Dumb Superstitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

magpielicious

All Australian
Apr 29, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Come on Pies fans, share your weird ones!

I have this thing that the first guernsey I see on the day we play will determine if we win. So come last Friday, i get on the tram and in MELB of all places theres this one solitary GWS supporter in an orange guernsey. So that superstition is buried!

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not superstitious, but I did make sure I swapped out of my flouro orange runners for some understated grey ones, before heading to the MCG on Friday afternoon…

I'm the least superstitious person I know - it just feels so dumb to me. But I have a confession.

I like donuts. I love a donut, in fact. And this year, I bought donuts when we lost to Brisbane at the Gabba in round 3 or 4. I bought them before the game and thought, they'll be a nice little bit of dessert to enjoy when watching the game later. So we go on to lose and the donut tastes like shit, gets chucked out and I go on with my life.

About 10 weeks later I'm coming home from work on a cool Monday afternoon and I think, "gee a donut would be nice" so I get some for my wife and I and I bring them home with the intention of eating them after the King's Birthday game. We lose.

At this point I'm thinking, "uh oh, we've got a trend here." But inconceivably, I end up forgetting about my new superstition and get donuts the day of the loss to Carlton. To make matters worse, my wife, who I never confessed to that I've found a superstition, buys them a week later the day of the Hawthorn loss.

So at this point we have full blown witchcraft, but my stupidity and neglectfulness doesn't end here.

Instead of buying garlic and burning sage to ward off this evil, I think, "okay but a different donut shop should be okay, afterall, superstitions are dumb." I test this theory the week of the Lions game at Marvel.

Needless to say, I haven't had a donut since and I won't. I'm reluctant to even think, "well if we win then I can buy donuts." That feels like 'deal with the devil' territory.

So dumb.

1990 rd 20 Haw 163 beat Coll 80
2010 rd 22 Haw 98 beat Coll 95
2023 rd 21 Haw 105 beat Coll 73

Just saying.

This is very true.

However, there are also A LOT of cases where Hawthorn beat us late in seasons where we lost in finals or even didn't make finals.. Like, a lot...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dumb Superstitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back