Review Dees in hell to the tune of 50!

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly I thought he’s played in a similar vein all year, despite people calling for him to retire every second week after he fluffs a kick.

He draws the opposition in, and opens up other teammates with his hands. His vision to find guys in congestion is still very valuable. He does a lot of blocking and creating space too, he’s playing a selfless game and is a midfield general for us.
Also add on the fact he’s calm with the ball and takes his time. Rare skill in traffic.

sad Lee Spurr sounds

Spurr was still playing state league footy at Walker's age and would do for several more seasons before even making it to the AFL.

I loved Spurr but I'm very comfortable in predicting Walker will end up a much better all-round player. Not as good as Roger of course, but no one is.

I’m a big Cox fan (checked my spelling 3 times there) but sometimes his laconic nature irks me. Definitely needs to improve his intensity. One contest today in particular he should’ve easily killed the ball over the line but gave a small spoil and gave up as he assumed the ball would roll out. The Ds player managed to keep it in and set up a shot. Anyway, love the guy and he’s so important but he really needs to lift his intensity. Especially with a bit more depth in the team.

Just a note on Sonny Walters maturity.

The Freo players ran through the banner with 2 kids, after running through the banner, the plays zoomed off to do their warm ups. As they moved off Sonny went over to the youngster and checked to see if they were ok, then ran with them towards the players near the goal square.

You aren’t given respect, you earn it. Sonny has my respect, as he did something that showed in the heat of match day warm ups, he could take the time to help a young supporter.
Sonny is a legend but I also think he’s also our only player with non baby kids so it’s not a surprise he know’s what he’s doing around them compared to the others.

Honestly I thought he’s played in a similar vein all year, despite people calling for him to retire every second week after he fluffs a kick.

He draws the opposition in, and opens up other teammates with his hands. His vision to find guys in congestion is still very valuable. He does a lot of blocking and creating space too, he’s playing a selfless game and is a midfield general for us.
Sturt had his best game in 3 weeks. With son son starting alongside him

I wish I could remain positive with Freddy but in all honesty, if he was playing for another team, you would be “he is a meh” player. Definitely has the ability but this year has been bog average at best. One of our bottom 4
Nah sorry. Freddie's goal-kicking and tackling have been off since his concussion (that was a massive hit), but his speed through the middle and sticky mitts still provide x-factor that scares the shit out of teams on the break. He was huge in transition today, and he impacts a game even if he doesn't get the ball; players can't cheat on him so his effect on space for other players is massive. When he starts kicking straight again he's a genuine game breaker (all 3 of his behinds today he was slotting for fun prior to the concussion); if he's in our bottom 6, we're winning a flag.

I’m a big Cox fan (checked my spelling 3 times there) but sometimes his laconic nature irks me. Definitely needs to improve his intensity. One contest today in particular he should’ve easily killed the ball over the line but gave a small spoil and gave up as he assumed the ball would roll out. The Ds player managed to keep it in and set up a shot. Anyway, love the guy and he’s so important but he really needs to lift his intensity. Especially with a bit more depth in the team.

He’s always looked like this.

People would criticise Mark Waugh for his similarly laconic approach to smashing runs.

You can have guys with intensity also make errors. I’ve come to live with Cox simply being this sort of bloke, don’t actually think it means he’s not trying.

Can be infuriating, but he’s an absolute gun that’s going at about 70% right now.

I love having the real Brayshaw back. Maybe I'm bias, maybe it's purely because I dont put the same microscope on other teams as I do us but I swear he's his own brand of unique. There is absolutely no one who works as hard as he does both ways and has the number of 1%ers he does, well, maybe Merrett, but that's about it. When he's on (like he has been the last month), his impact is absolutely nuts.

I love having the real Brayshaw back. Maybe I'm bias, maybe it's purely because I dont put the same microscope on other teams as I do us but I swear he's his own brand of unique. There is absolutely no one who works as hard as he does both ways and has the number of 1%ers he does, well, maybe Merrett, but that's about it. When he's on (like he has been the last month), his impact is absolutely nuts.

That chase when we were looking a little shaky was superb

If we want it enough we'll win the flag, there's no reason for this team currently to not make a challenge.

It all comes down to how much they want it.
"Wanting it" necessary but not sufficient!
And our boys definitely want it!
We also need to have our best all available for selection in September.
I hope AP is OK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking over the last month has improved a ton compared to early this year. In recent times he's been super damaging with ball in hand.

Last edited:
Sharp hot the ball outer wing, ran,Bounce the ball ,I called immediately, 30 metres later the trill of the whistle.
Gotta be better than that Sharpy. Twice now in two games.
But that is the only negative coming from the boys game.Great win.

I still think we waste too many scoring opportunities.

That was a 7/10 performance at best. If I was JLo I'd be demanding more of a Billy Butcher campaignerness from my forwards.
I agree, but the weather has been a factor. Our finishing really only had Frederick as the major culprit today, and he's usually pretty good. Maybe something with the conditions put him off.

Nah sorry. Freddie's goal-kicking and tackling have been off since his concussion (that was a massive hit), but his speed through the middle and sticky mitts still provide x-factor that scares the shit out of teams on the break. He was huge in transition today, and he impacts a game even if he doesn't get the ball; players can't cheat on him so his effect on space for other players is massive. When he starts kicking straight again he's a genuine game breaker (all 3 of his behinds today he was slotting for fun prior to the concussion); if he's in our bottom 6, we're winning a flag.

Spot on. Freddie makes the ground big to defend. When burst from your one side of the ground to the other he really spreads the opposition. Also crucial linking up and getting the ball out the back.

Freddie can do things that no one else in our team can do. He's a weapon.

I wish I could remain positive with Freddy but in all honesty, if he was playing for another team, you would be “he is a meh” player. Definitely has the ability but this year has been bog average at best. One of our bottom 4
I am exstatic that I support a team where a player of his quality is in the bottom handful.

Getting Cox and Frederick back to full form is a very promising thing for Freo’s season IMO. Just need Moose to be ok…
Moose would have been paranoid as f out there.
He will be right. Just him being hyper aware and over cautious..
Bones are much better at healing than muscles and ligaments.

I think when JL said he doesn't care or look at a players stats he really means it. That's why there is often this discord between the outsiders view of team selection and internally.

A players role can be very different from week to week and they may need to be willing to sacrifice their own game for the betterment of the team if that role calls for it

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees in hell to the tune of 50!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back