Remove this Banner Ad

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
At a Hawks game at Waverley in 1995, after a centre bounce the ball got to Darren Jarman
who then produced the closest thing to a bullet I have seen at the footy. He kicked the ball
about 55m, it never got more than 2-2.5m off the ground and thudded into Minton-Connell's
chest (Dunstall was out injured) with an audible thwack. The crowd was awestruck. It was
hands down the most sensational kick I've ever seen.

Does anyone else have similar moments from games they have attended?

Only one at Waverly Park I can sort of foggily remember is Spider Burton's "neglected" goal.

The Walker mark last year was gobsmackingly great (TV doesn't do it any justice at all).

I had no words to express the end of the last Hawthorn/Geelong game.

Aaron Fiora took a huge speccy right in front of me in the second year of owning my boundary line seats, that was crazy.

When Riewoldt toe-poked through the winner against the Dogs I couldn't believe it because it went against the at the time notion of mine that St Kilda would always fall at the penultimate hurdle after bad losses against Port Sydney and Hawthorn in the previous years. I couldn't believe it from then until the siren and even then it was a bit iffy. It was only confirmed when I saw on the big screen: 2009 AFL Grand Final: St Kilda vs Winner PF2

Fletcher's torp against St Kilda in 2007. It just kept going and going...

Looking at the Geelong vs Freo score on the weekend at quarter time, talk about a double take.

It was a really bad weekend for the Scott boys courtesy of WA teams: at the midpoint of the second
quarter in their respective games, Chris's side trailed by 7 goals to nil, and Brad's trailed by 9 goals
to nil.

It was a really bad weekend for the Scott boys courtesy of WA teams: at the midpoint of the second
quarter in their respective games, Chris's side trailed by 7 goals to nil, and Brad's trailed by 9 goals
to nil.

After Chris Scotts comments weeks earlier about WA, nothing could really make me happier.

Luke Shuey taking the goal umpires flag and pretending to wave it or whatever he was doing, halfway through a final. Very strange, and perhaps a little arrogant.
From what I saw he accidentally knocked it off the post when he ran around it. It just so happened that we kicked a goal at that exact moment and he thought the umpire would have needed it..

At 3.54 is one of the best marks I have seen. It was on Almost Footy Legends on the Footy show back in 2004.

Hawks fans might even be interested in 3.31-3.53, a future draft prospect named Jordan Lewis ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last quarter of tight game at Waverley in 1997 or 1998, some random Hawthorn player had shot at goal from 65m. Nobody was in the goal square. The ball was bouncing low and fast for what appeared to be a certain goal. The goal umpire "assumed the position", straddling the goal line, one foot either side, knees bent, chest out, arms out straight by his side, making sure that if an invisble fairy touched the ball on the line, he would be in perfect position to notice.

The problem was he took his eye off the ball. Too busy assuming the position. The ball veered slightly off it's straight course and bounced into his right knee, inside the field of play. He stood up straight and looked forlornly towards the nearest field umpire. They conferred. Hawthorn players rushed in, screaming WTF! It's a goal! That was going through!

The goal umpire signalled touched, one behind

I screamed "But YOU touched it, you douchebag!!"

Fuming, I sat down and thought, "Did that really happen?"
I hadn't seen it before and i haven't seen it since.

Sirengate. The last few minutes of that match were very strange, even before the siren went.
Also, that umpire taking a mark in a freo game.

Carlton v Richmond back whenever it was. I was sitting in the Southern Stand when the Ponsford Stand scoreboard caught fire, the Ponsford Stand evacuated onto the turf and the game was delayed by an hour.

Definitely takes it for me, and I don't think anything will beat it.

Saw a player get knocked out by the ball in a WAFL grand final, sometime in the late 90's.

I wasn't at the game, but Andrew Embley kicking a goal from a set shot yesterday would have to be up there for WTF moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Did that really happen?" moments at the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back