List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred Rodriguez was super impressive as a bottom ager for WA at this years champs, and showed more of the same in the futures game. Super clean at ground level and damaging with his disposals combining dash, elite decision making and solid ball skills to slice through the opposition.

Jesus I thought this bloke was a left footer going off the first few disposals I saw watching this game live. But it actually looks like he’s a natural right footer based off the long kick from a mark at 2:30 of this video.

Kid is genuinely dual sided though and seems to have good burst with decent disposal by hand too. I like the look of him for 2025.

I hope we abandon our Jack Graham pursuit and just trade a token pick for Deven Robertson to come be our defensive mid.

I try to be. I have a youtube channel where I post videos of draft prospect game footage which I hope is useful.
i wasn't trying to throw shade, sorry if it came accross that way.
i just found it funny to every now and then get player highlights in the middle of a discussion about something else, and then very little other interaction.
was just not the norm for how i had seen people approach bigfooty in general.

I hope we abandon our Jack Graham pursuit and just trade a token pick for Deven Robertson to come be our defensive mid.
IMG_2677.jpeg

Our midfield rotation of 3.5 players is nowhere near good enough to ride out a full game let alone full season, and if our midfield depth improves to the point that someone plays WAFL, that will go a long way to helping the kids develop in both teams.

It’s just cash, and we should have plenty of it.

Absolutely. If anything the plan should be for Yeo and Kelly eventually dropping OUT of that rotation as well. Yeo, to preserve his AFL career as an explosive player after years of bash and crash, whilst Kelly because he plays his best footy outside of the contest, preferably forward of centre.

Plenty or room to add a pure midfielder draftee, along with a couple mature bodied pickups as well.

I legit see no reason why Clay Hall shouldn't be starting, or at least rotated through the CBD's come round 1 either. Take Hall out and the midfield depth on our list currently is bordering on non existent.

Jesus I thought this bloke was a left footer going off the first few disposals I saw watching this game live. But it actually looks like he’s a natural right footer based off the long kick from a mark at 2:30 of this video.

Kid is genuinely dual sided though and seems to have good burst with decent disposal by hand too. I like the look of him for 2025.
Wow his kicking looks outstanding.
Add to his good size, clearly provides run & link up.
An awful lot to like.

Players traded out :

Barass - pick 13 is a given so it becomes what else Hawthorn attach to that as the interesting part of the trade. Pick 30 would be handy but unlikely to be offered as it would leave Hawthorn as a non factor in this draft since their first pick would be 67

Consensus seems to be we’ll ask for their F1 but with something going back. Probably our F2. If that’s the case I’d be pushing for Hawthorn’s F2 making the trade Barrass for 13,F1 and a swap of F2s (If positions are the same as 2024 then that trade is Barrass and 21 for 13,13 and 31 before shenanigans)

Darling - far simpler proposition. Would like to get 40 off North and send 59 back with Darling but that won’t happen. Instead it’s more likely to be Darling for pick 64 and thank him for his service. Maybe we haggle for 58 but it’s not much difference at that point of the draft

Rotham - a small possibility he gets picked up as a FA with a contract of sufficient length and value to generate band 5 compo which would be pick 42. We can but dream Crazy Vozzo and Rosa do us a solid with Dodoro gone

So best case scenario from the above is we hold picks 3,13,23,42,59,64 in this year’s draft plus 2xF1 picks (ours and Hawthorns), Hawthorns F2 and our F3,F4 and onwards

Then how best to use those assets in either trades or take to the draft

Trades/FA in :

FA - if we get the Rotham compensation mentioned above then Graham is no longer free as we’d lose that pick if we sign Graham as a FA. So bypass him and chase Parfitt as a DFA who’s roughly equivalent in ability and won’t jeopardise that pick

Peatling is the dream but if he does decide to leave GWS he has better suitors than us. That makes Garcia the next best player we’ve been linked to - ideally our F3 would be enough but expect the Bulldogs to request the Rotham compo pick if that happens, which I’d do - maybe with their F4 coming back

Then Carroll or Robertson depending on which of them asks to be traded to us. Probably Robertson. Send Brisbane the 64 we got for Darling, 59 if we’re feeling benevolent

Finally, the most controversial potential acquisition - Liam Baker. He unquestionably improves our best 22 but trade cost has always been the issue. Suggestions are that it’s pick 13 for Baker and 21 which is likely fair value but I’d rather send the Hawthorn F1 instead of 13

Best case scenario from all the above is :

Out: Barrass, Darling, Rotham (with FA compo), F2
In: Baker, Garcia, Robertson, Parfitt, 21, F2(Haw), F4(WB)

Draft picks 2024 - 3,13,21,23,59
Draft picks 2025 - R1,R2(Haw),R3,R4,R4(WB)

Need to open up 9 list spots so

Barrass, Darling, Rotham - Trade/FA
Jones, Trew, Baker - Already delisted
Witherden, L Edwards, one of Culley or Burgiel - to be delisted

Would be happy if Clark can pull that off albeit I think I’d rather use/keep the picks than trade them for Baker

Players traded out :

Barass - pick 13 is a given so it becomes what else Hawthorn attach to that as the interesting part of the trade. Pick 30 would be handy but unlikely to be offered as it would leave Hawthorn as a non factor in this draft since their first pick would be 67

Consensus seems to be we’ll ask for their F1 but with something going back. Probably our F2. If that’s the case I’d be pushing for Hawthorn’s F2 making the trade Barrass for 13,F1 and a swap of F2s (If positions are the same as 2024 then that trade is Barrass and 21 for 13,13 and 31 before shenanigans)

Darling - far simpler proposition. Would like to get 40 off North and send 59 back with Darling but that won’t happen. Instead it’s more likely to be Darling for pick 64 and thank him for his service. Maybe we haggle for 58 but it’s not much difference at that point of the draft

Rotham - a small possibility he gets picked up as a FA with a contract of sufficient length and value to generate band 5 compo which would be pick 42. We can but dream Crazy Vozzo and Rosa do us a solid with Dodoro gone

So best case scenario from the above is we hold picks 3,13,23,42,59,64 in this year’s draft plus 2xF1 picks (ours and Hawthorns), Hawthorns F2 and our F3,F4 and onwards

Then how best to use those assets in either trades or take to the draft

Trades/FA in :

FA - if we get the Rotham compensation mentioned above then Graham is no longer free as we’d lose that pick if we sign Graham as a FA. So bypass him and chase Parfitt as a DFA who’s roughly equivalent in ability and won’t jeopardise that pick

Peatling is the dream but if he does decide to leave GWS he has better suitors than us. That makes Garcia the next best player we’ve been linked to - ideally our F3 would be enough but expect the Bulldogs to request the Rotham compo pick if that happens, which I’d do - maybe with their F4 coming back

Then Carroll or Robertson depending on which of them asks to be traded to us. Probably Robertson. Send Brisbane the 64 we got for Darling, 59 if we’re feeling benevolent

Finally, the most controversial potential acquisition - Liam Baker. He unquestionably improves our best 22 but trade cost has always been the issue. Suggestions are that it’s pick 13 for Baker and 21 which is likely fair value but I’d rather send the Hawthorn F1 instead of 13

Best case scenario from all the above is :

Out: Barrass, Darling, Rotham (with FA compo), F2
In: Baker, Garcia, Robertson, Parfitt, 21, F2(Haw), F4(WB)

Draft picks 2024 - 3,13,21,23,59
Draft picks 2025 - R1,R2(Haw),R3,R4,R4(WB)

Need to open up 9 list spots so

Barrass, Darling, Rotham - Trade/FA
Jones, Trew, Baker - Already delisted
Witherden, L Edwards, one of Culley or Burgiel - to be delisted

Would be happy if Clark can pull that off albeit I think I’d rather use/keep the picks than trade them for Baker
Absolutely nailed it great post. I’d try the F4 swaps for Dev assuming Richmond can give the lions enough (eventual) points for pick 18 to cover Levi and Marshall and would push Essendon to get to band 3 on Rotham to generate pick 24 to trade back to them with 59 for 28 and their F3 for bid matching next year. Culley for a 4R pick if the Richmond interest is genuine, perhaps with our F4 or Lions F4 going back.

I dont think Anderson is an A-grader yet, hes very good but hes just below the real A-grade mids.
Pick 7/8ish value maybe? I might be under valuing him a bit though

Did you hear something?

Yes. Not that he is linked to us in any way though, just one to keep an eye on possibly even this year, but more likely next (I think he is out of contract regardless so chatter would have happened anyway)

Briz is correct and you are wrong.

Before being rude and telling others to stick to their lanes maybe go get a licence and learn how to drive yourself first.;):cool:
Season 18 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

Holy heck!!!!! Beanie is defending Brizkent. I've seen everything now

I like O’Halloran and hope Phillip has enquired
I don’t rate him much at all. Seems a massive ball butcher and is a bit of a weak link in their side when he plays imo. Big mature body obviously and has his days but if he’s anywhere other than a forward pocket you can’t trust him with your ball movement.

Absolutely nailed it great post. I’d try the F4 swaps for Dev assuming Richmond can give the lions enough (eventual) points for pick 18 to cover Levi and Marshall and would push Essendon to get to band 3 on Rotham to generate pick 24 to trade back to them with 59 for 28 and their F3 for bid matching next year. Culley for a 4R pick if the Richmond interest is genuine, perhaps with our F4 or Lions F4 going back.
Culley and ???? for baker? Makes getting baker in more palatable.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Culley and ???? for baker? Makes getting baker in more palatable.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched a podcast and a Tigers supporter talked up Culley as a good target for the Tigers in the Baker trade.

He then admitted to playing against him and going to the same school so a bit of bromance going on there.

His opinion was Culley is a tall forward who can pinch hit in the midfield. Not a midfielder. And I would agree.

He also thought that is one of the needs at the Tigers. Taller forwards. The fact he can play higher up the ground is a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back