Dangerous tackle roulette v6.9, Maynard v Powell

Remove this Banner Ad

Head didn't hit ground that's why no case to answer, well that's what the reasoning for not suspending him

Heaps of players have got one week for potential to cause injury from far less dangerous looking tackles.

Maynard is protected by the AFL. Assume he has some very good pics of AFL execs doing very bad things.

Just had a look at the Barrass one, as I hadn’t seen it.

The tribunal stated:

“The combination of excessive force, pinning of the arm, and forceful rotation created significant potential for a head or neck injury.”

Looking at the Maynard incident, the arms were not pinned, and also it was no where near the force of Barrass in my opinion.

The sling motion was somewhat dangerous, but only met the threshold for a free kick. There would be a lot of suspensions if you expect that to be the level required.

This is not a good like for like comparison, and looks like further Maynard bashing, which has become absolutely embarrassing lately.
I really don't this conversation is "Maynard Bashing", as far as my input and thoughts it certainly isn't.
This is all about the MRO and the AFL with their BS inconsistencies and flip flops week to week game to game.
All it does is bring discontent and annoyance to the footballing public who just want fair, even and decent treatment across the comp.

I really don't this conversation is "Maynard Bashing", as far as my input and thoughts it certainly isn't.
This is all about the MRO and the AFL with their BS inconsistencies and flip flops week to week game to game.
All it does is bring discontent and annoyance to the footballing public who just want fair, even and decent treatment across the comp.

"Maynard bashing" when people get outraged over Maynard bashing other players and getting away with it.

How's the Daicos tackle on comp hard man Curtis Taylor? So brutal it should have been cited as well.

If Powell's head hit the ground, Maynard would be looking at a 3-4 week suspension. It was an unnecessarily forceful tackle.
Did the same thing with two tackles against Freo last year, in the same sequence of play. Its the kind of player that Maynard is, likes to "hit" his opponents.

And people seriously argued he was just going for a smother last year...

View attachment 2024482

0 weeks vs 2 weeks. Just gotta hope your opponent keeps hold of the ball.
The Maynard one the movement is more rotational on the horizontal rather than vertical, Reid literally lifts and pulls him down on a more vertical axis.

Initially I thought the two incidents were more similar than they actually are so appreciate you bringing them side by side!

The Maynard one the movement is more rotational on the horizontal rather than vertical, Reid literally lifts and pulls him down on a more vertical axis.

Initially I thought the two incidents were more similar than they actually are so appreciate you bringing them side by side!
Lol, see what you want to see.

Lol, see what you want to see.
I’m seeing what’s right in front of me. The potential for the head to impact the ground in the Maynard tackle is far lower than the plane the Reid tackle takes.

Appreciate you illustrating such.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you can seriously look at both those incidents simultaneously and be comfortable in the knowledge that one constitutes a 2 week suspension and one doesn't even get looked at?
I think you may have a job opportunity awaiting you at the AFL if you can.

Aahhh that's what was the difference between the 2. It's the angle of trajectory.
So they AFL has var technology that verifies this so reid copped 2 weeks and maynard did t.
Got it.

I’m seeing what’s right in front of me. The potential for the head to impact the ground in the Maynard tackle is far lower than the plane the Reid tackle takes.

Appreciate you illustrating such.
Except the AFL has repeatedly said it comes down to the slinging action they want to get rid of which Maynard clearly does.

It's the jumper that is the difference.

Head didn't hit the ground at all so I'm not sure what you are all going on about.
It was a forceful tackle, but not dangerous. Shouldn't have even been a free kick. Another dubious decision that cost Collingwood a goal yesterday
Is the action they are trying to stop. There have been others this year who have gone for a lot less

I know it's usually in relation to the head as far as 'dangerous' is concerned, but what happens if his collarbone snaps in this tackle? I reckon if Maynard tackled a smaller player or an 18 year old rookie it would be a possibility.

Two actions.
Potential to cause injury.

Pretty stunned it wasn't a week minimum.

I know it's usually in relation to the head as far as 'dangerous' is concerned, but what happens if his collarbone snaps in this tackle? I reckon if Maynard tackled a smaller player or an 18 year old rookie it would be a possibility.

Two actions.
Potential to cause injury.

Pretty stunned it wasn't a week minimum.

But also not stunned...

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerous tackle roulette v6.9, Maynard v Powell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back