Does anyone else think Channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

summers12

Senior List
May 22, 2012
Wasleys
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone else think that Channel 7 and the AFL have silenced the commentary team from analysing umpires performances. Unlike foxtel there seems to be no replays on contentious decisions rather just the odd statement on a player should receive a free kick.

There seems to be this emphasis placed on everything positive in the game to the point of nauseam. Also every team seems to be in the match even if they are 5 goals down with 3 minutes to go.

Damm Channel 7 coverage sucks balls at the moment. to have greats of the game looking like AFL arse lickers surely must get on peoples nerves.

Does anyone else think that Channel 7 and the AFL have silenced the commentary team from analysing umpires performances. Unlike foxtel there seems to be no replays on contentious decisions rather just the odd statement on a player should receive a free kick.

There seems to be this emphasis placed on everything positive in the game to the point of nauseam. Also every team seems to be in the match even if they are 5 goals down with 3 minutes to go.

Without a doubt.
Damm Channel 7 coverage sucks balls at the moment. to have greats of the game looking like AFL arse lickers surely must get on peoples nerves.

Honestly what bothers me more about Channel 7 coverage is the replays and views of the coach/crowd when play is still happening.
I don't care that the coach is swearing after a free kick, show me the play. I don't want it to cut back in and have the ball in a completely different spot on the ground.

The comments on umpiring seem to have been toned down, but I don't mind that. They still show replays of free kicks but are leaving it more up to the viewer to decide which way they should be called. I'd rather them stay relatively quiet than blow up because they personally disagree with a decision.

Honestly what bothers me more about Channel 7 coverage is the replays and views of the coach/crowd when play is still happening.
I don't care that the coach is swearing after a free kick, show me the play. I don't want it to cut back in and have the ball in a completely different spot on the ground.

The comments on umpiring seem to have been toned down, but I don't mind that. They still show replays of free kicks but are leaving it more up to the viewer to decide which way they should be called. I'd rather them stay relatively quiet than blow up because they personally disagree with a decision.

Actually if the experts not the commentators were allowed open slather on the umpires I think it would help as it provides in game feedback. They comment on the radio about it all the time in games and call a spade a spade. If it was good honest feedback the umpires have no choice but to improve. With complete silence on FTA by everyone I beleive the umpires can simply hide behind the shield and keep the feeling of superiority.

I am with you going to the coaches box is tedious and tells you nothing. just watch the fricken game.

I think the commentators, like the fans, are just speechless because the rules are farcical at the moment and nobody knows what should and shouldn't be a free kick anymore.

It's sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have noticed the lack of criticism but thought it was just that the commentators are as bemused as the rest us re the HTB rule. It is not surprising that we all assume that they are afraid of City Hall.

we see more on tv than the umpires on ground. not the other way around. being closer does not beat 5 different cameras zoomed in + slow motion replay over and over with 3 commentators discussing it before coming to a conclusion whether it was a right free or not.

bashing umpires only creates issues because alot of people love to bash umpuires no matter what. whether they are right or wrong. if we do go down that path, i am not sure what it will achieve. trial by media achieves nothing. otherwise why not have coaches criticising their own players in media whenever they make a mistake. why not? it achieves nothing.

we see more on tv than the umpires on ground. not the other way around. being closer does not beat 5 different cameras zoomed in + slow motion replay over and over with 3 commentators discussing it before coming to a conclusion whether it was a right free or not.

bashing umpires only creates issues because alot of people love to bash umpuires no matter what. whether they are right or wrong. if we do go down that path, i am not sure what it will achieve. trial by media achieves nothing. otherwise why not have coaches criticising their own players in media whenever they make a mistake. why not? it achieves nothing.

TV talking heads are paid to analyse, so it would be nice to see some analysis. Interestingly, watching OTC last night, the panel looked at the Joseph HTB about 1000 times and didn't observe that Zach Tuohy was actually holding the ball in the tackle, ie not trying to get it out. I reckon that is why HTB was paid even though the guy who dove on the ball, Joseph, made every attempt to get it out. If the paid experts had pointed this out, there would be no basis to criticise the decision.

I have noticed the lack of criticism but thought it was just that the commentators are as bemused as the rest us re the HTB rule. It is not surprising that we all assume that they are afraid of City Hall.
Was actually thinking about the thread statement the other day but this is it I reckon. They've, just like us, got no idea what is going on!

Good post, and absolutely correct.

But remember, you can't have a dictatorship without propaganda and stopping free speech. And when it comes to umpiring, that's exactly what we've got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else think Channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back