Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Tarryn Thomas
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen

Free Agent/Trade
Bailey Scott - trade him for anything

Retain
CZ - 5 year deal (but could see him going)
Brayden George - 2 year deal
Will Phillips - 2 year deal
CT - 1 year deal
Charlie Lazzaro - 1 year deal
Cooper Harvey - 1 year deal
Eddie Ford - 2 year deal
Jackson Archer - 1 year
Kal Dawson - 1 year deal
Tyler Sellers - 1 year deal
Finnbar Maley - 2 year deal

So 7 gone
Replace 3 or 4 via draft (picks inside first 3 rounds only)
2-3 trade/free agent targets

Edit: we brought in 2 via MSD

So 5 list spots
3 in the draft (national, no need to participate in rookie draft)
2 trade/free agent targets

Could end up with 1 more if bull goes

Last edited:
Delist (6)
Toby Pink
Hamish Free
Hugh Greenwood
Tarryn Thomas
Liam Shiels
Robert Hansen

Free Agent/Trade
Bailey Scott - trade him for anything

Retain
CZ - 5 year deal (but could see him going)
Brayden George - 2 year deal
Will Phillips - 2 year deal
CT - 1 year deal
Charlie Lazzaro - 1 year deal
Cooper Harvey - 1 year deal
Eddie Ford - 2 year deal
Jackson Archer - 1 year
Karl Dawson - 1 year deal
Tyler Sellers - 1 year deal
Finnbar Maley - 2 year deal

So 7 gone
Replace 3 or 4 via draft (picks inside first 3 rounds only)
2-3 trade/free agent targets
if only 7 are delisted or traded, then we can only bring in 5 players. As we are 2 players over from the MSD

Trade
1. Scott
2 Stephenson
3.Phillips
4. Tucker
5.CCJ
Collectively they have a value of pick 69 at the drafts.

Retire
6.Shiels
7.Greenwood only if he plays VFL, we need him. Otherwise keep him on the list

Delist
8.Nuyon - pay him out if he has a further year.
9.Pink
10. Drury
11. Lazzaro
12. Free
13. Archer
14.Harvey

That's too many of course. So some will no doubt stay and it will be a ' just because' scenario.

That is madness that you could argue all should be gone. How many delistings since 2019.

FMD and FFS

Just a note on the number of 1 year deals being thrown around; they are extremely rare for anyone who isn’t over 30. If you reckon someone is worth a 1 year deal, they’re very likely not worth keeping.

For rookies and depth players it’s pretty normal
By my count we have 5 players on one year deals which are Shiels, Drury, K Dawson, Free and Hansen Jr. so I guess you’re right, but so am I. Shiels over 30 and of the other 4 only K Dawson might be worth another go around. One year deals are just kicking the tin down the road.

By my count we have 5 players on one year deals which are Shiels, Drury, K Dawson, Free and Hansen Jr. so I guess you’re right, but so am I. Shiels over 30 and of the other 4 only K Dawson might be worth another go around. One year deals are just kicking the tin down the road.
Happy to hand out 2 year deals. But there would need to be a trigger for the 2nd year built in. Something like AA or **** off.

If we are delisting someone it that player should be replaced with someone better. At least that should be the goal. Too often we have delisted ordinary footballers only to replace them with even more ordinary footballers. It is killing our progression and it has to change.

This is a good point. We need to pay overs money wise and get 6 x b graders as free agents in to the club.

The pitch isn’t as hard as you think. You go to these players saying we are getting other players like them, to go with our war chest of young talent plus pick 1 this year.

If they are getting more money, longer terms etc and can see a clear role and best 22, they will be part of they will come.

I think Clarko still has some credibility to get these deals done.

There is no point getting in more C (Scott Fisher) or even D grade (Stephens Biggie) players to the club.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd cut as hard as some. Half the delistings this year will be rookies. I'd also try and keep Greenwood and Shiels if they want to stay. If a decent FA or two want to come I'd delist more and maybe payout Biggie.

Out of contract players

Ford – 2 years
Scott – 2 years or trade if he wants to go
George – 1 year, maybe 2
Taylor – 1 year
Harvey – 1 year
Pink – 1 year
Greenwood – Delist, 1 year rookie contract if he wants it
Phillips – Delist, 1 year rookie contract if nobody wants him as a DFA
Archer – Delist, possibly 1 year rookie contract if nobody wants him
Lazzaro – Delist, possibly 1 year rookie contract if nobody wants him

Rookies

Shiels (r) – 1 year rookie contract if he wants it
Maley (r) – 1 year rookie
K Dawson (r) – 1 year rookie
Drury (r) – Delist
Free (r) – Delist
Sellers (r) – Delist
RHJ (r) – Delist

If we are delisting someone it that player should be replaced with someone better. At least that should be the goal. Too often we have delisted ordinary footballers only to replace them with even more ordinary footballers. It is killing our progression and it has to change.
This was my point with my wish to offer short term contracts to guys like Lazzro and Phillips.

If they don’t garner draft capital I think there is some benefit in retaining these guys at least as depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shit forgot about Junior Hansen another one.

16 is the number now and Biggsy Nuyon 7 years in the system and hasn't learnt a thing.

""

Yes and when you have so many duds whether that be via ability or lack of effort to be better.

You cannot keep them all, our VFL side is woeful. Davies is a big body and looks like a footballer. Surely he gets an opportunity with how many duds we have.

Yes and when you have so many duds whether that be via ability or lack of effort to be better.

You cannot keep them all, our VFL side is woeful. Davies is a big body and looks like a footballer. Surely he gets an opportunity with how many duds we have.
If the afl really want to help us at the end of the season - they should let us prelist 2-3 of the best state league players

Out of contract players

Ford – 2 years
Scott – 3 years
George – 2 years
Taylor - delist
Harvey – 1 year
Pink – 1 year
Greenwood – Delist
Phillips – trade or 1 year
Archer – 1 year rookie contract
Lazzaro – Delist,

Rookies

Shiels (r) – retire
Maley (r) – 1 year rookie
K Dawson (r) – 1 year rookie
Drury (r) – 1 year
Free (r) – Delist
Sellers (r) – Delist
RHJ (r) – Delist

The irony is for all the talk about our backline I personally think with Logue back it's got more than enough to work with. We have forward issues (desparately need a tall leading player with good hands and to punt a mid sized player for fast / pressure / goalkicking), but IMO even what we have now would be working ok if we could actually generate something close to parity in inside 50's. We aren't giving them much to work with, although granted, forwards need to provide the options as well.

Our problem is not the defence or forward 50. What happens between the arcs is what kills us. Be it pressure, turnovers, transition, running patterns, spread from stoppage, etc. The midfielders and wingers are not working hard enough to set the game up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The acurate one my concern is that you've been convincing me every year since 2016 that we now know what we're doing and things have changed.

But every year since 2016 reality tells me we've mostly been delisting blokes and replacing them with even worse players each year.

So we can axe whoever we like but unless we're allowed to replace them only with top 3 picks (and even that's not guaranteed- refer TAO's favourite 2020 draftee) we're more likely to bring in equal or even worse replacements.

~We can delist whoever we like but until we show some sort of evidence we can build a balanced capable list we'll just be pissing into the wind.

The acurate one my concern is that you've been convincing me every year since 2016 that we now know what we're doing and things have changed.

But every year since 2016 reality tells me we've mostly been delisting blokes and replacing them with even worse players each year.

So we can axe whoever we like but unless we're allowed to replace them only with top 3 picks (and even that's not guaranteed- refer TAO's favourite 2020 draftee) we're more likely to bring in equal or even worse replacements.

~We can delist whoever we like but until we show some sort of evidence we can build a balanced capable list we'll just be pissing into the wind.

All valid points, which would you prefer, being lost at sea and knowing you'll perish inside a week or spend that time working on your tan knowing you'll be rescued :p
It is problematic and yes it seems we have a penchant for spotting duds a mile away.

Was speaking to old mate and Carey back in the day would walk up to a footballer not training to standard whether dropping marks, spraying the ball and tell him it might be best if that jumped the fence and joined the crowd.
We'd have about 8 blokes on the track today. Yikes
We can't keep them to save face, move on and try again. I see no other choice. Unfortunately.

Also it will be interesting to see what becomes of Rawling. Surely he's gone.

Drury ain't going anywhere, big teachers pet and is the third wheel to Sheez-Wardlaw.

Also his excellent performance down at the cattery earns him at least 1 year.
Teachers pet is a bit of an insult but he is very coach-able, give him a run like Archer got and see how he develops. his attitude along with sheez, wardlaw, colby and some of the other young leaders tips the workrate in the positive direction.

right now put papley and hawkins in the side and we are a 5 goal better team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisting mega thread 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back