Does anyone else....

Remove this Banner Ad

ACV

Rookie
Jan 15, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
get the feeling that things have changed down at Richmond in the past few years?

By that i mean that the board and (more importantly?) the supporters have begun to put more faith in the coach and not the players. In years gone by the press would have been full of people calling for Frawley's head. And probably a lot of supporters also.

But this time round everyone seems to be fed up with the playing group (and rightly so in my opinion) rather than the coach.

Personally i'd hate to see us lose Frawley at this point in time, i think he's a good coach and would do quite a good job with a better playing list.

Does anyone else think that there has been a chamge in mindset or is it just a matter of time before were all calling for his head?

Richmond needs to make changes to rebuild itself into a strong side. Changes means that the head coach must be a change agent and lead the club in making the right decisions on which players are to leave and which we new players we take on.

Frawley has yet to prove or disprove that he can fulfil this role. We should give him every support for him to show us he can do a good job. Question is how long do we give him?

For the rest of the year changes need to be made. Seeing we cant get to the 8 this year i think its time for lots of changing. Postions and newer players with bigger roles

I think that is quite a good observation ACV.

The threat to Danny's future is much less than what is perceived for some of the players. Clinton Casey said as much last week.

I think (the collective) we now understand that our tendency to chop the coach is one of the prime factors in why we have been so unsuccessful over the past 2 decades. I think we are all more willing to look at the whole picture and judge objectively rather than a simple knee jerk action.

(I still can't help but feel a little nervous for Spud though!)

I hope there has been a change in the mindset.

I hope his position isn't under threat...the tigers younger brigade (all selected since Spud first joined ) are good and will play for him (it's tough playing for a coach you don't give a **** about)
You have to love your coach.

He cocked up( IMHO) with not enough talls in the mix this year...had injuries not come along we'd have coped...but they did come along.

The team that played on Friday ; we should persevere with them.
Some tough calls need to be made on some other players though.

Trading Bowdo and Tivvers ? Both woeful shots on goal.
Retiring Knights , Rogers and Dunc ? Ouch !!!

BTW : Richo shouldn't be judged harshly for reacting on-ground. Every other full forward gets precision passes. Why can't he ? I don't blame him one bit.

Originally posted by Rodan#18.

BTW : Richo shouldn't be judged harshly for reacting on-ground. Every other full forward gets precision passes. Why can't he ? I don't blame him one bit.

But Rodan, on hundreds of occasions I've witnessed Richo receive pinpoint passes from Matthew Knights and quite a number of times Richo would do something stupid (like play on and try and snap a goal when he could have taken a set shot) or just plain miss a sitter. NEVER did I see Knighter swear and flail his arms around in reaction.

Knights' confidence was pretty low at the time he kicked that ball, sure it was an average kicke, but the last thing he needed to see was Richo's reaction.

That's a very good point...

but i'm still not leaving the richo fan squad...he'd have a Brownlow(or something else good) if he pLAYED at Ess/Bris/Port...

fact remains Richo should take more set shots.

I think (the collective) we now understand that our tendency to chop the coach is one of the prime factors in why we have been so unsuccessful over the past 2 decades. I think we are all more willing to look at the whole picture and judge objectively rather than a simple knee jerk action.

If we have to change the coach because the club is not making the "necessary progress", then we change the coach.

The problem has been that we have too often selected the WRONG coach. Of the recent era, Walls and the Giesch spring to mind. More care needs to be taken in selecting the right person and than hopefully sticking with it. This can be a problem if there is a dearth of coaching talent available in that year.

If the coach is not making the right decisions or showing the required leadership, be on the field, off the field (read the media) or with playing personnel, then he should go.

Danny should get our full support. But as I said in the above post, he needs to demonstrate that he can make the right calls on the playing personnel to set us up for the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back