Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Poulter’s handball wasn’t great. It would have been better if he continued on his natural left ark and cleared the area. As a very one-sided player, he may as well use it in that scenario.

But Gardy’s inability to dispose of the ball quick enough is an ongoing problem. I’ve never seen a player take so long to get ball to boot when under pressure. We invite opposition pressure when we include him in possession chains deep in defence.

Imagine how easy this side is to coach against, absolutely laughable.

Please for the love of god don’t make finals, Bevo doesn’t deserve another ‘success’ on his record for this season.

Pls **** off, driving this club into the ground. How obvious is it FFS, yet we keep making the same mistakes.

This football team is deadset cooked

To take an optimist's view - how many of our losses have been comprehensive smashings this year? Round 1 and 2 we looked an entirely different side, but otherwise we've been in a winning position in basically every other game. That tells me that what we do right is more than good enough for us to beat any side. It's what we do when things are going wrong that becomes the problem. We don't defend the corridor, we don't adjust to our opponent's changes in approach, we don't appropriately defend a lead and instead stick with a high risk, low reward structure. It's painful seeing how much of a "nearly" side we are this year. Looking through our losses after the first two rounds:

Round 5 (Port): Up by over a goal in the 4th quarter, lose by 15
Round 11 (GC): Up by over 3 goals in the first, lose by 7
Round 12 (Cats): Up or even for most of the game, lose by 22
Round 13 (Port): Breaking even for majority of the game, lose by 22
Round 17 (Pies): Convincingly winning early, throw hard in the 3rd, lose by 12
Round 18 (Swans): Up by over 3 goals early, throw it in the 3rd, change lead multiple times and eventually lose by 2
Round 20 (GWS): Up by 30+ in the 3rd quarter, lose by 5

All these losses since round 2 we've either hard throw a good lead, or we've been right in it until we roll over at the end. I'm confident we can beat anyone, but I am also confident that we can throw any game no matter how big a lead we hold.
Your post raises a question that has been asked a few times in the last 24 hours...

How good are our fitness levels? Not saying that's the sole cause at all, but throwing leads late in the game suggests it could be a factor.

I think he was exposed for leg length- he was taking 4 steps to the opponents one. He looked like road runner and still got nowhere near them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There have been some hints he wasn't quite right - perhaps he was developing a bug like the one Richards had. He spent longish periods on the bench and really was not his normal consistent self all day.

Another thing that kills me a little inside every week. Kick ins. We always play on into the side of the ground that invites pressure and shallow kicks.

Eg. Doc is a good kick but very left-sided. He often plays on into the right pocket. JJ always plays on into the left pocket. Dale and Richards both do the same thing.

When playing at Ballarat and kicking with a huge wind, surely play on to your dominant side to make the most of the conditions?

Your post raises a question that has been asked a few times in the last 24 hours...

How good are our fitness levels? Not saying that's the sole cause at all, but throwing leads late in the game suggests it could be a factor.
It has become very apparent that we run out of steam late. Doesn't help that we lose a player to injury almost every single game and quite often don't even reach the interchange cap. Having guys like Gardner and Keath playing 100% game time is supposed to help this (giving more time for the runners to rest) but it does seem like fitness is a weakness. This also results in poorer efficiency late in the game (fatigued legs make for inaccurate kicks). It's not the end of the world to get tired late, but you need to adjust game plan to address this. I feel the Pies do this quite well - they build up their lead with superior running power, then adjust their game plan late to defend their lead when most of their quicker players will have run out of legs (McCreery, Markov, etc.). We don't seem to change anything, then wonder why we get overrun late. Our 3rd and 4th quarters are significantly worse than our first halves.

It has become very apparent that we run out of steam late. Doesn't help that we lose a player to injury almost every single game and quite often don't even reach the interchange cap. Having guys like Gardner and Keath playing 100% game time is supposed to help this (giving more time for the runners to rest) but it does seem like fitness is a weakness. This also results in poorer efficiency late in the game (fatigued legs make for inaccurate kicks). It's not the end of the world to get tired late, but you need to adjust game plan to address this. I feel the Pies do this quite well - they build up their lead with superior running power, then adjust their game plan late to defend their lead when most of their quicker players will have run out of legs (McCreery, Markov, etc.). We don't seem to change anything, then wonder why we get overrun late. Our 3rd and 4th quarters are significantly worse than our first halves.
Another aspect might be mental endurance and application. A lot of discussion here is understandably about the coaching but why is it that we switch off in games, even without incurring injuries?

It may still come down to coaching or on-field leadership or both. However there needs to be some thought given to mental conditioning of all players to play out a full four quarters. When the mental application flags other things like teamwork and adherence to disciplines and game plans also suffer.

I just don’t enjoy watching this team anymore.

I haven’t seen as many bad years as some in here, I was there through the Rhodes and BMac years.

Those years we went in with low expectations and you’d see signs from individual players and younger players.

This current team is just a frustration to watch. We have some absolute top tier talent on our list but then we have some extremely pedestrian mature age role players being played in front of talented kids, we have a game plan that needs everything star to align to work and no plan B.

We have had the same deficiencies year after year with no improvement or signs of them being addressed. Our game style isn’t exciting or effective.

Ultimately watching this team is a frustration that generally ruins your weekend rather than being something to look forward to

Have to agree. I’m 44 now and have followed the club my whole life, like so many others in here. This is probably the worst I’ve ever felt. Growing up in Hobart, you just learned not to tell people who you followed because there wasn’t too much to be proud of and you were part of such a minority. Internally I was proud that my club had saved itself from extinction but outsiders that followed the big clubs would never have grasped that feeling. We had some moments where we came close in the 90s but still never felt like it would happen and always felt like the club was living pay cheque to pay cheque. The Rohde years were awful and the BMac years were hard at times too. I never felt we were near success under those two coaches and I set my expectations accordingly. 2016 needs no commentary. I now feel myself totally out of love with the club and the game itself. The predominant reason is because I feel that this team could and should be challenging. Instead they tease, wilt under pressure, give up momentum and goals consistently like no other, and ultimately, they fail whenever an opportunity presents itself. Not so long ago we were playing to consolidate a spot in the top 4. Perfectly to script, we went on a losing streak. It happens in games too. We build a small lead, miss easy goals and the inevitable happens. This isn’t a rarity, it happens with alarming regularity. I’ve always been a guy who loyally pays for a membership year after year, but I’m wondering now why I’d keep paying for something I no longer enjoy. The reason I do and will continue to do so is because the club is bigger than me, bigger than any one player or coach, and I don’t want kids to have to experience the dark days of survival like a lot of us did.

Apologies, that ended up longer than I planned!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Another aspect might be mental endurance and application. A lot of discussion here is understandably about the coaching but why is it that we switch off in games, even without incurring injuries?

It may still come down to coaching or on-field leadership or both. However there needs to be some thought given to mental conditioning of all players to play out a full four quarters. When the mental application flags other things like teamwork and adherence to disciplines and game plans also suffer.
We simply need a new voice, and it’s a very stale environment. Plus 99% of the players on this list need to work for their spots again and play for their careers. Half the side knows their safe and can cruise because they’re a Bevo boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selection stuffing the team once again

Lewis has to be the worst best forward in the game. Twice he's had the gettable shots, missed, and had it go coast to coast

That’s because we are a front running team, when our game plan doesn’t work we are shocking going the other way defensively we are useless

Surely after the opposition kicking multiple goals during this year we should have some stategy against this. 8 goals on the trot. Whats the coaching panel doing

We just don’t handle pressure,apply pressure and we fold
Hawks board.

Could be mistaken for ours.

Goals kicked by small forwards in the past 5 weeks, 4 to Elliot, Walters, Papley, 5 to Greene

Lucky for Doc he’s a Bevo boy, he is beyond cooked
You must have felt at least a touch bad for him yesterday, no? His forwards couldn't create a forward stoppage to save themselves, the ball was gushing out of our forward half and they cut through bevo's press like butter. They hung him out to dry massively imo.

When the tag was applied, my first thought was send Bont to FF, West into the middle and JUH higher up the ground with Naughts at CHF.
Force Ward to deal with Bont one out in the goal square. Would have at least shaken things up a bit! We were kicking with the wind, after all...

I remember in the 90s Terry Wallace being very creative with opposition taggers. If, for example, Scott West was being tagged, TW would sometimes send another player to work over the tagger. Very effective to do it now and again.

I guess I'm saying 'just do something'. Don't just cop it without a whimper!
Interesting that one bevs old lieutenants played Miller as a tag on Neal yesterday and Miller was the medallist in the game. So S King obviously believes in planning against opposition strengths.

Stubborn is as stubborn does, that is Bevo to a tee. Briggs starting to wear English down, put English forward and give Lobb a go to do dome body work. Naughton unable to get into the game, move him.

Reminiscent of the 2015 final, what a start, then the over the back goals and just compress so that we were done out the back in the last quarter. What a waste!

I can’t fathom what goes on in our box. No creativity, no capacity to make changes that will influence the outcome.
Losing both big backs complicated things but it shouldn't reduce your ability to see moves. It's like they have a limit on how many moves you can make. Unfortunately we are outcoached every week.
In the second half V GWS Lobb & English should have been changing deep forward and Naughton should have moved into a key defender role. Taylor had stitched Naughton up all day so why keep him there? Lobb or English would have been more difficult for Taylor to match up on and they’d create more opportunities.
JUH should have played up the ground more to get some space. He was useless deep but again he was left there all day. Tommy Haney made more moves in a game and he didn’t make any!
Move them to get them into the game.
Why didn’t Bont play deeper and have more time forward when Blockhead tagged him? He would have bested him in the air.
3rd quarter again our set up behind the ball was shite. So many of their second half goals were scored through over the back slingshots. WTF?
Lobb as a key back? We bled goals through there.
So many moves that aren’t made.
It appears that English has in his contract that he can’t play in a key forward position.
The board has to move and challenge Bevo on his performance. His team selection is horrible. There is no coaching of our forward line, we clearly do not have any defensive structure when we need to lock down and slow the play down.
It must be disheartening for senior players to see the coaching panel waste opportunities every week.

Aura doesn’t trump coaching ability. Past performance doesn’t doesn’t override current performance.

The board should listen to Kane Cornes - he is saying what most supporters have been saying for years.

Thanks for the flag Bevo.
Time to move on because you clearly are incapable of changing and growing.
Another wasted year. 🤮

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You raise questions that could have been answered after the 2021 GF defeat with a detailed assessment of what went wrong.
Every player sat down and taken through every aspect of the game.
I still haven't seen Beveridge or the club say that happened.
Beveridge waffled something about not wanting the players to dwell on a nasty defeat, to move on.
But what's that saying about insanity.. repeating the same things and expecting a different result?

Here's a snapshot of those who spent time forward. Ranked according to pressure acts from the least number of pressure acts to the most.

1690692293728.png

3, possibly 4 players from this group are going to get their arses handed to them on Monday. Can you guess which ones?

I think you’re right in a lot of ways, the players underperformed and we had a few unfortunate injuries. I think many fans just see games like this happen so consistently and ultimately feel the list is not performing as well as it should.

It’s where a lot of the push comes for a revamp. What we’re doing right now isn’t working so May as well change it up.

I understand and share much of the frustration of my fellow Bulldog supporters, but I think they need to consider the situation from a broader perspective, rather than jumping to the conclusion of sacking a coach who unlike any other living human on the planet has coached this club to 2 grand finals and a premiership.

Do we have a talented list? Sure. Do people think that happens by accident, with little to no involvement from the coach? Seems a bit like it, but they would be wrong.

People need to learn to take the good with the bad and consider the net aggregate. We want the bad to be minimised but recognise it will always exist, so getting hung up on it isn't particularly helpful.

I think people also seem to have forgotten that there are still entrenched inequalities in this competition that work against the Bulldogs. Although there has been a lot of effort directed at leveling the playing field to give clubs like ours a chance, we continue to fight our battles up a metaphorical hill.

We are also still in with a strong chance at finals, so Luke's aggregate is still in positive territory and talk of sacking a proven top quantity coach at this point is just ridiculous.

I recognise that Bevo has his problems but hope that circumstances play out in a way that his strengths come to the fore.
For example, Bevo may not currently be emotionally capable of dropping Ryan Gardner, but surprises could happen. Ryan could miraculously improve to repay Bevo's faith, or someone else could jump up play so well they demand his spot in the team. Luke might even yet wake up to the poor performance of his pet project. Who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Until then we should continue to live in hope.

Here's a snapshot of those who spent time forward. Ranked according to pressure acts from the least number of pressure acts to the most.

View attachment 1759798

3, possibly 4 players from this group are going to get their arses handed to them on Monday. Can you guess which ones?
Lol at VDM getting the role as pressure forward over West, to absolutely no one’s surprise. Then getting his ass handed to him in PAs & tackles by Westy in just a half of footy.

Gee whiz what a shock

Team selection 🤪🤪🤪

****in clueless campaigners in charge

They had their own issues with injuries, Tom Green Jessie Hogan. We were out coached against a much better coach at the moment. Bevo is club legend but the club is bigger than him. We have no idea how to stop these run ons. Bevo after 9 years is out of ideas and motivation.
It is sad that this is where we have ended up. It's definitely a true reflection of where we are at as a club. Requires some change but don't see where that change will come from. Either need some better assistant coaches or Bevo to fall on his sword. Maybe an overreaction but nor much has changed since 2016 in a positive manner

Interesting that one bevs old lieutenants played Miller as a tag on Neal yesterday and Miller was the medallist in the game. So S King obviously believes in planning against opposition strengths.
Good point.

In the 2016 GF, Libba went to JJKennedy after half time. IIRC, it was a suggestion from 'a member of the coaching panel'.
Worked beautifully.

I wonder if that was Kingy?
Strongly doubt it was Bevo's idea.

Given that such a move helped get us a flag, I would've thought Bevo would see the value in it.

Apparently not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back