scazvegner90

Rookie
Jun 19, 2010
sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
western bulldogs, VILLA
its known that whoever plays in darwin loses the next week so why are we playing their twice??

sure its good to stretch the supporter base but they have both been away games surely the afl can let someone else go up there.. like its a bit suss!!

do we get anything for playing up there, like melbourne & the doggies will??

In 2004 after floggong the dogs by 85pts (ottomh) on a Saturday night in Darwin the next week we beat Collingwood by 6-7 goals at the MCG on a Friday night.

It can be done.

i hope it happens again because im coming to the showdown but we were a way totally different team back then!!

It was Port Adelaide that secured this arrangement over five years as part of its expansion business plan.

link
Darwin will become Port Adelaide's "home away from home" under the new deal.

Port Adelaide will play two away matches each season in Darwin for at least the next three years.

The Power will play two of Richmond, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs each year as part of the home-and-away season.

"AFL Northern Territory and the Port Adelaide Football Club will be involved in a joint venture approach where we'll share the revenues of the game through the gate and the corporate, and so on."
link

In 2004 after floggong the dogs by 85pts (ottomh) on a Saturday night in Darwin the next week we beat Collingwood by 6-7 goals at the MCG on a Friday night.

I was at both those games, so if anybody wants to organise to fly me down for the gibbeders game as a good luck charm, feel free to post me a ticket...

apart from potentially increasing supporter base, they are away games, so the home team is effectively foregoing their home ground advantage. however, it does seem very difficult to win the following week. using 2004 as an example is skewing it a bit though. would be interesting to see what the next game stats are for all teams who have played up there.

i'm guessing it's good for cash, but what would be the point of winning an away game, if you're just going to lose at home the next week. i'm guessing it's good for the cash. just goes round and round.

I can't believe that anyone from Port could be upset with this little arrangement.

You now play more often in Darwin than the so called "Home Teams" and yet don't give up a home game...wow!
To do that you give up an away game that would have been played at Docklands.
Dogs give up home ground advantage and still have all the associated pitfalls of playing in Darwin. (we don't complain it's about money so we cop it)
So I think it's a massive leg up the AFL gives you. I'd be far more comfortable playing you at Docklands Saturday.

The planets have lined up for you. Hall out, new coach in his first game, Milestone game for Cornes and to top it off it's in Darwin!! You guys should be very confident and very happy with this cosy little deal you have.

I can't believe that anyone from Port could be upset with this little arrangement.

You now play more often in Darwin than the so called "Home Teams" and yet don't give up a home game...wow!
To do that you give up an away game that would have been played at Docklands.
Dogs give up home ground advantage and still have all the associated pitfalls of playing in Darwin. (we don't complain it's about money so we cop it)
So I think it's a massive leg up the AFL gives you. I'd be far more comfortable playing you at Docklands Saturday.

The planets have lined up for you. Hall out, new coach in his first game, Milestone game for Cornes and to top it off it's in Darwin!! You guys should be very confident and very happy with this cosy little deal you have.

We're easily upset ATM :eek:

Yeah pros & cons on balance it is a good thing for all. Climate can make it a far tougher trip than Perth. In a flag year, we got over the handicap the next week, but no club has a group like that every year! Earlier this year we went from tropical to arctic conditions in 7 days, it hurt. You guys are def. top 5; we are not. You've got a slightly wobbly Freo next week in the air condition comfort :D of Jihad; we've got Showdown, I'm predicting hail and a gale. We both want new supporters & members in Darwin. Mile stone games, neutral ground but more big outs from our side [today] ... bugger it, game on !!

Our home game deal at AAMI is worse than you guys and Kangas had at Jihad before Vlad stepped in. If the SANFL would let us (they won't) we'd probably move 1-2 home games up there ourselves for financial reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it seems everytime we go up there against the doggies we get hammered
That is simply not true.

We have a 50% record against the Doggies in Darwin, won two, lost two. They beat us in '08 and '09 because most teams did regardless of where we played.

As DT posted above the Doggies would hammer us at Alberton at the moment.

I don't think many supporters have issues with playing up there? I don't, it's a good move. It would nice to see our side competitive up there however, it may help convince people to support us. The wheel will turn and the Darwin ledger will even up!

I love playing up there, especially as we're not losing home games for it. I heard somewhere that we actually make more money up there than we do for our local home games?

Remove this Banner Ad

darwin twice??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back