News Cyril and Shannyn Rioli speak to Caro - link to club statement in page 8

Remove this Banner Ad

The statement from the club is a little underwhelming tbh but I suppose it's something whilst they work out how they really respond to this.
They need to come out tough - look at what happened at Collingwood and their poor management? Who TF made the b***g statement? heck me. And why should we wait for whoever it was to be outed. Come out and admit it and ask for an apology or you’re a weak prick

Dear Hawthorn Board,

The revelations in today’s Age article make it more important than ever that the club improve its efforts at reconciliation with the Indigenous community, particularly in welcoming, embracing and celebrating our past, present and future Indigenous players and their families.

Please make it possible for our club legend Cyril Rioli and his family to one day return to the club.

Please make sure the new Kennedy Centre has an Indigenous wing, to foster our Indigenous players and members, and acknowledge the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the land where we train and conduct our business.

Please give our Indigenous Player Development Manager Brady Grey every support in making things better.

And please impress upon our current President that after many years of outstanding work for the club, his time has come, and he should pass over the baton.

I just hope this doesn't cause a distraction for our club and all that is on our mind is beating Carlton tomorrow.
I find it ironical that this bullshit has resurfaced now that we have made an unexpected good start to the year. It feels like there's underlying motives behind this .Who fed Caroline Wilson this story and why bring it up now? Im guessing it might be the same party who fed her all of the Mitchell/ Clarkson bullshit last year ?

Sad all round. Is there any context as to why this has come out in 2022 and not back in 2018? Or even 2013?

There were already plenty of rumours he left over disrespect shown to Shannyn from Kennett, but it was unclear how accurate they were without the full extent of the story being revealed, because it seemed silly Cyril would leave entirely over a single incident, but now that the backstory is filled in, it makes a lot more sense.

I just hope this doesn't cause a distraction for our club and all that is on our mind is beating Carlton tomorrow.
I find it ironical that this bullshit has resurfaced now that we have made an unexpected good start to the year. It feels like there's underlying motives behind this .Who fed Caroline Wilson this story and why bring it up now? Im guessing it might be the same party who fed her all of the Mitchell/ Clarkson bullshit last year ?
You mean Clarkson’s manager? Seriously get a grip

Who fed caro? Read the story. Cyril and his wife fed her the story.

I bet a hundred journos asked for his comment. Caro got him to talk.

Most large stories like this are held to the weekend for maximum eyeballs/impact, this story is from Cyril and his partner and actually think it was written well

Ian Silk is a board member of 5 minutes. These actions have occurred over many years before his time on the board. Are you taking the piss?
I wrote Silk as in Burgoyne who was mentioned in the article but it was open to misinterpretation so fair enough.

Why no angst towards Burgoyne? Clarkson?

If Kennett is still president by the end of next week our club isn't reading the room/ doing optics right.

He has been great for the club but for everyones benefit he needs to be led out ASAP.

This one cuts deep. Embarrassed by the club, sorry for Cyril and Shan.

Not good enough for by all involved

Jeff - as Prez
Board - to allow that type of attitude and culture at the club
Leadership group at the time - not doing anything when Cyril reported the racist comment

All should hang their heads in shame

I don't think much progress will be made until Australians in general understand and embrace Aboriginal culture.
Someone around here a while back said the same thing. Something like we need to embrace aboriginal culture similar to the way New Zealanders have embraced Māori culture and it’s so so true. The only way can move forward as Australians is together and that can only be done because we all ‘want’ to not ‘have’ to.

This one cuts deep. Embarrassed by the club, sorry for Cyril and Shan.

Not good enough for by all involved

Jeff - as Prez
Board - to allow that type of attitude and culture at the club
Leadership group at the time - not doing anything when Cyril reported the racist comment

All should hang their heads in shame
Jeff is the easy target and will be gone no ifs or buts
Hope we soon hear from those that the sweeping statements have now embroiled. Hodge and Clarko to name a few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not sure of what Jeff is guilty of. The other allegations which don't get the headlines are of a more serious nature.

If Jeff had made the same comments to anyone elses partner, there would be nothing made of it, so how can this be a racial thing? And yes, Jeff is enough of a boofhead that we can safely assume he would have indeed done so. The club did not portray her as anything, they had nothing to gain by doing so given they were all trying to keep Rioli at the club.

It has similarities to Sam Mitchell and Adam Goodes and how we dealt with aspects of their time as players. Sam Mitchell was getting booed by opposition supporters for going into contests with his knees and unintentionally hurting players. He came out and said that he was receiving feedback that he needed to change how he played. he did so, and everyone moved on. Adam Goodes was getting booed in the middle of his diving/sliding into contests with his knees phase, he claimed it was a racial thing and it blew up to be bigger than Ben Hur when it probably didn't need to be.

Maybe it's best that Cyril and the club go their separate ways - not all former players need to have a chummy relationship with their former employer. He seems happier up in Darwin and fair play to him. Towards the end of his time he was a reluctant player at best for a lot of understandable reasons, the jeans incident wasn't a reason to leave, it was an excuse.

Still not sure of what Jeff is guilty of. The other allegations which don't get the headlines are of a more serious nature.

If Jeff had made the same comments to anyone elses partner, there would be nothing made of it, so how can this be a racial thing? And yes, Jeff is enough of a boofhead that we can safely assume he would have indeed done so. The club did not portray her as anything, they had nothing to gain by doing so given they were all trying to keep Rioli at the club.

It has similarities to Sam Mitchell and Adam Goodes and how we dealt with aspects of their time as players. Sam Mitchell was getting booed by opposition supporters for going into contests with his knees and unintentionally hurting players. He came out and said that he was receiving feedback that he needed to change how he played. he did so, and everyone moved on. Adam Goodes was getting booed in the middle of his diving/sliding into contests with his knees phase, he claimed it was a racial thing and it blew up to be bigger than Ben Hur when it probably didn't need to be.

Maybe it's best that Cyril and the club go their separate ways - not all former players need to have a chummy relationship with their former employer. He seems happier up in Darwin and fair play to him. Towards the end of his time he was a reluctant player at best for a lot of understandable reasons, the jeans incident wasn't a reason to leave, it was an excuse.

Not really up to you or I to decide how a comment is received. There is quite obviously a long history of racially natured comments which have built up and built up. Playing down the nature of comments designed to, at best embarrass someone and at worst, well.. I don't even want to get into that really.

Get ready for some feedback on your views and position. Some of it justified and some over the top. But I am sure you knew that before you wrote it

I seriously can’t believe we have not put our whole club through a cultural awareness program.

My work put our 100 employees through one last year and trust me when I tell you “To see things through our First Nations people is an eye opener”

I learnt more in that 8 hours, than I thought I had learnt in my entire life.

I urge the club to put everyone from the coach and board down to the person that sells things in the merch shop, and put them through this program.

Unfortunately we can’t put our entire supporter base through one, but god I wish we could.

Not really up to you or I to decide how a comment is received. There is quite obviously a long history of racially natured comments which have built up and built up. Playing down the nature of comments designed to, at best embarrass someone and at worst, well.. I don't even want to get into that really.
But it is up to us to debate this, that's why we're on here. The article throws a lot of serious allegations about, yet there is no link between what Jeff said about a pair of jeans and a history of "racially natured comments" as you put it.

You mention "playing down the nature of comments designed to, at best embarrass someone". If this is the standard by which we're judging interactions between people, then we should prohibit banter for this it precisely what Jeff was intending. This doesn't prohibit someone from being offended at what someone say, however Jeff attempting banter in this instance doesn't have malicious intent.

I don't have an issue with the timing or facts of the article itself, say what you think about Caroline Wilson, she is generally correct on events that she reports. Where I do take issue is that the article tries to tie multiple themes together in a narrative that is specious at best.

But it is up to us to debate this, that's why we're on here. The article throws a lot of serious allegations about, yet there is no link between what Jeff said about a pair of jeans and a history of "racially natured comments" as you put it.

You mention "playing down the nature of comments designed to, at best embarrass someone". If this is the standard by which we're judging interactions between people, then we should prohibit banter for this it precisely what Jeff was intending. This doesn't prohibit someone from being offended at what someone say, however Jeff attempting banter in this instance doesn't have malicious intent.

I don't have an issue with the timing or facts of the article itself, say what you think about Caroline Wilson, she is generally correct on events that she reports. Where I do take issue is that the article tries to tie multiple themes together in a narrative that is specious at best.

What exactly do you think the narrative is? We have a young Aboriginal family presenting facts and you're playing it off as some kind of anti-Hawthorn agenda? I would almost suggest you being a prime candidate for cultural awareness courses, because this is an awful, awful take.

It’s ventilating a slightly larger cultural / community issue than whether we win Rd 3 against Carlton don’t you think?

So no, it’s not ironic (al)

Be interested to hear from, inter alia, Burgoyne and Bateman on their experiences at the club.
Sometimes it’s not experienced first hand but an underlying current that runs through people that are not educated on indigenous issues.

Kind of like when you hear racist jokes at a BBQ.

I used to tolerate it, but I now call it out.

I think that in the past it was just there and I am pretty sure you would find Silk and Changa would have experienced it, as every First Nation person has.

Sometimes the person shields himself from it, as a way to cope.

Get ready for some feedback on your views and position. Some of it justified and some over the top. But I am sure you knew that before you wrote i
Get ready for some feedback on your views and position. Some of it justified and some over the top. But I am sure you knew that before you wrote it
What exactly do you think the narrative is? We have a young Aboriginal family presenting facts and you're playing it off as some kind of anti-Hawthorn agenda? I would almost suggest you being a prime candidate for cultural awareness courses, because this is an awful, awful take.

What exactly do you think the narrative is? The allegations of the comments made by players in 2013 and Cyril leaving the club 5 years later are separate events, despite the attempts of the article to link them. Like I said earlier, the I believe the jeans comments were not a reason, rather an excuse for Cyril to leave. He was open in that he was struggling following the death of his father and the club bent over backwards to support the player at that time.

We have a young Aboriginal family presenting facts. No, they are allegations at this stage, however serious and should be followed up with alacrity by the club. Who knew what was said? When? Was it reported? Was anything done? Could anything have been misinterpreted? Was this a once-off event or part of repeated behaviour?

You're playing it off as some kind of anti-Hawthorn agenda? No, patently false given I stated that I believe Caro's report to be correct.

I would almost suggest you being a prime candidate for cultural awareness courses, because this is an awful, awful take. Your opinion on my opinion is irrelevant to me, all I am doing is offering a different take without the outrage of some, whilst I post rarely I do read regularly to get different viewpoints on things that affect our club. There are parts of the allegations which have an obvious racial nature, there are parts that do not and accepting Caro's narrative at face value threatens the clubs ability to actually deal with the real issues as described above.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Cyril and Shannyn Rioli speak to Caro - link to club statement in page 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back