Corey Enright

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard a remarkable stat today. Of the last 100 games, Corey has played 98 of them. With the way he plays the game, almost cavalier (gallant), it's absolutely stunning how resilient this champion is. He was a little injury prone before this stretch of success, so there is hope for the likes of Brown, Smedts etc. Wonder who our " next Enright "will end up being.

I bet the stat of 'playing in two flags in a 100 game period while playing in 98 of them AND losing your footy shorts in a game' will never happen again.

One of the best half back flankers of the modern era, on a par with Guy Mckenna and Ben Hart as the best I have seen.

Of this current Geelong era, only Scarlett and Ablett have contributed more.

A mighty player.

You can keep your Shaws, your O'Briens, your McLeods even.

I'll take the man in the green speedos anyday.

He owned the '09 QF - 14 first quarter possessions and the winning goal - this was the game where the Dogs and Collingwood were both desperate to play us, thinking we were the easy route to the Prelim. Ha!

Wut?
Thread is good.

People can call him a star all they like.

He is borderline for mine. As is SJ

One of the best half back flankers of the modern era, on a par with Guy Mckenna and Ben Hart as the best I have seen.

Of this current Geelong era, only Scarlett and Ablett have contributed more.

A mighty player.

Totally agree. Had a bad run with injuries around 2005, but since then has just gotten better and better. Incredibly reliable and consistent performer.

Good trivia question too - who was the last player to win a club best and fairest in a premiership year, and not poll one Brownlow vote?

Wut?
Thread is good.

People can call him a star all they like.

He is borderline for mine. As is SJ

Borderline? How so?

SJ i agree with, but Boris - there is nobody consistently better than him at his position in the league, this has been the case for the last 4 years IMO

Don't know mate. Maybe I just don't see back flankers as stars. Not sure. Having said that. At his best McLeod was a star.

Maybe you're associating flashes of brilliance with being a star opposed to just a weekly consistent performance?

I'd call Darren Milburn a star, having said that he never usually bothers the statisticians or does too many things of the ordinary, however he turns up every week, beats his opponent and rarely makes a mistake.

You can keep [ snip ] your McLeods even. [ snip ]
Feel obliged to shoot this puppy down. Not quite in the same league as the "elite", such as McLeod.

Enright has shown in recent history to be an honest, reliable & skilfull player. Good ole Jack Dyer would certainly have referred to be him as a very good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel obliged to shoot this puppy down. Not quite in the same league as the "elite", such as McLeod.

Enright has shown in recent history to be an honest, reliable & skilfull player. Good ole Jack Dyer would certainly have referred to be him as a very good player.

Fair enough, and in turn I feel more even more obliged to shoot that particular puppy down. I would have Enright in the same league, and absolutely elite, every day of the week.

He's been a vital member of 2 premiership sides, a great big-game player, won a club best and fairest in a premiership year, and managed to get 3 All-Australian selections (not that that's as important, but still). If that isn't the resumé of an elite performer I don't know what is.

As half-back flankers (as McLeod spent his later years there), Enright has him covered comfortably in my opinion. Far better defensively.

Fair enough, and in turn I feel more even more obliged to shoot that particular puppy down. I would have Enright in the same league, and absolutely elite, every day of the week.

He's been a vital member of 2 premiership sides, a great big-game player, won a club best and fairest in a premiership year, and managed to get 3 All-Australian selections (not that that's as important, but still). If that isn't the resumé of an elite performer I don't know what is.

As half-back flankers (as McLeod spent his later years there), Enright has him covered comfortably in my opinion. Far better defensively.

:thumbsu: Spot on

In this last 100 games, lets not forget we won 86, which is the VFL/AFL record. Never been done before. For a bloke to have played 98 of those to the calibre Enright has and not be called a star is just the typical ingredient of those who watch footy (for the girly ooohhs and ahhhhs) and who must surely know very little about playing the game weekly.

He doesn't reach the dizzying heights of McLeod, but by the time the final siren has gone, he's lit his opponent up and shut him down. Works for me.

[snip ] As half-back flankers (as McLeod spent his later years there), Enright has him covered comfortably in my opinion. Far better defensively.
Well, you say my response was "fair enough", but shot it down. If that's not contradictory, then I don't know the meaning of the word. I'm confused :rolleyes:
On the particulat point of choosing between Enright & McLeod....well, I'd love to see a poll of ALL AFL club supporters as to which they would choose. I'm certain I would sleep comfortfably knowing which one would prevail.

Anyhoo, we're detracting from the purpose of OP, concerning the significance/impact of Enright's performances towards our success over the past 4+ seasons. I'm not here to question that at all!

On the particulat point of choosing between Enright & McLeod....well, I'd love to see a poll of ALL AFL club supporters as to which they would choose. I'm certain I would sleep comfortfably knowing which one would prevail.

Don't care what all club supporters think. They're the same people who think Mooney was the same player from 1999 and Brad Ottens is a dud. It's all a matter of opinion.

As defenders one was totally unaccountable and didn't go near direct opponents, and the other shuts down opponents quietly and efficiently every week, while getting plenty of possessions himself.

McLeod was great as a midfielder, but that wasn't his whole career, and he was not a great defender. Enright is.

There is a quiet intimidation factor about him. He plays on opponents and demoralizes them with an understated efficiency by just being quicker, stronger, taller, better than them.

I am going to sob in a darkened room when he and Chapman retire. The likes of which we may never see again.

Would be pressing now for a spot on a HBF on our all time best Geelong team imo.

Question: Who has had the better career - Milburn or Enright? If you were to choose one for a HBF in a Geelong team of the century who would you take?

Enright, just, for me.

Enright because of a better discipline record and better stopper.

Both greats though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Corey Enright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back