CrumbingForwards

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
I have never seen the ball rebound so easily out of our forward line - EVER! If the ball came to ground in our forward line, we just could not keep it in. We crumbed the ball just twice in our Forward 50 for the whole game!
I'm sorry to say, but Leigh Harding, you are on very thin ice.

Devil Fish said:
I have never seen the ball rebound so easily out of our forward line - EVER! If the ball came to ground in our forward line, we just could not keep it in. We crumbed the ball just twice in our Forward 50 for the whole game!

I think HArding was one player who at least had a crack. Plenty of others more culpable IMO.

Crumbing forwards were non existent. Harvey got plenty of possesions but they were mainly across half back kicking into the forward line. Thats not where he does his damage, he needs to be were the kick is going ready for crumbs, along with Grant, Harding, Wells etc.

Its no good our small blokes playing chippy chippy footy in the back line when we need them down forward.

deano1 said:
Crumbing forwards were non existent. Harvey got plenty of possesions but they were mainly across half back kicking into the forward line. Thats not where he does his damage, he needs to be were the kick is going ready for crumbs, along with Grant, Harding, Wells etc.

Its no good our small blokes playing chippy chippy footy in the back line when we need them down forward.

What the F**k!

If your going to point the finger at Haring, then you better keep on pointing! And not just at the forward line, look at ever line!

ShovelstoShovels said:

What the F**k!

If your going to point the finger at Haring, then you better keep on pointing! And not just at the forward line, look at ever line!

Um I think your quoting the wrong person their, I never said Harding was on thin ice.:confused:

Harding--the invisible man!! Makes a brief appearance when the ball's coming down to the forward line and there's a chance to kick a goal.Most of the time he misses if he gets the ball; then fades out of sight again. The forward line let us down badly today as well as every other line.

It's okay to go on about crumbing forwards, but ask yourself this:

Do we play the sort of football that is conducive to bringing crumbing forwards into the game?

IMO, the biggest problem we have at the moment is our game plan.

Flag Man said:
Do we play the sort of football that is conducive to bringing crumbing forwards into the game?
Absolutely. Thommo and Sav give a contest, it's what happens after the ball hits the ground that hurts. A crumber would have plenty of chances.

I thought harding was utter rubbish today

He dropped nearly everything on the lead and i didn't see him crum once :confused:

What the hell was he doing down back chipping it around anyway :rolleyes:

Dingster said:
Absolutely. Thommo and Sav give a contest, it's what happens after the ball hits the ground that hurts. A crumber would have plenty of chances.

I think we overposses a lot of times coming forward allowing the opposition to flood back more easily and fill the spaces for the crumbers.

A classic example today was Daniel Wells. When he got the ball in the middle and ran forward quickly, we scored.

JerryWexler said:
Was probably trying to up his possession count making sure he doesn't get the tap on the shoulder when the carving knife gets dusted off.

yeh, he probably chose himself on dream team :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dingster said:

I agree - with tall forwards it is all about crumbers feeding off them. When they are all in front of the contest, or 30 metres away, what hope have you got.

Pathetic.

Flag Man said:
I think we overposses a lot of times coming forward allowing the opposition to flood back more easily and fill the spaces for the crumbers.

A classic example today was Daniel Wells. When he got the ball in the middle and ran forward quickly, we scored.

Theres no doubt about that.

In years gone by when a team wins possesion in the the back half you would see players streaming down into the forward half to get numbers down there.

Now when they win possesion in the back half the players without the ball peel off to the side waiting for the chip kick, meanwhile the oposition is getting numbers back.

I dunno if it was just me, but it seemed the reason we didnt have any crumbers was because they were all leading up the ground....something a chf should be doing.

Flag Man said:
It's okay to go on about crumbing forwards, but ask yourself this:

IMO, the biggest problem we have at the moment is our game plan.

IMO the biggest problem is we don't seem to have a gameplan. We certainly don't play man on man when we haven't got it and when we do have it we're only one wayward kick or handball away from handing it over. We look slow, we don't fight to keep it in the forward line and our disposal into the forward line is hit or miss, mainly miss. I could not tell you what our game plan is.

deano1 said:
Theres no doubt about that.

In years gone by when a team wins possesion the the back half you would see players streaming down into the forward half to get numbers down there.

Now when they win possesion in the back half the players without the ball peel off to the side waiting for the chip kick, meanwhile the oposition is getting numbers back.

Exactly deano, and when you have footskills like ours the opposition only have to press back hard to create turmovers and gain scoring opportunities.

We wouldd be better off banging it 50-60 metres forward and turning it over, or getting scoring opportunities.

I reckon we turned the ball over 15 times today from unforced errors.

I have said it for 2 years, I said it earlier this week, and I will say it again.

We would be at least a 5 goal better side with a Pagan style coach, when you consider our player list.

mattyc2422 said:
Eddie Sansbury perhaps?

Would be irrelevant when our gameplan is taken into consideration.

Eddie was hopeless for North Ballarat, and I doubt he is going to make it.

Another wasted draft pick by Dean Laidley

IMO the biggest problem is we don't seem to have a gameplan.

There is a gameplan, however it is one dimensional, uninspiring, overpossesive and other coaches have worked it out.

Once the gameplan breaks down, we are gone.

Flag Man said:
Would be irrelevant when our gameplan is taken into consideration.

Eddie was hopeless for North Ballarat, and I doubt he is going to make it.

Another wasted draft pick by Dean Laidley

Sansbury should be given a run as a crumbing forward. I still have no idea why Laidley is trying to turn him into a HBF when we already have them coming our of our ears. We've got nothing to lose by giving him a go in the forward line.

The only crumber Laidley has drafted was Shane Harvey (and yeah, I'll get in before someone else does and mention Aaron Davey :mad: ). The others that have been on the list were Jeremy Clayton and Harding, who were both Pagan draftees. None of them have made the role their own, and I'd argue that Harding has it by default because no-one else is putting pressure on him for the role. Meanwhile, Laidley doesn't seem keen to force Brent Harvey and/or Grant into a permanent crumbing role.

Remove this Banner Ad

CrumbingForwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back