List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Shuey is giving 100%. His time may be near but he is one that can lreave with pride. I dont think Hurn has any intention of playing on but he is our best defender still.

I love Shuey as much as anyone but the poor fella and the club are entering in severe delusion territory if they think his body has any chance of playing regularly any more.

This is not just about seniors, it's also about not robbing our WAFL side of a kid who should be back there developing their game. It's about not pushing kids above their ability level and exposing them to demoralising losses because a senior body is on the sidelines (again).

Let the kids earn their games and grow their confidence.

I love Shuey as much as anyone but the poor fella and the club are entering in severe delusion territory if they think his body has any chance of playing regularly any more.

This is not just about seniors, it's also about not robbing our WAFL side of a kid who should be back there developing their game. It's about not pushing kids above their ability level and exposing them to demoralising losses because a senior body is on the sidelines (again).

Let the kids earn their games and grow their confidence.

He's one senior player who plays with heart.

He's worth keeping on for another year.

If the value of pick 1 is going down it would mean we want us to trade it less ?

Think the guys idea is if Reid hides in the forward line, he’ll still be the #1 pick but it’ll create the illusion that others are closer to him so we might end up splitting the pick lol

I’m fine with either but I’m not splitting unless it’s 3 top 12 picks, with at least one of them being a top 4 selection

14 games with all 4 in 4 seasons since tk joined in 2020
8 in 2020
5 in 2021
1 in 2022

6 games with yeo, NN, Tk
11 games with Shuey, NN, TK
1 with Shuey, NN, Yeo
8 with Shuey, Yeo, TK

TK - 68 games
NN - 47
Shuey -43
Yeo -33
Interesting question, how many of those 14 combined games were completed without an injury?. Or how many played limited minutes?

Interesting question, how many of those 14 combined games were completed without an injury?. Or how many played limited minutes?
Shuey failed to finish fit in 6 of his 43.

Yeo has been 4.

NN has been 4.

This is also a HUGE unseen cost of the aged, underprepared, rushing to play veterans.

The loss of man power mid-game in the starting 22.

While I agree with the principle of moving on players like Hurn and Shuey (and was well in the Shuey retirement camp in 2021), for the sake of two list spots, I think there is merit in holding both for another year.

No, they likely won't make it through a full season physically but they can help the transition on-field similar to how GWS set their original team up with veterans on each line.

Ideally the likes of Barrass, Duggan and Allen would take on this role but as things currently stand, I only have confidence in Allen of those three.

While I agree with the principle of moving on players like Hurn and Shuey (and was well in the Shuey retirement camp in 2021), for the sake of two list spots, I think there is merit in holding both for another year.

No, they likely won't make it through a full season physically but they can help the transition on-field similar to how GWS set their original team up with veterans on each line.

Ideally the likes of Barrass, Duggan and Allen would take on this role but as things currently stand, I only have confidence in Allen of those three.
It's sort of become apparent that there's a cancer among the senior players (and Simmo must shoulder some blame). It's probably not these two, but the board has to take a side. Sack the coach or turn the senior players over.

I think they need to call a review and find out exactly what all the players think. Specifically about how they've been asked to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's sort of become apparent that there's a cancer among the senior players (and Simmo must shoulder some blame). It's probably not these two, but the board has to take a side. Sack the coach or turn the senior players over.

I think they need to call a review and find out exactly what all the players think. Specifically about how they've been asked to play.
The reason why we have no leadership in the middle of our list is going to be multi-faceted and the senior players, as do the coaches, share some responsibility for how that group has developed. But I got home at half time and watched as Shuey and Yeo were still busting their guts when we were 80, 100, 120, 150 points down. I think that quality is something to be desired, even if there is risk involved in keeping them on. Hurn exhibits the same qualities even though I think the game has passed him by.

Hawthorn's scorched earth approach looks good early days but I'm not sure that is the right approach. Yes, we don't want to clog up our list with blokes that are going to be injured half the season but I think there is something to be gained having these guys showing the likes of Ginbey, Hewett and co. rather than leaving it up to others.

The reason why we have no leadership in the middle of our list is going to be multi-faceted and the senior players, as do the coaches, share some responsibility for how that group has developed. But I got home at half time and watched as Shuey and Yeo were still busting their guts when we were 80, 100, 120, 150 points down. I think that quality is something to be desired, even if there is risk involved in keeping them on. Hurn exhibits the same qualities even though I think the game has passed him by.

Hawthorn's scorched earth approach looks good early days but I'm not sure that is the right approach. Yes, we don't want to clog up our list with blokes that are going to be injured half the season but I think there is something to be gained having these guys showing the likes of Ginbey, Hewett and co. rather than leaving it up to others.
I'm not a fan of the scorched earth approach, but it is pretty much forced upon us. The upside is multiple top draft picks. The downside is doing a GC/GWS type rebuild with limited senior players.

Gaff, Yeo, Sheed, Shuey, Nic, Barrass, Gov, Cripps, Hurn

If durability wasn't an issue, I'd:

Trade - Barrass and Sheed for something.

Delist - Shuey, Nic Nat, Gaff

And retain Cripps, Gov, Hurn and Yeo.

My reasoning being that the retained players have high standards, largely maintain them, have little trade value and can help bridge the gap with youth while our list is thin.

Unfortunately Hurn is probably a bit too injury prone now, as is Gov and maybe Yeo.

So we'll end up keeping Sheed and Barrass who aren't 'leaders' imo.

I'm not a fan of the scorched earth approach, but it is pretty much forced upon us. The upside is multiple top draft picks. The downside is doing a GC/GWS type rebuild with limited senior players.
We're not that bad, as laughable as that sounds at the minute. We can afford to do a poor man's Sydney/Geelong approach if we can have 3/4 playing some kind of competitive football each week. The challenge is getting 3/4 of the list available and keeping them available.

There was a load of push back a couple of weeks ago on the trade value of Barrass. Interesting this week with Cal on Gettable believing he is worth a top 10 pick plus a second rounder. Now I do not think Cal is that smart but he is close to agents and he is very good at regurgitating their views.

Sydney are currently holding picks own R1 (6), own R2 (25) and Hawks R2 (22). Could we get 6 and 25? If so, I would listen. Obviously Tom needs to agree. I would also be OK in paying a small portion to get the lower pick, or maybe paying more and getting both R2 picks and giving back to Sydney Ports R2 (36) or our R3 (38) or thereabouts. Sydney's list could handle a light year of few 18 year olds added.

Is it overpaying by the Swans? Not if they think the McCartins are done. Can we afford to wear a small or even larger part of Tom's salary? I assume we have him budgeted already so why not!

We're not that bad, as laughable as that sounds at the minute. We can afford to do a poor man's Sydney/Geelong approach if we can have 3/4 playing some kind of competitive football each week. The challenge is getting 3/4 of the list available and keeping them available.
This is not available to us. In Geelong's first era they had a young Joel Selwood and a few others coming through. We've only got Oscar and Barrass. We had no young elite midfield talent coming through. We're already in a tailspin which will take years to fight our way out of. (I'm okay with that though).

I'd spew up if Barrass was named captain. He's been leaking goals all year going for his intercept marks. Him close checking McKay when he was on 9 was an embarrassment, how about do it from the start champ, you're a FB.

Gotta get Sheed out of the club. He's a selfish, one way footballer. It would be akin to Port trading Wingard yet I'd take 2 future 3rds. We need blokes who set standards, he's just along for the good ride these days. His interview about the Hewett concussion the other week and his performances are deplorable from a guy who should be a true leader with his age profile.

This is not available to us. In Geelong's first era they had a young Joel Selwood and a few others coming through. We've only got Oscar and Barrass. We had no young elite midfield talent coming through. We're already in a tailspin which will take years to fight our way out of. (I'm okay with that though).
It's an interesting predicament. Oscar will be part of our next push. Barrass arguably won't be.

There was a load of push back a couple of weeks ago on the trade value of Barrass. Interesting this week with Cal on Gettable believing he is worth a top 10 pick plus a second rounder. Now I do not think Cal is that smart but he is close to agents and he is very good at regurgitating their views.

Sydney are currently holding picks own R1 (6), own R2 (25) and Hawks R2 (22). Could we get 6 and 25? If so, I would listen. Obviously Tom needs to agree. I would also be OK in paying a small portion to get the lower pick, or maybe paying more and getting both R2 picks and giving back to Sydney Ports R2 (36) or our R3 (38) or thereabouts. Sydney's list could handle a light year of few 18 year olds added.

Is it overpaying by the Swans? Not if they think the McCartins are done. Can we afford to wear a small or even larger part of Tom's salary? I assume we have him budgeted already so why not!
Lever went for 10 and a second rounder on top. 6 is probably overs but they're probably hunting a flag now-ish.

I'd assume we can afford some of his salary.

"Say Tom, howzabout that 2018 flag? Good, wasn't it...."

I'd spew up if Barrass was named captain. He's been leaking goals all year going for his intercept marks. Him close checking McKay when he was on 9 was an embarrassment, how about do it from the start champ, you're a FB.

Gotta get Sheed out of the club. He's a selfish, one way footballer. It would be akin to Port trading Wingard yet I'd take 2 future 3rds. We need blokes who set standards, he's just along for the good ride these days. His interview about the Hewett concussion the other week and his performances are deplorable from a guy who should be a true leader with his age profile.
Same, but I can't see it being anyone other than Oscar.

We are, sadly, looking for a four year stint in s**t city.

I think you’re right. And I for one what the club to just come out and admit and provide the view for long term.

However, I also think our fan base is 50/50

Realistic in the view that we will be a shitshow until 2026/27 to challenge the 8.

And the other half thinking we are a lot better and it’s all simpsons fault and we’re not “there” yet (delusional)

Sydney are currently holding picks own R1 (6), own R2 (25) and Hawks R2 (22). Could we get 6 and 25? If so, I would listen. Obviously Tom needs to agree. I would also be OK in paying a small portion to get the lower pick, or maybe paying more and getting both R2 picks and giving back to Sydney Ports R2 (36) or our R3 (38) or thereabouts.

This + PP would help bring in the core players for the next tilt…expecting you guys to feed enough reports into Bond to ensure we get the group we need.

We need better than half strike rate for the next three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back