Review Dees v the Orcs - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I might not be welcome but as I said on the main board, I dont think either set of fans really have much reason to be upset after that game. In the end it was a coin flip that reflected the match.

Very few clangers, high tempo footy, lot of youngsters performing on both teams.

I think Melbourne 2017 are still slightly better than Hawthorn 2017, but we were slightly better today.

All the best for the season. :thumbsu:
Im pretty upset about our first quarter

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Good:
- Viney
- Frost
- Hogan worked his way into the game
- Hunt is a gun no matter what end of the ground he's playing at
- Goodwin having the balls to change things up at HT. Refreshing to see a coach actually open to trying something new

Bad:
- Our backline all flying for the same ball. Need some to stay down!
- Our backline in general. We made O'Brien look like the best contested marking player in the league
- Not having a ruckman is starting to really hurt us. That would have been the difference in a game like today.
- Unsure why Wagner was rushed back in, didn't show much pre injury and didn't so much today.

Fugly:
- Vince is an absolute moron... His decision making is hopeless. How can someone who has been around for as long as he has have absolutely no idea what to do with the ball especially late in games.
- Bugg is a spud

If we had Stretch/Harmes playing today instead of Bugg/Vince we would have won....
Agree with most but Harmes is a ****ing spud. Wagner obviously rushed in cause milkshakes is a spud. We have may too many spuds and just cause they are in VFL and not playing doesnt make them better. They will come back and remind us how bad they really are. Besides Kent Stretch and Brayshaw the rest are shite. JKH Bugg Vince Tyson Omac shows just how bad our bottom 5 really are

Tyson barely missed a target today, some of you need to wear glasses. His kicking was much better.

We're going to be 3-5 even though we should be 5-3. Admittedly we didn't deserve the chocolates today.

Going to go with the old cliche "Lost at the selection table." In what galaxy does a spud like JKH provide more to the side than Dean Kent. Even Kennedy has a crack and can find the goals. JKH has 0 in 3 games. LOL.

Don't think Hannan is quite up to it either and should be dropped but might be worth persisting with later in the season.

Vince is on his last legs. Can't believe his decision in the final seconds not to feed Salem running past who would have quite possibly found a target.

Was Nathan Jones colour blind early in the game? Every one of his kicks hit a Hawthorn player lace out.

Hawthorn still have some good players, Burgoyne/Hodge/Smith/Roughy/Gunston/Breust all took us to the cleaners today. They haven't lost it. **** Tim O'Brien though.

Hawks had 20 more kicks
We had 100 more handballs

Players to finish with more handball than kicks

Tyson
Jones
Viney
Oliver
Lewis
Petracca
Watts

Players with more kicks
Salem (only by 1)
Hibberd
Vince

Our best midfielders first instinct is to handball it to someone else
This is why we need to bring Kent and Stretch back in ASAP. They are ball carriers and kickers.

When momentum is with us handball is fine. But the modern footy counter attack needs you to kick the ball so that you can get in behind defences and score from the back half.
One of our last plays where we got out and jones handballed to Viney who had two hawks on him and was facing the wrong way pretty much summed our day up. So many handballs to flat-footed players surrounded by the opposition

Another season blown. How does the performance of elite professional footballers vary so much in the one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fugly: I've been sitting outside of my in-laws house drinking cans and I've gone a bit bananas and upset the neighbors.

I should mention I'm in Osaka, Japan.

And I've lost one of my shoes. A ******* shoe!

I think it's on the roof.

Haha dude this post has brightened my day.

There is no way in hell any team should've lost that after three quarter time.

We had the foot on Hawthorns throat and were absolutely smashing them everywhere. We do what we do best and threw it away.

Tyson barely missed a target today, some of you need to wear glasses. His kicking was much better.

We're going to be 3-5 even though we should be 5-3. Admittedly we didn't deserve the chocolates today.

Going to go with the old cliche "Lost at the selection table." In what galaxy does a spud like JKH provide more to the side than Dean Kent. Even Kennedy has a crack and can find the goals. JKH has 0 in 3 games. LOL.

Don't think Hannan is quite up to it either and should be dropped but might be worth persisting with later in the season.

Vince is on his last legs. Can't believe his decision in the final seconds not to feed Salem running past who would have quite possibly found a target.

Was Nathan Jones colour blind early in the game? Every one of his kicks hit a Hawthorn player lace out.

Hawthorn still have some good players, Burgoyne/Hodge/Smith/Roughy/Gunston/Breust all took us to the cleaners today. They haven't lost it. **** Tim O'Brien though.
Think it was in the second or third quarter. My best mate said "jones has managed to hit a Hawks player with every kick so far" as jones kicked...and hit a Hawks defender on the chest

The reality is that we are just an average team with an average coach, even with all our early draft picks. I know i got sucked into the hype but after readjusting my expectations it gets a lot easier.

I have my doubts that we will play finals this year

The Good:
-Frost. What a second half. Love him. Give him 5 years.
-Viney. Really had a great day today.
-Hogan I thought did alright without being dominant. 3 goals given what had just happened to him is a fair effort
-Goodwin's move to send Hunt forward. Bold and it worked, even if the result didn't go our way.
-Lewis and Tyson were solid
-3rd quarter

Bad:
-Oliver plz dear jesus kick the ball once. 4 kicks, 24 handballs. You're a good kick. Back yourself. Don't be Jordie McKenzie. Never be Jordie McKenzie.
-Wagner?
-JKH. I supported you bro. I vouched for you on your own player thread. You burned me man. It's Casey time.

Fugly:
-Vince WTF were you doing at the end? Melking 10 seconds at the end only to chip it short with so little time left. Ughhhh.
-First quarter. Can't just gift teams leads like that
-Oscar McDonald's first half
-The posters that are going to complain about Tyson yet again even though he played in a different role and I thought had a pretty good game

Goodwin coaching for his career in 2018.

I thought Goodwin coached ok, changed it up at half time and got us back in the game by throwing Hunt fwd and Truck in the middle. He has been criticised in the past of not making changes and now he has. A lot of the blame has to go on to the players. The MAC bros were terrible. Bug had little impac as did JKH. Tyson and no Vinca again ordinary. Too many passengers. Need four qtrs of intensity.

I might not be welcome but as I said on the main board, I dont think either set of fans really have much reason to be upset after that game. In the end it was a coin flip that reflected the match.

Very few clangers, high tempo footy, lot of youngsters performing on both teams.

I think Melbourne 2017 are still slightly better than Hawthorn 2017, but we were slightly better today.

All the best for the season. :thumbsu:
I thought we were past the 'old chin up guys' the occasional supporter would post on our board after beating us but apparently were not. What really hurts is were getting them from a team that has was won less games than us & been belted 4 times this season. :'(

I thought Goodwin coached ok, changed it up at half time and got us back in the game by throwing Hunt fwd and Truck in the middle. He has been criticised in the past of not making changes and now he has. A lot of the blame has to go on to the players. The MAC bros were terrible. Bug had little impac as did JKH. Tyson and no Vinca again ordinary. Too many passengers. Need four qtrs of intensity.

If we can't make finals next year he is absolutely gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:

Viney, he had some moments where he tried to do too much but his intensity and the way he hit the ball was how he should have been playing ever week.

Thought Hogan had some really good patches, 3 Goals in what has been a tough week for him.

Hunt up forward was lively, he is fast becoming one of best speedsters in the AFL.

Frost was great today, yes he got out muscles by roughy a few times but his run and carry was great for a big guy. Would love to see him backed in every week to keep doing this to build confidence.

Bad:

Hannan not good enough to play in the 1's had a few good passages but got pushed off the ball, didn't impact the scoreboard and couldn't even take a mark.

JKH, don't even get me started, had a chance to play for his career and is no good. He better start calling some acting coaches because he is finished.

Vince just doesn't have it anymore, his ambition far outweighs his ability these days.

Omac...no words, no idea why he is playing ones.

TMac, I really have no idea what his role is? is he supposed to play on the big guys? or is he supposed to take off up the ground and handball to a team mate under pressure?

I am far from convinced that Goodwin is the right man to lead us to our next flag, about as uninspiring as Neeld when he talks!

Ugly:

Playing 1 decent quarter of football, had the momentum in the 3rd and came out in the 4th looking like we did at the start of the game.

Never managed to hit the front once in the game.

Another year without finals, even a chance to slip into the bottom 4!

The reality is that we are just an average team with an average coach, even with all our early draft picks. I know i got sucked into the hype but after readjusting my expectations it gets a lot easier.

I have my doubts that we will play finals this year

No reason for doubts, we won't now. We simply still don't have the mental fortitude and our backline is the dumbest in the competition.

I thought we were past the 'old chin up guys' the occasional supporter would post on our board after beating us but apparently were not. What really hurts is were getting them from a team that has was won less games than us & been belted 4 times this season. :'(

****, sorry man. I dont usually post on oppo boards at all - let alone after a loss - but reading the main board thread there was a lot of shit canning of Melbourne which I thought was a bit rich given the tightness of the game. It also rankled me because I thought the Hawks played ****ing well.

Didn't mean to wind anyone up. I'll leave you to it.

One of our last plays where we got out and jones handballed to Viney who had two hawks on him and was facing the wrong way pretty much summed our day up. So many handballs to flat-footed players surrounded by the opposition

Oliver is particularly bad for this, but it's clearly an instruction from the coaches. They are more to blame than the players

****, sorry man. I dont usually post on oppo boards at all - let alone after a loss - but reading the main board thread there was a lot of shit canning of Melbourne which I thought was a bit rich given the tightness of the game. It also rankled me because I thought the Hawks played ******* well.

Didn't mean to wind anyone up. I'll leave you to it.

We deserve the shit canning, at the end of the day we have failed to win games where we probably should have.

For what it is worth, I appreciate you dropping dropping by and not rubbing it in :)

The good:

Hunt at either of the ground
Hogan looked good when we kick the ball to his advantage
Frost some of his goal keeper types saves and then offensive run was amazing
Jetta stopping Rioli
Pedo competed again
Viney back to some 2015/2016 form

The bad;
Vince Jones Lewis and Hibbered. All experienced players and were the biggest offenders when it came to turn over kicks.

The ugly;
The hot potatoe handball in the first half, more so th first quarter. Handablling two metres to a team mate is not going to help. This also doesn't alllow for any clean ball movement and then a succession of marks to control the tempo. Playing a frantic handball happy game style doesn't alllow us to control the game either with or without the momentum.

The 3rd quarter we hand balled to space and then kicked to a forward target. We need more of this.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v the Orcs - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back