good and interesting ideas here. But the thing is many of the best HBF's can come from failed midfielders/wings anyway (typically those with very good kicking skills and a bit of height).
Sometimes yes, the truly elite HBFs are generally HBFs from the start though. Their ball use and speed generally gets them put there from an early age. I do think the game has changed in the last few years to a spot where you want your best outside players at half back, rather than further up the ground like wouldve been the case 10 years ago.
You can argue the half backs are failed mids, but really they were just half backs to begin with. Its a different skillset, arguably more important.
Whilst I get the allure of Travaglia, I'm not sure he's a good enough kick to pick in the top 7 (over a true mid), especially if it's on the basis he's going to be our designated kicker. His kicking might not be to that elite standard you need for that position at AFL level. If that was really what we were prioritising, then I reckon FOS might be the best option with his kicking and good skills overhead and we would need pick 3 for a shot at him anyway.

With IM being one of the hardest positions to play, Yeo and Kelly almost gone, we really do need another option besides Reid starting to develop this year as it can take 3-5 years for players to be ready.
While it might be one of the highest ceiling roles, imo its also one of the easiest to fill with competent players. Geelong will always be the example I go back to, theyve got a bunch of plodders and 35 year old Dangerfield in the middle. Look at their 2022 midfield and its the same, but with 34 year old Selwood and 32 year old Danger. Look at Collingwood last year, it was Daicos, DeGoey and a bunch of slow boring defensive mids who did roles.
If we have Harley, Hewett and a top 4 pick next year, that should already be enough to win a premiership as long as we have our other lines sorted. Lets be honest we arent going out to draft role players with first round picks, we are drafting the more offensive players. 2-3 of those is all we need.
We can trade in more role players as we move up the ladder too for relatively cheap.
For perspective, here's what I reckon our team (current list) could like like in 3 years, with some rankings.
View attachment 2123972

Based on my somewhat subjective ratings our biggest issue is that centre line and KPD. With a chance Reid could move to a KPD position, that leaves mids and wings our clear biggest need imo.
I agree I see HEdwards and Bazzo as our talls, and I have very little confidence in our KPDs, im sure theyll both be capable but dont have any faith theyll be A-graders.
To me, your 3 years time needs wings more than anything. Guys like Travaglia, Maric, Ginbey and Duggan id much prefer to have on a wing than Chesser or Dewar.
Benefit of drafting the half back types is they can often also play wing, and our current defenders can also play on a wing

Im not just looking at it from the perspective of 3 years time, im also looking at our list for 2025 and 2026.
FB Hough HEdwards Duggan
HB Maric Gov Ginbey
-Cole bench
Bazzo and Witherden are the only 2 other defenders on the list, assuming we even put Maric into the backline. A clear need for depth. We have just delisted a couple of defenders and Rotham is more than likely gone.

If we secured Parfitt and Dev for example as 2 mature age mids who cost basically nothing, we have a midfield roster of Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Hall, Parfitt, Dev and Hewett to work with. Add guys like Hutch and Chesser we have enough to form a competent midfield. Parfitt and Dev are defensively minded enough to be accountable at stoppages, meaning we dont get thrashed in there as often.
Add a top pick mid or Warner in 2025 draft and what else do we really need in there?
Draft another mid in 2026 with whatever pick we end up with and we have plenty of young talent coming through, we dont need exclusively top 10 pick mids

In my mind thats our midfield sorted

We want to be competitive, we need to. We need to start playing a modern gamestyle, we cant do that if we dont have players who can perform it. That means speed and transition.
I can see the new coach having a very rough time if we cant give him a decent list.

Tldr: My thinking is we need a few A-graders(potential AA calibre) all over the park. We have a couple in the forward line, we have Harley in the midfield, and we have nobody in the backline. We might have Hewett, and im assuming our 2025 1st pick gets us another Agrade mid, so 2-3 in the midfield.
A good team needs at least 6 lets say. If we split that up lets aim for at least 2 fwds, 2 mids, and 2 defenders.
Means we just need to find defenders. Cant just rely on finding another Gov or Barrass later in the draft, reality is most clubs dont find them at all.

I think you've been raising some good and interesting ideas here.
All the melting over hypotheticals was getting old :tearsofjoy:

Your attributes read every part about what I loved about Brad Sheppard as a player. He did the above so well, except perhaps in his ability to damage with the ball. Wasn't by any means a bad kick, but didn't always use it to damage, more be effective and clean. Is there any similarities in the two?

Oh absolutely, many similarities .... the point of difference is that The Viking, additionally has positional versatility that Shep didn't have.

The Viking has a point of difference, that being, he can also press forward and have an impact.

There is a touch of James Sicily in the way Alix has scope to play.

Oh absolutely, many similarities .... the point of difference is that The Viking, additionally has positional versatility that Shep didn't have.

The Viking has a point of difference, that being, he can also press forward and have an impact.

There is a touch of James Sicily in the way Alix has scope to play.
Where do I sign?

I'm sure it was covered earlier in this thread, but i imagine the reason he's been extended now is that we have space, and they will front end it now, so that we aren't paying a premium when we need to pay Harley and whatever other youngsters we have that are deserving.

If reports are correct that it tails off in the back end/stays reasonably flat at worst, then it's a good deal, as it means that as a portion of the cap it reduces.

If he decides to then do a Tommy Barrass in a couple of years we get picks for trading a contracted player.
Also it was reported there were triggers to earn the big bucks in the later years. This could be based on goals kicked or BnF performance. So if he isn't playing to the standard, the value falls away.

I'm curious about this also, he looks amazing in his highlights and would compliment out midfield group nicely.

Half watching the replay of last years GF

Dev Robertson had some genuinely good moments

Would be quite happy if we had another crack at getting him across, especially if it only takes something like the pick we get for Darling

Because it's the most meaningless competition in the AFL, which is saying something.
I vaguely remember back in the day there was some kind of distance running competition between the codes. The AFLs representative was Derek kickett...that was surely a joke by them

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dev on a considerable deal?

That doesnt sound right.

What fringe players are on considerable money?
It’s Jon Ralph. He also said in the same article that St Kilda wouldn’t pay pick 43 for McCrae but would be happy to pay a 3R draft pick. 43 is a 3R draft pick. He’s almost as stupid as McClure.

I think Elite Pete suggestion of 64 for Dev would get it done. I’d rather swap F4s but Lions will want points this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back