Feb 23, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets, Astros, Texans
Cricketer Scott Mason dead at 28
April 09, 2005

TASMANIAN cricketer Scott Mason has died from heart complications at the age of 28.

Mason collapsed on Thursday and was taken to Royal Hobart hospital where he passed away at 4am, a Tasmanian Cricket Association official said.

Mason sat out the entire 2004/05 season after undergoing open heart surgery in October and spent nine weeks in hospital last year.

The left-handed opener played 28 first class matches for Tasmania.

Its an awful shame to see anyone so young pass away, condolences to the family and all close to Scott.

I didn't realise it was so bad. I've seen him out and about on the town the last few weeks. I dare say there'll be a lot of sad people tonight at my club dinner. There are a number of Tassie squad members going.

That's very sad news. :(

Saw him play live a couple of times at the Adelaide Oval in the past few years.

Sad, sad news this; not just for Tasmanian Cricket, but Australian cricket. :(

This is dreadful news.
I thought I heard word spread in the hospital about it (but it never clicked unitl I read this) as my girlfriend's mother was admitted only a few hours earlier and she too almost passed away.

Terrible news for his friends and family.

Whoa...

Not the most talented cricketer - just found himself in the opening position in between the time of Dene Hills and the rise of Dawson/Birt.

But dying at 28 is a bit of a shocker.

Recently I attended a 50th birthday party of a good mate in Hobart who was also a friend of Scott. I had a very long chat with him at the party and found him to be a very friendly, personalable and approachable bloke. My friend is a doctor and had meet Scott during his time in hospital and he was taking his passing very hard.

His death was a great shock to me and I pass on my sympathies to his family and friends.

Saw this yesterday in the paper, 28 first class matches obviously indicates some talent. A tragedy for tasmanian cricket and for the family. A horrible way to die.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh my god. Terrible news

My condolonces to him and his family.

Yeah, I agree 28 first-class matches does indicate some talent as most fo would be wrapped to even play one match for our state, regardless of the opposition or whether it was Pura or ING Cup.

Zeke said:
Passed away with a cricket bat in his shands. Just about sums him up, really.

Can't put it into better words than that, Zeke.

Everyone I know is shocked. Only spoke to him last week. Cannot believe it.

Loved the game, loved life, loved a t-shirt and haircut!! Absolute superstar. Will be sadly missed by CDCC and by Tasmanian Cricket.

Condolences to his sweetheart Michelle and their families.

RIP Face.

Sincerest condolences to his family and friends. What a terrible tragedy it is for anyone to pass away, let alone someone who hasn't even reached the prime of their life.

Such is the fragility of the human race.

RIP Scott Mason.

ViperV10 said:
Sincerest condolences to his family and friends. What a terrible tragedy it is for anyone to pass away, let alone someone who hasn't even reached the prime of their life.

Such is the fragility of the human race.

RIP Scott Mason.
You just don't think these things can actually happen. It's really sad. Unless you have had family or friends die, the death of troy broadbridge and maso really puts it into perspective. You look up to the elite sportsmen, and can relate to them so it is an absolute shock, tragedy and reality check when anyone passes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricketer Dies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back