Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 3 from the senior list? And Simpkin elevated.. Do we have any space on our list to draft more than 2 players? hope so.... May be a 2nd round of cuts later?

Only 3 from the senior list? And Simpkin elevated.. Do we have any space on our list to draft more than 2 players? hope so.... May be a 2nd round of cuts later?
I think it's the right move, take two from this draft and load up on the rookies. It's been pretty well pillaged already, and the Gold Coast Gays have only just begun. They have eleven picks before our third.

Besides, who would you cut? And would you rather use pick 59 (and that's if no teams use compensation picks) or elevate Gaertner?

Pattison probably the only real surprise, thought they recruited him with a long term view to be a possible replacement for Gardiner and King or at the very least a back up.

Hopefully that means Gardiner is playing on, we could be a bit light on for ruck stocks next year otherwise.

Tough on McGrath - i thought he'd get a bit more time

Goes without saying that a bloke who is 208cm takes a while to fill out, not just a few years

Pattison probably the only real surprise, thought they recruited him with a long term view to be a possible replacement for Gardiner and King or at the very least a back up.

Hopefully that means Gardiner is playing on, we could be a bit light on for ruck stocks next year otherwise.

I suppose that Pattison is a very unfortunate victim of the sub rule introduced for next season. With just three on the bench, most teams will probably opt for just one 'real' ruckman (if at all) and keep the three spots for midfield rotations - which will obviously mean that we need less backup ruckmen.

King had previously been announced as retired. Allen's contract has, as far as I know, now expired so he should also be delisted (after retiring last year and being re-drafted for list management reasons) and, as much as I like him and still cannot understand what he has ever done wrong, I expect Leigh Fisher to leave us, too.

McGrath may also be a victim of the sub rule. In addition to Simpkin being elevated, I think I remember that Walsh has also already been elevated. I am a bit surprised to see Hutchings be delisted after just one year (especially given Allen and Leigh Fisher being on the list) - maybe something else we don't know about (homesick) ?

B2010 / Squizzy - can you confirm whether Gaertner has been signed for another year (I heard that he was, for whatever reason as I thought he had a very good year, in doubt) ? I suppose that the mobile and flexible ruckman role required as a result of the sub rule may be an opportunity for him ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm.

Of the players we drafted in last year, Pattison, Smith, Fisher, Allen and Hutchings are all gone, with only Winmar, Johnson, Walsh and Archer remaining.

Probably not the greatest drafting year for us, but who knows what the remaining 4 have in store.

In fairness, we had no choice with Allen, Smith was always a risk and Patto was always a back up plan.

Hopefully we have a great 2010 in regards to drafting.

Hmmmm.

Of the players we drafted in last year, Pattison, Smith, Fisher, Allen and Hutchings are all gone, with only Winmar, Johnson, Walsh and Archer remaining.

Probably not the greatest drafting year for us, but who knows what the remaining 4 have in store.

In fairness, we had no choice with Allen, Smith was always a risk and Patto was always a back up plan.

Hopefully we have a great 2010 in regards to drafting.

Its needed... We haven't picked up any 'gems' for a few years....

Has Paul Cahill been delisted earlier? If not, would he have been close to it? I see in your Rd. 1 2011 team thread, no one has him listed as an emergency or even next in line from the emergencies and it will be his 3rd year I think? Will he push for senior games next year?

a.) the post may well have been edited following StFly's post

b.) you're not going to make a lot of friends if your 16th BF post is to attack one of more the respected posters

:rolleyes:

I quite liked the added slander at the end, help the OP out with clarity and get accused by a newbie at being dyslexic, there's a lesson to be learned in that I'm sure of it. :D

I'm non fussed though, bloke wants to be a blatant tool more power to him. :thumbsu:

Anywho, I'm a bit sussed on McGraths delisting since it doesn't make much sense to me from a list perspective since we've got;

King - retired
Gardi - on the way out
McEvoy - next cab off
Patto - delisted
Stanley - still very raw for rucking
McGrath - delisted

That's a hell of a lot of pressure on Macca and Stanley to perform and not get injured at all unless Kosi and possibly Blake become more than pinch hitting ruckmen. I suppose Bigger Mac being delisted rings 2 bells for me;

1) NSW Scholarship Player (rookied from the program), 20 years old with GWS entering the comp in the next couple seasons. Go home factor might have been evident?

2) Perhaps he was let go with Patto in the hopes to then pick up "better prospects" since we've had Haretuku and Van Rheenan (sp?) who either haven't come on or have had their rookie stay riddled with injuries that McGrath might also fall in. Can't exactly have a rookie ruckman whose body is failing him already.

I dunno, him and Hutchings doesn't sit right for me.

I have mulled this over in my mind so many times but i honestly can't think of why on earth we would delist Pattison, McGrath and Hutchings...

Hutchings is just bizarre... Had a year to run on his rookie contract, so it wouldn't have done the club any harm to hold onto him for another year. Perhaps he was homesick?
Unless Patto was on a lot of $$$, there would've been no harm in keeping him just as a backup, in case Macca and Stanley/Kosi/Blake went down with injury, but nope...
McGrath is only 20 bloody years old - the bloke is 208cm! The club SURELY can't expect a 208cm beanstalk to fill out and be pushing for a senior spot after 2 years on a rookie list (that being said, i haven't seen him play too much)

The only possible solution i can think of is that in light of the new "substitution" rule, the club would be apprehensive towards playing 2 dedicated ruckmen. Maybe Gardi and Macca will alternate based on form, and Kosi and possibly Blake will be relied on to pinch hit more

As much as i love Stanley, and as bright as i think his future is, i still think he is not bulky enough to effectively contest the centre bounces against 27+ year old seasoned ruckmen, or kick a bag of goals against an experienced full back. He will get as many games next year as he did this year in my opinion, so i can't see him lining up as our second ruck. I'd love for the big fella to prove me wrong though

Has anyone considered Kosi in the ruck calculations ?
He performed admirably in the second half of the drawn GF.
It may be that we also have our eye on a VFL ruckman.

a.) the post may well have been edited following StFly's post

b.) you're not going to make a lot of friends if your 16th BF post is to attack one of more the respected posters

:rolleyes:

Maybe he should even spell "Dyslexic" correctly...when talking about someone being dyslexic.

I think there is a trade of between the number of Veterans and the number of Rookies. We will be wanting to use the Veteran list more this year.

Ruck options are: Gardiner, McEvoy, Koschitski, Stanley, Gaertner, Blake*
*Proven to be a better shortarse ruckman than Pattison.

I'm a bit pissed that we took on McGrath in the first place if we weren't going to go the distance.

Artical on/by Paul Cahill from earlier in the year. He managed to kick the odd bag of goals, probably showed enough to keep on the list of a team that doesn't have great depth in the forward line.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10447-0-0&sID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12284667&sectionID=56266

Quite liked him when he was playing for East Perth.

What's he been doing in the VFL?

Missed a month of footy in the middle of the year through injury.

Did not get named in the best players in any of his 12 senior VFL games.

I thought he was pretty hard at it given his size and he normally got 15-20 possessions and laid a few good tackles.

But maybe didn't have the legspeed (or a strong attribute other than courage like playing "tall" for his size or being a deadeye kick) that would enable him to break into the AFL team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back