Certified Legendary Thread Corona, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here) Part 2 "The Second Wave"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honestly it's amazing Boris & much of Europe have left it this late... as we know it's going to require a longer lockdown given they have waited til the community infection is way out of control.

Probably looked at the State's finances heading South?

Good try but they aren’t in recession - and surplus in their budget.

On target next year to obliterate the LNP next March.

Then we have the Conservatives in the UK

Thank goodness the Premiers controlled this outbreak rather than SmoCo. Remember he wanted the borders open in late April!

Honestly it's amazing Boris & much of Europe have left it this late... as we know it's going to require a longer lockdown given they have waited til the community infection is way out of control.
Yep. One month isn’t going to cut it, but it may give their hospitals and front line workers a little respite.

Good try but they aren’t in recession - and surplus in their budget.

On target next year to obliterate the LNP next March.

Then we have the Conservatives in the UK

Thank goodness the Premiers controlled this outbreak rather than SmoCo. Remember he wanted the borders open in late April!
#1 Australia one of the very earliest countries to close borders to China
#2 Give you "most of" the premiers or "many of" the premiers. Denial Andrews is a separate group though
#3 I think in calling for the borders to open ScoMo probably assumed that the States had things under control. There is no way you could expect him to anticipate the utter balls-up in Victoria. Was he wrong to think Denial Andrews would manage competently? Yes. Was he alone in that? No.

#2 Give you "most of" the premiers or "many of" the premiers. Denial Andrews is a separate group though
#3 I think in calling for the borders to open ScoMo probably assumed that the States had things under control. There is no way you could expect him to anticipate the utter balls-up in Victoria. Was he wrong to think Denial Andrews would manage competently? Yes. Was he alone in that? No.

#2: you are realized that Daniel Andrews is widely credited for forcing ScoMos hand on the national restrictions that got our first wave under control?
#3: Scomo has never STOPPED calling for open borders. The entire time the Victorian and NSW second wave were occuring he was pressuring Queensland to open its borders.

Seriously, stop your cheerleading for SmoCo.

Just on the international borders to China, it didn’t stop people from going from China to Dubai/Doha and then Australia.

He never wanted state borders closed. If was forced into it and still kept calling for it. To him this was all about economics. As I said way back in February, this was a health issue, first and foremost. If you don’t get the health issue under control, you won’t have an economy - just have a look at what is happening in UK, Europe and the US. Their recovery has been put back months possibly years.

And let’s not even go to the Ruby Princess.

Not sure that I've expressed many opinions about ScoMo but I do think he is doing a good job. I understand others may disagree. I think Denial Andrews has done a disgraceful job. I understand others may disagree. All good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the international borders to China, it didn’t stop people from going from China to Dubai/Doha and then Australia.

He never wanted state borders closed. If was forced into it and still kept calling for it. To him this was all about economics. As I said way back in February, this was a health issue, first and foremost. If you don’t get the health issue under control, you won’t have an economy - just have a look at what is happening in UK, Europe and the US. Their recovery has been put back months possibly years.

And let’s not even go to the Ruby Princess.

i still don’t really understand state borders being closed. Other movement restrictIons covered the risk anyway. I could drive over 1600km to Ceduna and back but not 40km to Nelson and back. State borders are arbitrary lines drawn for legal purposes, they’re not really a meaningful factor when it comes to pandemic control.

i still don’t really understand state borders being closed. Other movement restrictIons covered the risk anyway. I could drive over 1600km to Ceduna and back but not 40km to Nelson and back. State borders are arbitrary lines drawn for legal purposes, they’re not really a meaningful factor when it comes to pandemic control.
Apart from the Keep the Virus out of our state type mentality there are other factors out there,
ie - Contact tracing, there's a big difference in how the state carries out the contract tracing timings,
- reporting of infections some state are quicker and report more details straight of the bat, others are slow and miss important details,
- some states don't follow up as quickly,
- there a few more, but they would be minor concerns
but to be honest it a political minefield, with elections, Labor vs Libs, state fighting for the last dollar etc, who want to make the call and stand by the call if it goes bad,

Its not as simple as just opening up,

Well if we had one consistent system across the country, yes but we don’t. They may be arbitrary lines however it has kept populations safe and closure of state borders reduced airline traffic, when you have can have up to 200 people in enclosed space.

But a state government has control of things within their own border.

Queensland can have oversight of its own procedures, but if it opens its border with NSW it is at the mercy of the NSW government keeping its shit together.

Half the reason NSW is so salty about the border closure is they've neglected their own infrastructure along its northern borders. It has never bothered to invest in things like hospitals because they've relied on leeching off the Queensland system. With closed borders NSW suddenly had to actually support its own citizens and wasn't equipped to do so.

But a state government has control of things within their own border.

Queensland can have oversight of its own procedures, but if it opens its border with NSW it is at the mercy of the NSW government keeping its sh*t together.

Half the reason NSW is so salty about the border closure is they've neglected their own infrastructure along its northern borders. It has never bothered to invest in things like hospitals because they've relied on leeching off the Queensland system. With closed borders NSW suddenly had to actually support its own citizens and wasn't equipped to do so.
The hospitals are funded by the federal government to a large enough extent that you should be able to get treatment anywhere in Australia without showing your drivers license or utility bill. And the visit is funded through federal Medicare.

The hospitals are funded by the federal government to a large enough extent that you should be able to get treatment anywhere in Australia without showing your drivers license or utility bill. And the visit is funded through federal Medicare.

you CAN get treated anywhere without showing either of those things.

But you are vastly understimating the difference between what the federal government gives from medicare compared to the actual cost of treating a patient.

you CAN get treated anywhere without showing either of those things.

But you are vastly understimating the difference between what the federal government gives from medicare compared to the actual cost of treating a patient.
Yeah I know $26 dollars doesn’t buy you much doctor time. It’s the same for Victorians living near Bordertown. They head to Adelaide it’s the nearest large city. States don’t cater to a small population on the edge of their jurisdiction if there’s a large population with facilities close by. Really Australia should be a free travel zone without borders. When I was Darwin the saying was “when in pain, get on a plane”. Meaning, go to Adelaide if you need a hospital.

Lyin' "Koala Killer" Gladys at it again. What a hypocrite

I think the border closures have been lacking medical or health meaningfulness since the early days of international arrivals and skyrocketing numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back