DT Stratergies

Remove this Banner Ad

chrisknights

Senior List
Jan 16, 2009
Perth
Other Teams
Liverpool
What was ur DT stratergy going into this yr. After this yr what mistakes have u made and will learn from, therefore what will be ur plan ntx yr.

i played to many rookies, and was sick of having players socring 40 in my team each week. I also conserved trades and only traded if a premuim was out for over 4 weeks, or a hack was out for 5, this clearly failed me this yr as now i have keep of trades, but my team is struggling

next yr i am planning to trade hard and play only 1 rookie.

My strategy was simple, trade hard and finish my team early. This hasn't worked in DT, as I now sit with only 2 trades left and only ranked 2,000th. This strategy has worked so far for SC as I'm ranked 14th and have the pre-planned 4 trades left. I play DT and SC in the hope of winning and personally I think this is the best strategy to win because you need A LOT of luck to win anyway. This is my first serious year of DT/SC so next year or in a few years I'll probably go with another strategy.

What was ur DT stratergy going into this yr. After this yr what mistakes have u made and will learn from, therefore what will be ur plan ntx yr.

i played to many rookies, and was sick of having players socring 40 in my team each week. I also conserved trades and only traded if a premuim was out for over 4 weeks, or a hack was out for 5, this clearly failed me this yr as now i have keep of trades, but my team is struggling

next yr i am planning to trade hard and play only 1 rookie.
The not playing rookies thing always amazes me.

If you had a team full of guns from the start of the year, and got a couple of hamstring injuries in the first round would you trade them out or play the rookies you had on the bench? Of course you would play the rookies. I don't understand how people are so adamant that rookies in round 1 are evil, but from round 2 they are a a necessity.

It's all about the RIGHT rookies. If you get the wrong ones playing 1 is too many. If you get the right ones, 5 is not enough. Don't be so rigid with your plans; assess the rookies on their merits and see if it works with the level of risk you are prepared to take on.

I know a bloke who is absolutely flying at the moment from having Beams, Robinson, Anthony, Otten and Rich in his best 25. Just imagine how he would be traveling if Anthony had played 12 by now (based on PS form). Also think how good it would have been if he had picked Zeibell, Dangerfield, Whitecross or Zaharakis. Obvioulsy you can't pick them all but if you got it right you could not argue that playing rookies was a bad idea.

It's not the amount of rookies you play, it's their quality.

Set and forget the forward, back, and ruck rookies. Rotate 4 cash cows all at once through the midfield. - This ensures there's always high returns and good downgrade targets.

I have 11 trades left but no one to trade down to...

best advice i can give you is don't listen to every jo blo on BF forums.

I believe DT is over in the first 12 rounds. All the rookies are snapped up and most players form has settled. hopefully for my sake theres some movement before round 22 or I'm stuffed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year I pre-planned how I was going to use my 20 trades.

Started the season with 16 of 22 players who I was happy to consider keepers. This meant that 6 trades are put aside for upgrading the rest of my team.

To upgrade my 6 value/ rookie players to guns, 8 trades were set aside to trade out my bench rookies for $$$.

6 trades set aside for any long term injuries to gun players/ keepers. Made a rule that the player had to be sidelined for 3 weeks or more. I have broken this rule once and its fair to say it has cost me dearly. No trades were to be used to trade out these players purely on poor form.

I think your initial team of 30 players is the most important aspect of this game as well finding a balance to have the right amount of money in the bank. If you get it right, it creates far more options and a much stronger team later in the year.

From my initial team my biggest downfalls were Raines (had to trade), Liam Anthony (had to trade), Spudrenko over Dawson, Collier (had to trade), Petterd (did nothing).

I see so many people say this is thier first year of dreamteam. were have you people been, seriosuly been missing out :p.

Anyway next year i will not be picking Key Position Forwards. I have learnt that the hard way with picking buddy from the get go over steve johnson. Also will be staying away from mid-priced players and go with the gun-rookie stategy again. I went in this year with only three mid-priced players i picked to have "break out years". Mundy, adcock and cloke. Two have worked 1 failed misrebaly.

There are plenty of different strategy that a coach can take when selecting their initial line up, and basically there are two main accepted strategy in DT.

Mid Ranger

The mid ranger strategy relies on picking the right possible keepers to minimise the amount of trades needed later on, as it doesn't allow for a high number of guns in your initial line up. With this also means that captaincey choices are also limited and getting players like Abblet and Bartel starting in your team is very difficult.

What the mid price stratergy does do is it alows for more consistancy in variouse ways, in terms of players more secure in the respective teams best 22 and with scoring as mid range/ cash cow players don't experiance the types of highs and lows seen with rookies.

The stratergy has its risks and rewards, with the garuntee of games and consistancey, but the risk of picking the wrong players and then having a backlog of players that need to be traded out.

Gun/Rookie

This stratergy involves a high risk reward factor. With the high number of rookies selected in your initial line-up means that there may be alot of inconsistancey with thesse players scoring, game time, etc. But the stratergy also allows for a high number of premiums to be selected, meaning more capatancey options and these players are locked aay in your team, and thus no need to worry about upgrading them.

The stratergy heavily depends of picking the right rookies in the starting line up, if you get it right, your laughing, if you get it wrong, you find yourself trading rookies to rookies for the cash needed to upgrade.

Of cousre there are other stratergys used but the commen trend throught all these stratergys lies with a coaches abilty to find value and to pick the best players in thier initial line up.

A initial line up stratergy isn't everything though, coaches still need to have trading stratergys such as to go hard or to sit back, let players rise and fall etc, and this last point is basicly what i have lernt the most about this season.

I went for the Gut Feeling strategy.

It didn't work on enough players, will never try it again.

Next year I will go for guns and rookies, and put full research, (Meaning no life all summer :p ) so that I can get the right players in.

For a great explanation of the advantages of the Mid Price strategy over the Gun/Rookie strategy referred to by Hirdy, or over playing rookies at the start of the season in general, see the interview with skankdanker in the pre-Round 6 episode of the Dream Team Ruined My Life podcast.

Pick the right rookies. As iamthestig spoke about earlier, if you pick the right rookies you're cruisng from day one.

I picked Hill, Suban, Broughton, Otten, Rich, Anthony, Beams, Zeibell and Walker this year and I'm very pleased with that. Allows for so much flexibility with regards to your downgrades and upgrades, and this ultimately saves you trades if you trade intelligently.

Also I will continue to look for value in premiums next year as I did this year, even though Buckley, Goodwin and B.Johnson disappointed me this year.

Something I focused on was Durability and Buy Low/Sell High.

Getting in players like ROK, Corey, Pavlich at there peak lows worked well.

Too many injuries though, wasted trades on Harvey, Hille, Dalziell. Will do the same strategy next year and hope for some luck. Maybe avoid all 29+ players no matter what.

Pick the right rookies. As iamthestig spoke about earlier, if you pick the right rookies you're cruisng from day one.

I picked Hill, Suban, Broughton, Otten, Rich, Anthony, Beams, Zeibell and Walker this year and I'm very pleased with that. Allows for so much flexibility with regards to your downgrades and upgrades, and this ultimately saves you trades if you trade intelligently.

Also I will continue to look for value in premiums next year as I did this year, even though Buckley, Goodwin and B.Johnson disappointed me this year.

what are you ranked mate? Are you markkickgoa,.12? or something like that? Cuase your always around the top.. you came 22nd last year if i remember correctly.

what are you ranked mate? Are you markkickgoa,.12? or something like that? Cuase your always around the top.. you came 22nd last year if i remember correctly.
That was my team name last year. This year I'm The Gold Standard ranked 650th ready to make a push up the rankings :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

DT Stratergies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back