Culina: AFL supporters who dont embrace football are "insecure in their code"

Remove this Banner Ad

dididi

Debutant
Feb 12, 2007
Sydney
Australians don't understand how big this is: Culina

By Cameron Tomarchio

SYDNEY, May 21 AAP - Sydney FC coach Branko Culina believes most Australians do not appreciate the magnitude of what his men are on the verge of achieving in Asia.

If the Blues beat Japanese glamour club Urawa Reds in front of an expected 60,000-plus crowd at Saitama Stadium on Wednesday night they move into the final eight of the Asian Champions League.

It is arguably the biggest game an Australian club has ever contested and, should Sydney go through, Culina says it will be ``the greatest achievement in Australian football history, aside from World Cups''.

``It's been undervalued and it's probably because we've not been exposed to this kind of thing before,'' Culina said.

``It's a bit like the World Cup. I don't think the Australian media had any idea what the World Cup was all about until Australia got there and, even then, the real interest still wasn't generated until we beat Japan.

``Then you saw the Channel Nines and the Channel Sevens and everyone else send additional crews ... but until we got there it was just `yeah, yeah, Australia's competing, so what?'.

``We're locked into rugby league and the AFL over here. We think we're the best in the world, but not even 20 million people follow AFL or rugby league.

``I'm a big fan of rugby league and AFL, don't get me wrong, but football - our football - is played in places like China with a population of 1.3 billion people, Indonesia with 245 million people and Japan with 130 million or something.

``And the main sport - probably the only sport - in most of those places is football. It is absolutely huge.''

Culina said those who chose not to embrace the growing nature of football Down Under were unAustralian and insecure in their code.

``All Australians are sports minded people and if you're not going to accept football you're unAustralian,'' Culina said.

``These people within other codes - not all of them but a few - they're very insecure because they know that it is only football that is global.

``Let's face it, when Australia played at the World Cup and got all that publicity, what football was doing was promoting our country. It was a greater promotion than any tourism company or politician ever could have hoped to achieve.''

Who cares how many people follow 'football' around the world?

I live in Australia and follow the AFL. Sure I follow 'soccer' too, but as a second string.

What is Culina out to achieve here? No one gives a royal about his Sydney team anyways... I mean, they're hardly the best team in Australia at the moment.

If Soccer ever becomes the No.1 sport here, I would firstly throw up, and then secondly, leave the country.

I prefer watching a sport that generates scores in at least double digits, and if that makes me "un-australian" then so be it.

God I hate the term "unaustralian''
Its smallminded, or maybe ignorant, perhaps blinkered but thats all. It is not unaustralian.
I like all football codes. If you dont compare them it is easy.
Good on Syd FC. We should all hope they win.
Spent time in England and even the most passionate haters of other clubs all go for the English clubs in Euro comps.

If Soccer ever becomes the No.1 sport here, I would firstly throw up, and then secondly, leave the country.

I prefer watching a sport that generates scores in at least double digits, and if that makes me "un-australian" then so be it.
This is an example of small minded and ignorant. Being a pie fan he/she might be many other things as well, but not unaustralian

I follow both codes (AFL is my number 1, but I do follow Sydney FC as well). But of course anyone is going to talk up their own code - same as Kevin Sheedy did when he said people watching the Melbourne Victory game instead of the International Rules need to get a life.
I'll be watching on Wednesday night, but it's going to be tough. If only we could have landed that penalty against the diving Shanghai cheats a couple of weeks ago.....

Australians don't understand how big this is: Culina

By Cameron Tomarchio

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Culina said those who chose not to embrace the growing nature of soccer Down Under were unAustralian and insecure in their code.

``All Australians are sports minded people and if you're not going to accept soccer you're unAustralian,'' Culina said.

What a knob this bloke is, if someone hates a boring sport they are unaustralian, well Culina, you can take your game & shove it where the sun don't shine. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would have heaved your guts out if you were at the G on Saturday night in that case. ;)

I hate the promotion of soccer in Australia. Almost forcing us to assimilate to the European prima donna sport. We are Australian. Rugby and AFL are our codes because blokes putting their body on the line for eachother is what we like to see. Not pansies taking sickening dives (although this is creeping into AFL). Soccer can **** off as far as I'm concerned, we don't have to be like everyone else, the sports that this country grew up with are superior, and the rest of the worst doesn't know that!

OT. Can anyone tell me why the Melbourne Victory arent playing ?

b/c Sydney FC won the comp before the victory did in 2006 - remember? (Oh thats right anything not out of Melbourne is insignificant) Thats gives them the right to represent Australia in the asian cup. Victories chance will come next year.

Perhaps Culina is unAustralian for not following football we play here

If he wants to be surrounded by people that live and breathe soccer then maybe Australia isn't the place for him

b/c Sydney FC won the comp before the victory did in 2006 - remember? (Oh thats right anything not out of Melbourne is insignificant) Thats gives them the right to represent Australia in the asian cup. Victories chance will come next year.

Its a stupid rule that needs to be ammended, it means the BEST team in the A-League this season is NOT representing our country at the Asian CL. Hmmm.

I hate the promotion of soccer in Australia. Almost forcing us to assimilate to the European prima donna sport. We are Australian. Rugby and AFL are our codes because blokes putting their body on the line for eachother is what we like to see.

Mate leave your little inbred small town mentality at the door. I love AFL, Futbol, RL and in no way do i find the promotion of this code to be offensive.

It doesn't suprise me that the only people who don't support the real world game are pesky little small minded Victorians who are so threatened by futbols increasing popularity.

Soccer can **** off as far as I'm concerned, we don't have to be like everyone else, the sports that this country grew up with are superior, and the rest of the worst doesn't know that!

Ahhh here we go - exhibit A. The bogan who thumps his chest and proclaims "We are the best in the world" to an empty audience. Shame the rest of the world doesn't share your view of Australia - moite.

Sorry Branko, Im not into riverdancing with a ball.

I dont embrace the Rugby codes either, because I dont really like the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Culina: AFL supporters who dont embrace football are "insecure in their code"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back