Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken Hinkley does not want to lose Houston
this rubbish about Port pushing him out is really stupid , Port are in their window and Kens last contracted year he will want every weapon he has firing and will fight tooth and nail to keep him.

This is not going to be a cheap trade specially with Rioli traded for #6 plus change they will be pointing to that at every meeting and using it as the value

When Houston was suspended for that bump on Rankine, it made Port’s odds of winning the flag this year reduce to about 40%.

When Farrell got injured against Fremantle, it reduced it to zero. We were never going to do anything without two players who operate at over 80% KE while taking risks that most players would go at below 50% KE, because it completely negated our advantage in the midfield since now we had players who couldn’t hit those corridor kicks that opened up the field for our mids. It completely neutered our game style.

So it’s the height of ignorance to say that we want to push Houston out because we have replacements for him. We absolutely ****ing don’t. That’s why if you want him you’re going to pay through the nose…and Houston knows this, hence why he’s said he’s happy to stay if a trade can’t be done.

Or again we can keep him... remember Papley? Blues couldn't come to the table with a reasonable deal to satisfy the Swans and look where he stayed?
Papley hardly comparable, we offered him a boat load of cash to come to a bottom 4 team and the swans backed themselves in to change his mind the following year by making him stay, no one else was linked to him.

Houston on the other hand just wants to come to victoria doesn't care who he gets to was going to be melbourne until they turned into a basket case, carlton became the next option but when we said we wouldn't sell the farm to get him he is desperate enough to go to north if he has to.

Keep him if you like, if his form dips and he still wants to go home you might get a mid 2nd rounder for him next year.

Papley hardly comparable, we offered him a boat load of cash to come to a bottom 4 team and the swans backed themselves in to change his mind the following year by making him stay, no one else was linked to him.

Houston on the other hand just wants to come to victoria doesn't care who he gets to was going to be melbourne until they turned into a basket case, carlton became the next option but when we said we wouldn't sell the farm to get him he is desperate enough to go to north if he has to.

Keep him if you like, if his form dips and he still wants to go home you might get a mid 2nd rounder for him next year.

This is some really good head canon.

No worries. Good luck convincing him to pick North lol.
Exactly, all the North talk is hot air if Houston doesn’t want to go there, which he won’t. Declaring he must wants to get to Victoria rather than a specific club is just PR to soften the blow of the request. He’ll stay before he plays a team cellar dweller team in Vic.

Exactly, all the North talk is hot air if Houston doesn’t want to go there, which he won’t. Declaring he must wants to get to Victoria rather than a specific club is just PR to soften the blow of the request. He’ll stay before he plays a team cellar dweller team in Vic.
Absolutely... Houston will nominate a Melbourne team in contention.. from a club that is unlikely to have early 1st round picks.

So then he does care where he goes.

What if the player we select with the pick is a bust, and Houston plays elite for another 4+ years for his new club? No point doing “what if “ it likely wont happen that way anyway.

In all honesty now Cummings and Perryman are not coming to port I think there is a serious chance Dan stays at port
I do too. He is simply worth more to Port than Carlton would be prepared to pay and that's fair enough for both teams. Ken won't want to lose him for unders and we cannot afford to pay fair value or overs for him given our list demographics.

He is a gun, really rate him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont get why Port wouldnt go nuclear here to get pick 2 to grab Sid Draper myself

A deal of say

Pick 2 for Houston + F1st + Soldo compo

Getting another ready to go young midfielder to replace Houston seems the ideal way to go. To get Lukosius if im Port id look to move Ollie Lord on. Think he is too similar in playing style to Georgiades/Marshall who are just better

I dont get why Port wouldnt go nuclear here to get pick 2 to grab Sid Draper myself

A deal of say

Pick 2 for Houston + F1st + Soldo compo

Getting another ready to go young midfielder to replace Houston seems the ideal way to go. To get Lukosius if im Port id look to move Ollie Lord on. Think he is too similar in playing style to Georgiades/Marshall who are just better

Because that would require Houston to agree to the trade which he won't.

Because that would require Houston to agree to the trade which he won't.

Then he would just stay at Port? He is very aware he isnt in much of a position to choose which club he wants as he said during his statement.

If im Port im not even picking up the phone when Carlton rings. Club has nothing of value to give them

Then he would just stay at Port? He is very aware he isnt in much of a position to choose which club he wants as he said during his statement.

If im Port im not even picking up the phone when Carlton rings. Club has nothing of value to give them

I'm saying if Houston options are a bigger vic club or staying at Port and trying for a bigger vic club in 12months he will choose both over North this year.

I'm saying if Houston options are a bigger vic club or staying at Port and trying for a bigger vic club in 12months he will choose both over North this year.

Okay that makes more sense. I think Houston would pick North in these options. Im not sure why people would think Carlton are amazingly better at this stage. Most people see North turning the corner and would be willing to hop on, even if 1 more year of pain is ahead of them

I would suspect a godfather like deal would be the only way Dan goes now. No way Kenny would wanna go into 2025 with L.Jones, Farrell, and Burton as your main HBFs. Cummings and Perryman were critical considering Houston trade request.
Wouldnt say Cumming was important in that aspect but Perryman surely is/was.

I do think if Port can get Draper as a upgrade/replacement of Travis Boak that takes the sting out of the loss elsewhere

Its a case of replacing Houston before he goes 100% but dont think you need a equal player, just one that is able to compete with Jones/Burton. Not sure if guys like Jaxon Prior/Josh Rotham as delisted free agents would work also in terms of giving Burton first run at it in the best 22 as Houstons replacement and just having backup

I thought his statement was very clear that if a deal can’t get done he’ll stay.

Okay that makes more sense. I think Houston would pick North in these options. Im not sure why people would think Carlton are amazingly better at this stage. Most people see North turning the corner and would be willing to hop on, even if 1 more year of pain is ahead of them

I think north always struggle to attract high quality players and won't win flags in the years he has left so I doubt he picks them (I know why Port would want him to).
I think he would just stay 12 months and try to get a contending vic club that has better assets next year.

Remain in Adelaide on a shitty contract.
Or
Play for North on a better contract.
Over to you Dan …
He's not on a shitty contract. He's on one that is offered to a player finishes well in your clubs BnF count and see is seen as vital to your playstyle.

He was given a long term contract. Its just not the size of a contract that someone might get it they were a two times All Australian in their final two years of the previous contract.

I think what happens is:

• Collingwood get pick 12 from GCS
  • Collingwood trade pick 12 and other picks for Houston
  • Port trade pick 12 for Luko
It's the Human Centipede of trades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back