News Dr Bridie O'Donnell elected to the board

Remove this Banner Ad

A fair bit of it is dissatisfaction with the club …

I agree.

We’re losing games of footy, and there will be a desire by some to keep changing stuff until we stop losing games of footy.

… and a fear of the threat of "wokedom",

As an aside, my big fear is what our society will be like when the pendulum swings back the other way.

which is how many view her appointment.

Yeah, it’s a strange one. What is it about Bridie that folks see as woke, apart from perhaps her gender?

And I don‘t see it as a gender thing. For example, if the board had instead appointed Mary Smith, a 47 year old stay-at-home mother of three, and lifelong Collingwood supporter from Abbotsford. She represents the point of view of the rank-and-file. Would anybody see that as woke? I wouldn’t have thought so.

I would have thought Sizer would have been more of a lighting rod for those fearing the threat of “wokedom” and yet her appointment seemed far less controversial. I reckon that was because day 1 Sizer regaled us with her stories of growing up as a Collingwood supporter with her brothers. She is seen as one of us, and how can you possibly have fears of wokedom of somebody who is one of us?

Last edited:
I agree.

We’re losing games of footy, and there will be a desire by some to keep changing stuff until we stop losing games of footy.

As an aside, my big fear is what our society will be like when the pendulum swings back the other way.

Yeah, it’s a strange one. What is it about Bridie that folks see as woke, apart from perhaps her gender?

And I don‘t see it as a gender thing. For example, if the board had instead appointed Mary Smith, a 47 year old stay-at-home mother of three, and lifelong Collingwood supporter from Abbotsford. She represents the point of view of the rank-and-file. Would anybody see that as woke? I wouldn’t have thought so.

I would have thought Sizer would have been more of a lighting rod for those fearing the threat of “wokedom” and yet her appointment seemed far less controversial. I reckon that was because day 1 Sizer regaled us with her stories of growing up as a Collingwood supporter with her brothers. She is seen as one of us, and how can you possibly have fears of wokedom of somebody who is one of us?

Love Mary but it’s probably just too early for her to push into the board. Maybe another 3 years.

I think timing is big. Sizer was appointed pre-covid and pre-Do Better. Both have resulted in increases in fear of the woke amongst our supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dr Bridie O'Donnell elected to the board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back