d'oh

Remove this Banner Ad

pastie37

Debutant
Feb 26, 2002
this may not be of interest to anyone but i'm going to post it anyway.

while catching up with some rels on the weekend i discovered my grandparents who passed away before i was born actually used to have a box full of old north memberships dating back to the 1900's thru to the 60's. unfortunately neither my dad or uncle know what became of them.

i can only imagine what they'd be worth today but more importantly the sentimental value would be huge. it was great being told old stories about the roos.

apparently my grandparents were patrons of the club i.e financial backers. they used to live in north as all of both my mum and dads families did.

obviously there wasnt a lot of success but apparently even then north were renowned for their toughness and unity in times of crisis. great to see some things dont change and luckily the success came.

Originally posted by pastie37
this may not be of interest to anyone but i'm going to post it anyway.

while catching up with some rels on the weekend i discovered my grandparents who passed away before i was born actually used to have a box full of old north memberships dating back to the 1900's thru to the 60's. unfortunately neither my dad or uncle know what became of them.

i can only imagine what they'd be worth today but more importantly the sentimental value would be huge. it was great being told old stories about the roos.

apparently my grandparents were patrons of the club i.e financial backers. they used to live in north as all of both my mum and dads families did.

obviously there wasnt a lot of success but apparently even then north were renowned for their toughness and unity in times of crisis. great to see some things dont change and luckily the success came.

They would very interesting reading if they were found.North were a strong side in the VFA in the 1900s so your grandparents were possibly part of their first flag in 1903.

Early history like this is fascinating. I think much of it was left out of The North Story. Other early records I believe were thrown out as it was thought they were of no value and the club had limited success as you say in their early VFL years.Find out as much as you can about the club's history, records and personnel from your family. People who have such information are scarce.

Thanks for that. If you learn any more please share it with us. It might not be stuff that people can add a lot of discussion to but more importantly is great to read.

Originally posted by 35eye
It might not be stuff that people can add a lot of discussion to but more importantly is great to read.

Yes the thread will eventually get to a discussion on either Carlos's erectile dysfunction, beer, USC, Makepiece and Colbert, club finances, Carey, Denis Pagans coaching future or sex.

We can all add to it and it will be a great read.

Originally posted by Shinboners
Y'know, I was having a beer with Skull, trying to figure out if the club had enough money to keep Pagan on for a couple of years, when Colby's girlfriend, Tamsyn, walked in, and we sort of wondered if she could help solve Carlos's erectile dysfunction.....

Mmm...Very clever.:)

If you ever find the items they may even be of such importance that you might be able to get on the Foxtel show "The Collectors"
which is a show dedicated to footy heads who have heaps of interesting memorabilia.

A North man was on a couple of weeks ago. His name escapes me at the moment but he was Chairman of the Board or something like that in the 70's. (Runs a sport memorabilia shop in Prahran.)

Again if you find the gear , he would probably be able to assess it's value. Some of the gear is now incredibly expensive.

Originally posted by Shinboners

More obvious than clever, but then again, Choppy was asking for it. ;)

I was waiting for the Shermanator to come up with a movie based on the info Choppy.

Geeze, those movies posted on here last year were a cack!

Remove this Banner Ad

d'oh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back