CoffeeBlack

Rookie
Apr 28, 2011
My House
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Demons
Whats some of your thoughts on Cruize, has been killing it in the VFL this season averaging over 30 disposals a game and still not getting a game in seniors at North.

On the weekend he got 39 touches and 9 clearences playing VFL for North Ballarat.

Whats some of your thoughts on Cruize, has been killing it in the VFL this season averaging over 30 disposals a game and still not getting a game in seniors at North.

On the weekend he got 39 touches and 9 clearences playing VFL for North Ballarat.

He's a midget.

Not a chance he'll get a crack considering Brabazon chops it up for Claremont and he hasnt even been thrown a rookie listing right under the noses of the Fremantle recruiting staff.

Height is the issue.

He's a midget.

Not a chance he'll get a crack considering Brabazon chops it up for Claremont and he hasnt even been thrown a rookie listing right under the noses of the Fremantle recruiting staff.

Height is the issue.

Height isnt an issue, not with skills like his.
VFL is an whole level up from WAFL IMO so if he dominates that much in VFL I would take him over someone performing the same in the WAFL.

Has got 29 disposals in the AFL against us as well and i read somewhere that he only played around 50% game time.

The kids is worth a look.

Height isnt an issue, not with skills like his.
VFL is an whole level up from WAFL IMO so if he dominates that much in VFL I would take him over someone performing the same in the WAFL.

Has got 29 disposals in the AFL against us as well and i read somewhere that he only played around 50% game time.

The kids is worth a look.

If he's as good as you say he is, shouldnt he be starting week in week out in a bottom eight side?

He was a standout country footballer, did enough for Perth to get a look in but without wanting to sound like a prick, he's too small for AFL.

I didnt think there was a height requirement for AFL.

Always thought if your good enough you can play AFL.

To be honest i wouldnt have a clue why he isnt getting picked to play seniors but he should be playing.

I didnt think there was a height requirement for AFL.

Always thought if your good enough you can play AFL.

To be honest i wouldnt have a clue why he isnt getting picked to play seniors but he should be playing.

Sorry the height issue is one element which can be surpassed by a player if they are manic at the ball and defensively minded.

See Ballantyne.

Cruize is a midfielder, that's predominantly where he has played his football.

A small/inside mid can be a liability simply due to the distance between the hands of the ruckman and the receiving rover.

Too much hang time which is a reason why Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow and Morabito were introduced to our midfield mix at the expense of the likes of Palmer, Schammer and it's a reason Hinkley doesnt get too much of a look in, it's also the reason why we see Pav spending so much time in the middle to much frustration.

Nothing against the kid from a skills perspective, but he'll always be a 4th or 5th choice.

Probably why he cant get a game at the lowley Roos, that and he isnt the first bloke to man up the other way.

There's also a theory, particularly at Collingwood that smaller mids give away more free kicks, reaching for the tackle.

Anyway, I'd say there is next to no chance he'll get a look in at Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope I dont.

Prestia says hi.

Also, you're stretching it if you're trying to justify that Schammer, Hinkley & Palmer aren't cracking games because of their height.

Prestia is explosive, and manic at the ball and man.

Garlett is a very natural footballer, lacks weapons.

You need one to make it in the AFL, sadly he's just a short, ball magnet, dime a dozen type.

And if you are happy to deny the gradual shift away from short midfielders, particularly with Fremantle, to taller types, well, good luck to you.

Prestia is explosive, and manic at the ball and man.

Garlett is a very natural footballer, lacks weapons.

You need one to make it in the AFL, sadly he's just a short, ball magnet, dime a dozen type.

And if you are happy to deny the gradual shift away from short midfielders, particularly with Fremantle, to taller types, well, good luck to you.

Ball magnet not a weapon? We could use someone who got some ball. Frankly if he was able to get his hands on it 20-30 times a game and feed it to our runners he'd be more than handy. Broughton is doing similar things without really having any weapons.

He's 2cm taller than Brent Harvey.

What's his pace like?

Guessing you dont watch much of Brabazon at WAFL level.

He's a runner, but he's also a clearance machine.

Nope I dont.

Don't watch him but...

Brabazon in an AFL engine room would be about as effective as Ibbotson in our centre square bounces, on a good day.

Feel free to comment on his capabilities.

Vastly different players Ibbotson and Brabazon, so that's just a silly nothing statement that deserves no more attention.

In regards to your statement about 190cm players, it absolutely matters in regards to first possession and clearance rates, especially when we have the tallest ruckman in the game and another 200+ giants backing him up.

You never stop and think why the midfield suddenly went from Bell, Schammer, Palmer, Cook types to the likes of Mundy, Fyfe, Pav and Morabito?

Ball magnet not a weapon? We could use someone who got some ball. Frankly if he was able to get his hands on it 20-30 times a game and feed it to our runners he'd be more than handy. Broughton is doing similar things without really having any weapons.

He's 2cm taller than Brent Harvey.

What's his pace like?

He's not quick, wouldnt call him slow but not explosive.

Seriously, if Garlett stands next to a bloke 185cm who's more likely to win first possession?

Like I said, nothing against the guy he's got talent which I saw first hand at Railways but it's just not where the modern game is headed.

If a club has a choice between a short ball magnet, a mid sized ball magnet and tallish ball magnet, the little fella will always come last.

Including Sandi in this isn't really fair to the discussion, he gets his clearances irrespective of a midfield of Pavliches or Schammers, that and we're discussing the midfielders clearances capabilities and not the ruckmen who supply them.

Ok, so you think it's just a massive coincidence that the height of our midfield has noticeably increased over the last 2-3 years and we are now one of the better clearance sides with a full line up?

You dont remember the days where Sandi would win the hits and we asked ourselves why we couldnt get our hands to the ball first?

I certainly do.

Okay, I agree with that and i've recognised that over the last 3 years also. Dispite the clearances it's midfield ascendancy through versatility we're yet to fully achieve. I just believe it's short-sighted to eliminate someone from our midfield calculations purely because of height if they're a proven clearance winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cruize Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back