Game Day Dogs v North - No More Second Chances

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a hard fixture coming home we have the apparent good fortune to have two games against the presumptive wooden spooners. However North, after many years of early draft picks and many missteps along the way, are finally starting to put together some good form. Last week they went down to Melbourne by 3 points. Melbourne showed the value of that form in a close game against Brisbane that they probably should have won last night. Two weeks ago North lost by a point after building what should have been an unloseable lead against the reigning premiers, Collingwood. And the week before that they beat West Coast in Perth. That's actually the form you'd expect of a side challenging for the 8, not one anchored at the bottom the ladder.

So they are not to be taken lightly. And yet the Bulldogs are in season best form themselves.

These are the games that any serious challenger for the finals must win in the closing stages of the H&A season. They are also the games that the Bulldogs have managed to blow in bewildering fashion in recent years, even when a place in the finals or the top 4 was the prize for winning. Those are the games that created the greatest doubt among the Bevo-doubters.

Then we have the problem of having so many high quality talls on the list. And the return it seems, of the four-headed monster (JUH, Naughton, Darcy, Lobb ... and possibly even Bontempelli). The last time this was tried it failed and was quickly trashcanned. Is this the time to be trying it again? Certainly the times have changed - Darcy is a much more accomplished player, Naughton is playing higher, Lobb has just had his best ever game. But the game has changed too and it's all about fast ball movement and the ability to break the lines, not so much about marking power. That's the sort of list North are building.

Fortunately for us Wardlaw is out. But a doubt hangs over Bontempelli's fitness and he might not even play. Coming off the bye is not going to help our cause either.

If you'd called this a danger game 8 weeks ago you would have been laughed out of the room. But we are the Bulldogs and a danger game it is. It always is.

I'm going Dogs by 32 but any other result - from a hiding of us to a smashing of North - wouldn't surprise me.

I'm taking my boys today before we go to the Globetrotters tonight, so hopefully two games where the result isn't in doubt. But I echo the sentiments above, I'm pretty nervous that team selection is going to cause an unnecessary structural issue in a game that just has to be won.

The last few times we've all been to the game together were WC at the end of last season, and Melbourne and Essendon this season. So my apologies in advance to those of you who believe in jinxes.

If Bont is indeed a late out, it would have been obvious to bring in Garcia but as he is not even listed as an emergency, that would be highly unlikely. The three who are listed as emergencies can't fill the role anywhere near as well. We shall see.

Down for the Gold Coast for the game

Last 2 I’ve been down for are west coast last year and Essendon this year

Don’t hurt me again boys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't foxing. There has been genuine concern. And the Roos are far from the worst team going around. They have challenges the Pies and Dees in the last two weeks. We need Bont firing to snuff out any challenge.

Nerves. I have them. We absolutely cannot afford to be complacent, North have found another gear the last few weeks and full credit to them for doing so (although I really wish it had come later in the season, even by a week 😅)

Bont to FF and Sanders in the guts. Perfect time to give him abit more time in the midfield - unless things go south.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back