Disneyland!

Remove this Banner Ad

Never never know, if you never never ...

I was at first cynical but my inaugural visit to Disneyland has completely won me over. I always thought Mickey Mouse was quite a pathetic character with no hero, humour or even that much affection about him, but after watching 'Fantasmic', I'm sold ... he's MY hero!

We spent two days at Disneyland, staying at nearby HoJo Hotel for the night betwixt. $47US to enter for a day (approx 8am to midnight), and all rides free, souvenirs/food of course cost but not too extravagant.

Discovered a donutty thing called a 'churro' which was a brilliant idea, basically just the crunchy part of a cinnamon donut in a long strip! Can be dunked in caramel or choc fudge id required!

Was completely sold on the 'Jungle Cruise' ride which is a little different to most as just a quiet boat ride through a 'jungle', with a guide who offers the most shameful puns known to humankind ... right up my alley.

Other rides are fun though not particularly life-threatening (yes, Big Thunder Mountain Railway was down for maintenance).

The best thing about Disneyland was the design of everything, from Main Streets old-style shops to the ride queues which are walks through themed areas (such as Indiana jones ride where its like wandering through caverns just to get to the start of the ride).

Nearby california Adventure Park was also good, but didn't have the Disney flavour so it lacked a bit in comparison.

I recommend Disneyland. If you're totally cynical about it, just do one day, but be warned, we were there two days and only saw a third of what it had to offer!

Just this weekend gone we went to Chaddy to check out the Disney Store, such is our sudden obsession, only to find that Disney Stores have TOTALLY pulled out of Australia! The horror!

I'd go back in a flash, and we're already determined that next time we visit Disneyland, we're gonna spend an entire week there.

I wasn't sold on Disneyland at all. After half a day I was done. IMO Dreamworld and Movieworld on the Gold Coast are just as good and less crowded. Blow waiting over an hour for a two minute ride.:eek:

Originally posted by DonFan
I wasn't sold on Disneyland at all. After half a day I was done. IMO Dreamworld and Movieworld on the Gold Coast are just as good and less crowded. Blow waiting over an hour for a two minute ride.:eek:

When did you go? There's definitely no waiting over an hour at Disneyland. Waiting 20 minutes might be possible, but definitely not an hour.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Discovered a donutty thing called a 'churro' which was a brilliant idea, basically just the crunchy part of a cinnamon donut in a long strip! Can be dunked in caramel or choc fudge id required!

Oh good Lord, I'd go back just for a churro. They used to sell them at Vic Market before it became the Fubu capital of the universe.

Comparing Dreamworld/Movieworld to Disneyland is like comparing the old Moorabbin ground to the MCG. There just not in the same class.

Disneyland is awesome, I've been there on 6 different trips. The rides are far superior and the rides on the Gold Coast are over in the blink of an eye.

Plus with the Fast Pass system, there is not a lot of waiting around any more.

I too discovered the churro at Disneyland. Apparently a churro is a mexican donut. I've also had them at Vic market.

Pirates of the Carribean, It's a Small World, the Haunted House, Space Mountain - I loved all of them.

A couple of other theme parks I visited in the States which I thought rocked: Six Flags Magic Mountain (I was salivating at the mouth coming towards it when I saw how big the rides were there), Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios.

Originally posted by Rusty Brookes
Pirates of the Carribean, It's a Small World, the Haunted House, Space Mountain - I loved all of them.

A couple of other theme parks I visited in the States which I thought rocked: Six Flags Magic Mountain (I was salivating at the mouth coming towards it when I saw how big the rides were there), Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios.

Thanks for typing exactly what I was gonna say.

Originally posted by Zeke
I'm off to Disneyworld in Orlando in a couple of weeks... Anyone know what the difference is beteen Disneyland and Disneyworld?

I haven't been to Disneyworld but from what I hear, its much bigger and better than Disneyland.

They're spelt differently ... :) ... but aside from that, I think the Orlando one is pretty well based on the Anaheim one and probably therefore of similar quality. The Orlando one was later, though.

Oh, I think the drop in Pirates of Caribbean is just one drop in Orlando, while it is two, half-sized drops, in Anaheim.

Umm I just saw delica's post so I'll stand corrected, Orlando's might be better! (I wouldn't have believed it possible!)

Zeke since I got back from LA I looked up heaps of stuff about Disneyland, and there's heaps of stuff that is REALLY easy to miss while there ... I'm guessing that its similar in the Orlando version. Things like the forced perspective of the upper storeys of main street, and the smell emitters at the bottom of the shops, and the extra tidbits all over. If I'd known about it all beforehand, I would have kept a bit of a lookout for it. I'm now a wannabe Disneyland tragic. If you want more info about where to read up on the 'fun facts', just look under www.hiddenmickeys.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you totally Mobbers. When I went there I was 18 and thought I was too old for that kind of stuff.

Spent 3 days there and it was bloody awesome, better than I ever expected. Indiana Jones was my favourite, went on it 9 times! We got a magic morning pass that lets you in an hour early, definitely worth it.

But even on the busy day the queues were only 20 minutes max, and they are so well designed you don't even notice.

Haunted Castle, Pirates of the Caribbean, the one on the log with the huge fall at the end, the Matterhorn, the cars - great memories.

Even the way Main Street goes from one store to another seamlessly is brilliant.

I think the Orlando one is pretty well based on the Anaheim one and probably therefore of similar quality. The Orlando one was later, though.

It was my understanding that DisneyWorld in Orlando was the original theme park - and that DisneyLand was the later version - could be wrong, but that's what I have been led to believe.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
Haunted Castle, Pirates of the Caribbean, the one on the log with the huge fall at the end, the Matterhorn, the cars - great memories.

Yep, Haunted Mansion was done up in a Nightmore Before Christmas theme which was great, the log one was Splash Mountain (NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW). Unfortunately the Matterhorn DID have an hour-long wait (doesn't come under the fastpass rules for some stupid reason), and I never got on the cars (Autopia), too much other stuff to see.

I even loved the cheesey Tiki Room!

Originally posted by de_LICA_ish18
Comparing Dreamworld/Movieworld to Disneyland is like comparing the old Moorabbin ground to the MCG. There just not in the same class.

Disneyland is awesome, I've been there on 6 different trips. The rides are far superior and the rides on the Gold Coast are over in the blink of an eye.

Plus with the Fast Pass system, there is not a lot of waiting around any more.

Spinning around in a teacup was the biggest thrill of my life.:rolleyes:

Lethal Weapon at Movieworld is far better than anything Disneyland had to offer.

I thought Knott's Berry Farm was the best in LA.

It was my understanding that DisneyWorld in Orlando was the original theme park - and that DisneyLand was the later version - could be wrong, but that's what I have been led to believe.

No, Disneyland Anaheim was definitely the original. Disneyworld is bigger, but it includes things like a golf course.

Disneyworld is bigger than Disneyland, because there is more to it.

I'm not sure if the actual Disney part of Disneyworld is any bigger than Disneyland, but it has other parks that Disneyland doesn't - The Epcot Centre and MGM studios (which is Disney's version of Universal/MovieWorld etc).

I'm off to Disneyworld in Orlando in a couple of weeks... Anyone know what the difference is beteen Disneyland and Disneyworld?
Dworld is miles bigger, with heaps more stuff nearby ie other parks, Orlando must have 30 theme parks.

What I would recommend whilst you're there is look up the nasa website and if there's a shuttle launch go see it, even a smaller rocket liftoff go see it, if you are lucky enough to see the shuttle it's an amazing experience. Been lucky enough to see 2 shuttle takeoffs, one during the day and one a night launch which was probably the most amazing man made thing i've seen in my life.

Also, try to go further south and do the drive from miami to key west, over 7 mile bridge, and stay a night or two in key west. A beer at sloppy joes is a must, hemmingway's hangout.

And remember the bahamas are just a short flight away....

What is the fast pass?

I remember waiting almost an hour and a half for the Tower of Terror at Dreamworld! Lucky it was worth it lol

Maybe I'm wrong!

Spinning around in a teacup was the biggest thrill of my life.:rolleyes:

Lethal Weapon at Movieworld is far better than anything Disneyland had to offer.

I thought Knott's Berry Farm was the best in LA.

Ahh I get yer, you're speaking of basic ride thrills, sort of like how the Zipper is better than the carousel! Yeah I can see that appealing to some. Not me though, I'm into it for the whole experience. Next door to Disneyland, the new California Adventure Park might be more to your liking nowadays, no atmosphere, but a pretty damn decent couple of rides here and there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Disneyland!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back