Toast David Mundy will retire at the end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

What a fantastic achievement, more so playing so many games for such a young side.
Always played the ball and always there to raise the spirits of those around him.
The game will be lesser for Mundy's leaving.

Have nothing but absolute respect for this bloke. Congratulations on a wonderful career David Mundy👍

I have not watched second of the 2013 Grand Final since I left the center wing of the MCG after watching Hawthorn get their medals and walk around the ground waving the cup in my face.

I replay moments of it in my head regularly though…Fyfe flying across packs taking great marks…then…you know.

Mzungu’s first goal. That muppet giving Rioli a free for giving Barlow a chicken wing…and don’t even get me started on Franklin and McPharlin and the fifty.

but I think the 30 minutes that David Mundy said “**** this, you will not take this game away from us“, how he smashed and weaved through the center and was utterly unstoppable…he willed us back into the game…I can see it….all in my head.

I wasn’t your biggest supporter, especially early…too laconic, not hard enough…

Since then, with force and grace, you kept turning up…371 games worth.
I’ve loved your career, you beautiful man. What a pleasure your career has been.

the rest of your life calls…hope we see you around the club…

Quite a few tears today
I’m going to be a blubbering mess at the Farewell Game

You are a true gentleman David Mundy and it’s been an honour that you have been part of our club for so long
Thank you for your calm presence and loyal service.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not watched second of the 2013 Grand Final since I left the center wing of the MCG after watching Hawthorn get their medals and walk around the ground waving the cup in my face.

I replay moments of it in my head regularly though…Fyfe flying across packs taking great marks…then…you know.

Mzungu’s first goal. That muppet giving Rioli a free for giving Barlow a chicken wing…and don’t even get me started on Franklin and McPharlin and the fifty.

but I think the 30 minutes that David Mundy said “* this, you will not take this game away from us“, how he smashed and weaved through the center and was utterly unstoppable…he willed us back into the game…I can see it….all in my head.

I wasn’t your biggest supporter, especially early…too laconic, not hard enough…

Since then, with force and grace, you kept turning up…371 games worth.
I’ve loved your career, you beautiful man. What a pleasure your career has been.

the rest of your life calls…hope we see you around the club…
you had to bring up that Mcphalin 50

So many great Memories...

• The long "lunches with Mundy"
fNPAYp7.png

7Z1MZ8N.png

• Legend of the Lyon years - Arguably best on for us in 2013 GF.

• Was elite in 2015 in the prelim too - check out his evasion on the broadcast side wing early in the first, absolutely majestic Mundy at his best.

• 2016 - Deserved better as skipper, could not have taken it on at a worse point of our list progression.

• Taming the tigers Pt 1
7zA0joE.jpg

62FELZx.jpg

trWy6oT.gif

NTCHo7P.jpg

• Taming the tigers Pt 2
d9393fdd5687450a024401d2653094cf
6aac8c40bf32a881c053bfbb657504c69d4f54f3

NTCHo7P.jpg

• Was incredible in his 300th game, still at the peak of his powers so late in his career.

• 2022 - Last minute at Alphabet Stadium this season, two repeat efforts in the centre bounce maelstrom instrumental in allowing us to hold on for the win.

And lastly...
  • Taming the tigers Pt 3
Were it not for an errant, champagne Colyer s**t handball we would have seen Mundy do them in for a third and final time a fortnight ago. We were robbed.

Thanks for everything Dave, an underrated genius and amazing clubman. 🙏

img_0866-gif.389930

Thank you David Mundy , absolute Legend. However , against popular opinion I believe the time is now right to retire, time to give young lads in WAFL a run next year etc..
Also, just when we looked jaded and fatigued and cooked for the year , this news sends a bolt thru the whole place and reinvigorates everyone..
He said it perfectly himself “six more wins”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One of my favourite Freo players - actually, probably my favourite.
Even when he used to bury us in derbies, you couldnt hate him for it
great bloke
interesting timing with the retirement announcement? maybe looking for a bit of a spark from the guys before the end of the year?

Nice interview Dave had with Lyon/Roo/Brown on On The Couch, a lot of admiration for his consistency, effort, and durability while having to travel every other week.

Which was then immediately soured by that smug turd John Ralph smirking at the idea that Mundy wanted to retire this year, saying his management were seeking another contract recently. I really hate those “journalists” peddling gossip as fact, game would be better off with out them.

Anyway, I always loved watching Dave play, he has that smooth way of moving across the field with fantastic foot skills, much like Scott Pendlebury or Shaun Burgoyne. It’s going to be weird and a bit sad having a Freo side with no Mundy, I hope he has a role at the club next year.

Everyone plays for premierships, but I would also suggest players take the field to earn respect. The fact that Mundy, together with the likes of Pav, Sandi and McPharlin can leave the game both universally admired and respected by opposition players and supporters speaks more than I could place into words. Such an achievement is even more meritorious coming from a club that has almost universally been unfairly treated and disrespected since inception. Well done Dave, you have made the most of your god given ability and earnt the respect and admiration of all who follow the game. Your timing is perfect (as always) - go well legend.

My favourite Docker ever.
Stood up in the biggest day on our clubs history in the grand final and delivered an excellent personal performance when many about him would have been haunted for years with regrets for how they played that day.
So many great moments. You trusted him in possession more than any other player we have ever had I would say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast David Mundy will retire at the end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back