Rumour Daisy Pearce to Geelong as an Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL has created 6 coaching roles for women in the AFL and will pay 50% of their salary and the rest is outside the soft cap. The only competition Daisy has is other women chasing one of those 6 roles. She is undoubtedly the best candidate on that basis and it will be a coup for Geelong if she accepts the offer. Hopefully by creating these roles the AFL will show that "merit" is more than AFL games played and that there is a group of women who not only understand the game at the elite level but can coach it as well.

It's not a complete shame, my bet is she wouldn't have the job if she wasn't a woman.
Possibly true - but on the basis of positive discrimination - i.e. all other things being equal, select the woman. She has as much experience as any woman can have, she has shown herself to be astute and knowledgeable in the media and she is learning the craft in a formal sense through coaching accreditation. She is is a quality person and as Frank Costa used to say 'hire for character, train for skill'. Being a 200 game player means diddly squat when you are seeking to get the best performance out of your team. And she is not replacing Chris Scott, she'll have her own area of responsibility by which she will be critiqued.

It's not a complete shame, my bet is she wouldn't have the job if she wasn't a woman.

This is an absurd argument. If you take away her being a women, it is a fairly fundamental part of who she is. I just don’t know how she could possibly counter that one?

I thought you would have gone down the route of her being friends with Danger as being why she got the job. Would have been a stronger position for you to argue against her.

What is the actual role she is being considered for?
Assistant is a very broad term and , as we know, we have dispensed with Line Coaches.
I'd like to know what the role entails and where it fits into our new coaching structure - without knowing that it's difficult to assess her as a potential candidate.
Don't mind the concept and her to be honest if it adds value and makes us better.

What is the actual role she is being considered for?
Assistant is a very broad term and , as we know, we have dispensed with Line Coaches.
I'd like to know what the role entails and where it fits into our new coaching structure - without knowing that it's difficult to assess her as a potential candidate.
Don't mind the concept and her to be honest if it adds value and makes us better.

Exactly this.

All the relentless banging on about 'merit' here is both predictable and laughable. You only have to spend five minutes considering the state of leadership in politics, corporations, sporting clubs and every other field of endeavour to find numerous examples of men who 'won' their roles purely on the basis of their gender, long before any considerations of real merit.

On the basis of the fifty years I've been alive, many, many women have been overlooked for roles, for no other reason than their gender. And men have been the beneficiaries of this inequity for just about forever. But as soon as someone starts talking about trying to right the clear inequity that exists, spurious claims about the primacy of merit emerge, to seek to kick the can a little further down the road. A vain attempt to prevent some measure of balance returning to the objective assessment of each candidate's 'merits' for any role you might care to consider.

The only reason that this form of specious argument still flies is because the concept of merit is actually inherently right, just and fair. Problem is, though, merit-based appointments between the two genders have run one way for so long that the prospect of redressing the imbalance simply by continuing the status quo is as risible and patronising as the men who perpetuate it.

I'd be all for 'merit', if it could actually be demonstrated that it is actually the objective basis for why we still live in a world where men basically run the show and women pretty much fill the gaps.

I've just had a quick look. She played 38 games, and is currently doing Level 3 coaching accreditation.

I'll ask because I bet many are afraid to - why is she more qualified than a candidate who has played 200+ games and has decades of experience?

Some of the greatest coaches in sports never played at the elite level.

Red Auberach, Gregg Popovich, Chuck Daly.

Currently Nick Nurse, Erik Spoelstra, Sean McVay, Bill Belichick.

This list both past and present goes on.

Maybe we should start looking past ex-players for coaching roles and look at people who are actually talented coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it matter if they're qualified or are chromosomes the only thing that matters?

Qualifications are necessary. But you need to have an even gender quota because as it stands, the AFL is still predominately run by men and the game is no better for it as we speak.

Some of the greatest coaches in sports never played at the elite level.

Red Auberach, Gregg Popovich, Chuck Daly.

Currently Nick Nurse, Erik Spoelstra, Sean McVay, Bill Belichick.

This list both past and present goes on.

Maybe we should start looking past ex-players for coaching roles and look at people who are actually talented coaches.

I agree completely with the last point, but then it becomes what kind of prior coaching experience do they (i.e. all assistants) have? I'd imagine they aren't too many McCartney's around with stellar local coaching records to be grabbed.

All the relentless banging on about 'merit' here is both predictable and laughable. You only have to spend five minutes considering the state of leadership in politics, corporations, sporting clubs and every other field of endeavour to find numerous examples of men who 'won' their roles purely on the basis of their gender, long before any considerations of real merit.

On the basis of the fifty years I've been alive, many, many women have been overlooked for roles, for no other reason than their gender. And men have been the beneficiaries of this inequity for just about forever. But as soon as someone starts talking about trying to right the clear inequity that exists, spurious claims about the primacy of merit emerge, to seek to kick the can a little further down the road. A vain attempt to prevent some measure of balance returning to the objective assessment of each candidate's 'merits' for any role you might care to consider.

The only reason that this form of specious argument still flies is because the concept of merit is actually inherently right, just and fair. Problem is, though, merit-based appointments between the two genders have run one way for so long that the prospect of redressing the imbalance simply by continuing the status quo is as risible and patronising as the men who perpetuate it.

I'd be all for 'merit', if it could actually be demonstrated that it is actually the objective basis for why we still live in a world where men basically run the show and women pretty much fill the gaps.
Yeah, when you read someone like Rita Panahi arguing against quotas in the Liberal Party because women should have to get in on 'merit', ignoring all the male bozos over the years who've just got in because they're male, you've got to laugh.

Any proof for that?

Or was the part about hoping she's the best person for the job it?

Lmao...yeah sure let's explore that shall we?

Given the role was made especially for women, and it means that the AFL comps 50% of the cost, then what you're actually asking, is whether another male coach at twice the price, is worth more than Daisy? Not to mention, the inside knowledge she has from being part of the MFC who are one of the most successful teams in the comp right now - both men's and women's sides.

She also brings a different perspective, has experience dealing with football personalities by being both a boundary rider and a lead commentator, has a good character and is already undertaking a coaching cert - rather than just being given the job because of her name. Not to mention what it does for our women's side, having her around the building - given her significant contributions to get the brand off the ground.

When you think of 'merit' you're thinking of equity vs equality. For Daisy to get a job in this field, she has to compete against 95%+ male candidates who already have their experience and get a lot of their jobs based on name and not coaching talent either - you think Brendan Bolton would have got a senior coaching job if Clarkson wasn't his mentor?

If someone like Tayla Harris, or Emma Kearney had been offered the role, because of their names but with no experience or educational progression, then perhaps you'd have a point. However, these 6 roles have been specifically created for women interested in coaching. This means it is considered on merit, solely based on which women apply.

In order to grow the game for women, they need to have higher profile jobs in higher performance environments such as established men's sides, so they can then in turn bring those techniques back to women's football and improve the AFLW as a whole.

Lastly, returning to the 'equity vs equality' argument, women are significantly underrepresented in nearly all facets of high profile coaching roles - especially in the AFL. How exactly do you expect that to change if women aren't even given a ticket to enter the door, because they have to compete against men who have been given more avenues to the position/are generally more favoured due to toxic footy workplace personas such as Ross Lyon and Eddie McGuire in the past, always undermining and treating women as lesser?

It's not an even playing field, and all of you on here kicking up a stink about it, are completely glossing over that. Besides, she'd be ONE assistant coach. Even if she's shit, she's not the head coach - she's just one cog in the system. Give her a chance before you dismiss her...especially when we're only paying half price if we get her.

I agree completely with the last point, but then it becomes what kind of prior coaching experience do they (i.e. all assistants) have? I'd imagine they aren't too many McCartney's around with stellar local coaching records to be grabbed.

I definitely agree with what prior experience they have in coaching/analytics roles.

Someone like Erik Spoelstra started coaching in Germany's 2nd division then became Miami's video coordinator, then assistant for over a decade and then has been their head coach for almost 15 years and is one of the best coaches ever.

There'd be potential AFL coaches who have gone through similar paths but don't get picked up and get snubbed for dudes like Neeld etc

Yeah, when you read someone like Rita Panahi arguing against quotas in the Liberal Party because women should have to get in on 'merit', ignoring all the male bozos over the years who've just got in because they're male, you've got to laugh.
Or weep.

So you're saying it's laughable to want someone to be qualified for their job?

So when you say "men have been the beneficiaries", do you mean all men, or just some? Does it include me? Am I risible and patronising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back