Opinion Cox...

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
He really seems to be slipping away as a player this season. Maybe he's playing injured but he certainly hasn't imposed himself on our important games this year. Another year maybe, but can't see him getting to 300 now sadly.

It looks like Cox is content to rest on his previous successes this year. I don't see the hunger this year, i don't see the follow up efforts, i don't see his usually clean marking and in place of all that what i do see is him flailing about looking for frees constantly.

He really seems to be slipping away as a player this season. Maybe he's playing injured but he certainly hasn't imposed himself on our important games this year. Another year maybe, but can't see him getting to 300 now sadly.

Finally I agree. Glass looks more likely to get 300 than Cox. Hard to see Cox going on next season really, lost more than a yard of pace and he's no longer a ruckman, because his tap work isn't up to it anymore, he's an extra mid or tall forward and I'm not sure that's what he needs to be.

I think you need to get a red card for creating so many threads.

But cox isn't what he used to be. But u want to get rid of everyone.

Maybe supporting Melbourne should be your thing because they did what u wanted. Got rid of all young players unless they are superstars immediatelly, berated and criticized them and got rid of older guys as soon as possible.

After last year I had him as our first to reach 300. But it's looking far more likely that Glass might be the one to do it now.

He needs to concentrate, ******* stop playing for frees you twat. Honestly eliminates every possible second effort by arguing with the umpire.

Said it earlier in the season, has been practicing for an umpires gig.

If you have time to wave your hands around appealing for frees, you aint working at getting the ball hard enough.

It looks like Cox is content to rest on his previous successes this year. I don't see the hunger this year, i don't see the follow up efforts, i don't see his usually clean marking and in place of all that what i do see is him flailing about looking for frees constantly.
As we lose confidence and lose more games, he will be less and less keen to try and dominate a game. Bit downhill ol Coxy these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settle down guys. Sure he is no longer the running midfielder he used to be, but at his age, neither are most midfielders! Can also be used a lot more as I mentioned in another thread, we just aren't using him. Skills are still great, left foot pass last night lace out...

Has had a bad year from a rucking perspective, but that can't be said after last night. Over 40 hit outs against the guy most wanted as AA ruckman last year, he dominated Maric. Strange time to make this thread after last night I think.

Seemed to be doing the bulk of the ruck work late in the game (called Nic Nat out on a number of occassions) when you'd have thought he may rested in the forward line.... either Cox is going ok or maybe Nic Nat was struggling with his knee (taped up), or his preseason issues as the game progressed? Nic Nat certainly dropped off the longer the game went..

Woosha has also said that Nic nat was still 3-4 weeks away from being fully fit so that might explain him tapering of in the last 1/4.
Adding to that...

With the exception of the Brown/Embley sub, Nic had the 2nd least time on the ground for us.

He's coming from a long way back. He's going to take time to build.

As well as the blatant instances of actually sacrificing defensive pressure to turn around and berate the umpire, my biggest issue with Cox at the moment is his pesistence with a style of play that physically he's just not up to anymore.

On more than one occasion last night one of our quicker mids emerged with the ball in a contested situation, and rather than run into traffic and lay a big shepherd for them he'd run forwards alongside them screaming for a handball, leading to unnecessary pressure on the ball carrier from behind.

Similarly I saw him sit off at least one marking contest hoping to either get the crumb or be fed a handball should his teammate mark it.

You're not that quick and skillful anymore Dean.

As well as the blatant instances of actually sacrificing defensive pressure to turn around and berate the umpire, my biggest issue with Cox at the moment is his pesistence with a style of play that physically he's just not up to anymore.

On more than one occasion last night one of our quicker mids emerged with the ball in a contested situation, and rather than run into traffic and lay a big shepherd for them he'd run forwards alongside them screaming for a handball, leading to unnecessary pressure on the ball carrier from behind.

Similarly I saw him sit off at least one marking contest hoping to either get the crumb or be fed a handball should his teammate mark it.

You're not that quick and skillful anymore Dean.
yeah ive seen this too. Its an old man thing i reckon. Trying to reduce the number of bumps and contact they make simply because there not able to mix it with the 21-28 year olds anymore.

If you watch most of Cox' centre bounce situations, he will more often than not try to jump at a different time to the opposition ruckman, and actually step around them because he doesnt want the contact. This will be Coxys last season i reckon.

Why are there so many Fremantle posters on our board all of a sudden? Not that I have an issue with it, just an observation on the timing... ;)

I've noticed that as well, I used to post a bit on the freo board because i'm not one of those west coast supporters who hate freo, but then that whiteoak dude popped up and started abusing everyone who doesn't support freo on their board. Maybe we should forget about poaching lyon and focus on poaching him?

Love Coxy but I recall last night absolutely fuming at him for just standing there having a whinge while one of the Tigers just ran away. I don't even think he could've done anything about that said player but it just pissed me right off that he would rather stand there and have a sook.

Is lycett ready to take over from cox full time?I think he has got another season in him hopefully in the forward line predominantly

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Cox...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back