Delayed telecasts

Remove this Banner Ad

elbarton

All Australian
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just remembered how this was a thing. Including Friday nights, with Better Homes and Gardens taking precedence. Truly the dumbest time to be alive. Does anyone else have thoughts that they would like to share on this matter?

Didn't mind them sometimes, remember getting home after Essendon beat Sydney in Round 20 2011 when Adam Goodes missed after the siren, Channel 10 had a 150 point thrashing of Port Adelaide on delay, got home in time to watch the 5th quarter so I could see them talking about it.

Just remembered how this was a thing. Including Friday nights, with Better Homes and Gardens taking precedence. Truly the dumbest time to be alive. Does anyone else have thoughts that they would like to share on this matter?
It’s all progression through time.

I remember in the 80’s you’d get home on a sat night to watch the replay which would go for 1hr showing highlights of 2 of the 5-6 games on that day.
Suffice to say I didn’t see my team on tv much in the mid to late 80’s.

In this day and age it’d be mental and toward the end it was.

But it was a different time… sport was originally concerned about TV affecting the gate rather than seeing it as the biggest meal ticket. There was no live updates of the game except radio. You didn’t just reach for the phone in your pocket. For a long time only computers were online.

It’s hard to believe that this was still happening not even 10 years ago on free to air.

The Saturday 2:10pm game which was eventually telecast at 3:00pm (with a 3:20pm start by the time the game got underway) was equally as frustrating. And these were the days when Foxtel didn’t show every game live so the only way to watch was on delay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to avoid scores to keep it “live” Old man would find weird and wonderful ways of dropping hints as to who won. Cheers Dad.

My dad would sneak a listen to the radio in the other room but his hearing wasn't great so I'd end up hearing the score and getting annoyed. Good times.

The history of footy on TV is interesting. Brief period of last quarter live 1957-60. VFL panicked that crowds dropped due to TV, so no direct telecast of any footy between 1961 and 1977 GF replay. All we got were replays of 1 quarter! Eventually VFL/AFL wised up to selling TV rights which now keep the game financially afloat.

I remember watching Brisbane Vs Melbourne in 1995 on a delay. (The game where Smith took that mark) Early in the game they briefly cut to a live feed of the last quarter giving away the score. Absolute Joke.

I remeber the days of Sandy Roberts presenting the game they'd show live, and then the delayed game's scores would be at half time, and they'd warn you to look away and play Diesel's Tip of my Tongue while they were showing.

Simpler, inferior times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delayed telecasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back