Docklands stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was Colonial was its first name then went to Telstra then i think wasnt it called Wizard for 1 year then Etihad and now Marvel.
I feel Marvel have the naming right only till the end of this year.
For 2024 not sure whats next.
i would like to named AFL stadium something more offical then having a corp sponsership for the ground.
Or simply Docklands stadium.
Was wanting to know every teams first match at the stadium and who played there the most and least.
Also most successfull to least successfull.
Like to see the stadium actually play a finals match there like an elimination or semi final there some year.
I think when it comes to the pointy end of the season it get forgotten.
I would like it to have an open roof if theres no rain on the radar at all and like less then a 10% chance of a shower.
Like to see more open then closed.
Like to see more like twilight games there and sat and sunday afternoon games there as well.
Still feel the place is another 12 months to be fully completed they still yet to finish one end of the ground i think it was bourke street end.
Is the Coventry end bourke street and Lockett end is the LaTrobe street end.
Collingwood cheer squad is at the bourke street end.
I really liked the place say 20 years ago and like when it was first built.
I know the first team to train on the surface there was the dogs the day before the first ever match between Essendon and Power in a pre season match comp.
i think it opened in 2000 in Feb.

Was Colonial was its first name then went to Telstra then i think wasnt it called Wizard for 1 year then Etihad and now Marvel.
i would like to named AFL stadium something more offical then having a corp sponsership for the ground.
Was wanting to know every teams first match at the stadium and who played there the most and least.
Like to see the stadium actually play a finals match there like an elimination or semi final there some year.
I would like it to have an open roof if theres no rain on the radar at all and like less then a 10% chance of a shower.
Like to see more like twilight games there and sat and sunday afternoon games there as well.
Still feel the place is another 12 months to be fully completed they still yet to finish one end of the ground i think it was bourke street end.
I know the first team to train on the surface there was the dogs the day before the first ever match between Essendon and Power in a pre season match comp.
but they had to call it Telstra Dome as there was already a Telstra Stadium in Sydney. The only time it hasn't been referred to as "stadium"

Naming rights

Initially the rights to Docklands were sold to Colonial Mutual for 32.5 million over ten years. When Colonial was bought by the Commonwealth Bank, those rights were sold to Telstra for $50 million. Colonial Stadium became Telstra Dome.

In 2009, Etihad Airways paid $25 million for the naming rights to the stadium, triggering legal action by the AFL as this conflicted with its major sponsor, Qantas. The AFL said that its contract gave it veto rights over naming rights sponsorship, and threatened to not allow its various arms to refer to the stadium as Etihad. That legal action is detailed here. The situation was settled out of court, and the deal was renewed in 2012 until 2019.

The Age reported in September 2015 that the Stadiums operators were considering leasing various sections of the stadium out for marketing purposes. In an Australian first, Etihad has introduced an ambitious strategy to lease to corporate Australia the dome’s internal and external real estate for mega-size marketing installations, giving carte blanche to full ground-to-ceiling branding of the venue’s internal seats and walkways.

In 2017, it was reported that Etihad Stadium naming rights were worth between $5 and $8 million dollars per year, making it likely the most expensive naming rights for a stadium in Australia..

In May, 2018, Melbourne Stadiums Limited and Disney announced an 8 year deal that would commence on September 1st, resulting in the ground being called Marvel Stadium. No value for the deal has been announced.

A lot to unpack here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naming rights

In 2009, Etihad Airways paid $25 million for the naming rights to the stadium, triggering legal action by the AFL as this conflicted with its major sponsor, Qantas. The AFL said that its contract gave it veto rights over naming rights sponsorship, and threatened to not allow its various arms to refer to the stadium as Etihad. That legal action is detailed here. The situation was settled out of court, and the deal was renewed in 2012 until 2019.
I could be wrong, but I think due to that shit show with QANTAS, the AFL dropped them and made Virgin their airline partner instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Docklands stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back