List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:

I will get knocked back for this, but seriously we need to take a page out of the NBA and tank.

We will not play finals this year, just get Harley Reid.
I think that's kind of irrelevant now. Maybe we wouldn't have won any of our next five games but with the injuries we have we're going to expose our kids and it wouldn't surprise me if we fall into a bit of a hole and fall short against the likes of GC and Hawks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

So the injuries today to Gov and Shuey coupled with the NicNat half season, I hope our list manager is ready to be aggressive.

We are stuck with 2023 and 2024 for NicNat

If we extend Gov, he must be on a 50% salary as he only plays half a season

Pretty similar to Shuey (though last year he was better)

I will get knocked back for this, but seriously we need to take a page out of the NBA and tank.

We will not play finals this year, just get Harley Reid.

I do agree, but my heart can’t root for us to lose every week, even if I know deep down it’s beneficial. It’s a weird feeling

What I definitely don’t want to do is keep extending the senior guys who can’t even stay fit for 3 weeks

We need to move in from people who are soft as butter and those who can’t tackle: sheed, gaff, Williams

Next priority is to move on from people who are butchers when they kick: witherden, hunt, sheed, gaff
Sheed butchers the ball? Not my recollection when I wake up every night in a cold sweat remembering 2018...

Harley just looks to good, burst out of congestion. Strength to hold of a tackle and seems calm under pressure....

I wonder if he is a unit? Harley, Ginbey, Hewitt and Culley in four years if all come on could absolutely bully teams.
Harley is everything we need. He’s a contested ball beast that then has other tricks to his game. Do we get him probably unlikely but hey can only dream.

Harley is everything we need. He’s a contested ball beast that then has other tricks to his game. Do we get him probably unlikely but hey can only dream.
What makes you think its unlikely? Our draft position? Our recent history of splitting picks?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets just see how the season pans out. There is a very long season ahead and if he doesn't dominate the midfield like he should others could well go past him. He is also incredibly strong and physically developed for his age in comparison to others. Whilst he has great game sense and can play pretty much anywhere on field I need to see more before I consider him close to a lock for the number 1 draft pick.

What makes you think its unlikely? Our draft position? Our recent history of splitting picks?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just the fact we will finish last. I think we have seen enough in the first few rounds to suggest we don’t finish last. I could be wrong 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets just see how the season pans out. There is a very long season ahead and if he doesn't dominate the midfield like he should others could well go past him. He is also incredibly strong and physically developed for his age in comparison to others. Whilst he has great game sense and can play pretty much anywhere on field I need to see more before I consider him close to a lock for the number 1 draft pick.
He probably went number one last year if he was available…. If not top 5. He’s already started well at Nab this year with best on ground what makes you think that other than injury this doesn’t continue?
His game last week he just dominated contested ball. Then can run and carry the ball and fend off like a junior Dusty . Early call but it is what it is.

He probably went number one last year if he was available…. If not top 5. He’s already started well at Nab this year with best on ground what makes you think that other than injury this doesn’t continue?
His game last week he just dominated contested ball. Then can run and carry the ball and fend off like a junior Dusty . Early call but it is what it is.
Top 10 probably. If we count a good one off year at age 17 then Brander would likely be #1 most years too 🤮

It's not how he's playing, it's how the other players in his cohort physically mature this year.

He can look a million bucks against kids still growing, if the rest of them become as physically mature as him, he may come back to the pack a bit.

We wont finish last but if we did I hope we consider putting pick 1 on the table for Reid.
Depends what it is.

As always I will caveat these opinions by saying I do not follow the draft classes and have no idea the drop off behind the already crowned Reid, but if you’re telling me Hawks give up 2 and something in the teens for 1, yeah, do it. More throws at the dart board thanks.

How likely is that? Probably not at all. Anything majorly below that not worth it for pick 1. Doesn’t seem to be any obvious mechanism to get a Pick 2 and 3 scenario like North got this year so doubt it’d be much above that.

Big fan of splitting picks in general, but if we happened upon Pick 1 you’d want a proper ransom to have your head turned surely.

It's not how he's playing, it's how the other players in his cohort physically mature this year.

He can look a million bucks against kids still growing, if the rest of them become as physically mature as him, he may come back to the pack a bit.
Sort of- He played in the same league last year as well as in the champs where he was very good. That's at age 17 against mostly 18/19 year olds.
Last year he finished as the best 17 yeara old in the same conditions, he's #1 and will be at the end of the year unless others surpass him which is entirely possible.

With Cripps likely copping an LTI, we might see a Mid-Season draft pick open up. Any big names floating around so far?
Alec Waterman will be an interesting watch for the WAFL Eagles this year. Has kicked 7 goals in 6 quarters of WAFL practice games thus far, looks a class above from what I've seen (albeit a limited sample size and only practice matches).

Obviously we'd want to be searching beyond just our seconds team for a potential replacement. But Alec is a fairly similar type to Cripps and I remember there being some stuff written about how when he signed with the Beagles, it was partly in the hope of getting back onto the Eagles list if a list spot opens due to an LTI.

Sort of- He played in the same league last year as well as in the champs where he was very good. That's at age 17 against mostly 18/19 year olds.
Last year he finished as the best 17 yeara old in the same conditions, he's #1 and will be at the end of the year unless others surpass him which is entirely possible.
I'm still expecting him to be number 1 but remember last year, blokes like Scully, Lemmey, etc all looked like potential No.1s at one stage.

There's bolters every year.

If we do get a shot at Reid we have to do it, it'd be akin to saying nah don't pick Judd because we can get 2/3 others if we split, we did that and it worked but there was no one on Reid's level available.
So uk that, take the best available was the call for years wasn't it....we could right the brander wrong!

Depends what it is.

As always I will caveat these opinions by saying I do not follow the draft classes and have no idea the drop off behind the already crowned Reid, but if you’re telling me Hawks give up 2 and something in the teens for 1, yeah, do it. More throws at the dart board thanks.

How likely is that? Probably not at all. Anything majorly below that not worth it for pick 1. Doesn’t seem to be any obvious mechanism to get a Pick 2 and 3 scenario like North got this year so doubt it’d be much above that.

Big fan of splitting picks in general, but if we happened upon Pick 1 you’d want a proper ransom to have your head turned surely.
For some close trades (just picks)
2016 GWS & Brisbane traded with there being a clear cut top 3 (McGrath, Taranto, McCluggage)
  • #3 + #16 for #2 + #31 + #51

2021 JHF #1 got offers of:
  • #7 + #15 + #26
  • #4 +#6

If we do get a shot at Reid we have to do it, it'd be akin to saying nah don't pick Judd because we can get 2/3 others if we split, we did that and it worked but there was no one on Reid's level available.
So uk that, take the best available was the call for years wasn't it....we could right the brander wrong!
Judd famously taken with Pick 1 in his draft.

Not ever convinced there’s too many sure things with the 18 year olds.

I'm still expecting him to be number 1 but remember last year, blokes like Scully, Lemmey, etc all looked like potential No.1s at one stage.

There's bolters every year.
There's always hyperbole around players especially if you play a big game early in the season.
Reid is legit though, has the performances on the board plus the physical attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back