John Connel

Senior List
Sep 14, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney roosters
Please dont get nasty but would you ever trade him if so what would he be worth?

The most underrated player in the AFL.

John Connel said:
Please dont get nasty but would you ever trade him if so what would he be worth?

With his value now, I'd say a top 10 draft pick.

We almost traded him 2 seasons or more again when his form was inconsistent, but glad we never did as it would have been one of the worst mistakes ever made as a club.

Good Swan Districts product. ;)

John Connel said:

Wouldn't dream of trading him. Not just most underrated, but most vastly improved, most quickly and I think his best footy is still ahead of him.

Embley was nothing in 2002 but has starred consistantly since the start of 2003, I would say he is better than des headland was in 2002, and he was worth number 1. So IMO probably pick 3-8

jorel6669 said:
Wasn't it a case of trading either Embley or Andrew Williams a few years ago? Very happy with the decision made there!

Yeah, I think he was.

Kudos to the coaching/recruiting staff!

let's think about it another way.

If you had to pick between an untested 17 yr old or Embley, who would you pick? Remembering, not every number 1-5 pick has been as good as was expected to be. If you could get a Judd or Hodge you prob would jump at it...but it is not a certainty. THEREFORE I'd suggest Embley is worth a pick from 1-10 and another, maybe 3rd rounder. If Hay can get 2 first rounders...;)

ok so he is worthy of a top 10 pick id give it up in a heart beat and another thing id just like to say this bloke is almost my favorite player so good on you EAGLES and you keep your side in tact.

West Coast Vs Collingwood 95 000 + at the G september 30th
with both teams at full strength

Embley is worth not just a 1-10 but an actual number 1 draft pick. He isnt old and still has plenty of top rate footy in him. He is a superstar of the competition, it's just the fans and media of other teams havent caught up yet. Us WC fans know how good he is though.

Oh and he aint for sale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the thing we have to realise is that he wouldnt leave i wouldnt think, y would he the eagles are going to be up for a few more years yet. the other thing is he has to be willing to leave the eagles for another team. IMO it would have to be a number 1 pick and another first round pick.

But lets be honest wont happen never will happen woosha wouldnt even contemplate it

There are only a few players on our team who come out firing when the chips are down ...

Judd
Cousins
Kerr
Embley
Chick

Embley does it more consistently than anybody else. when the match is there to be won - he is the man.

He is not tradeable.

Wet Toast Rule said:
There are only a few players on our team who come out firing when the chips are down...Embley...

That's a really great point, he's clutch as you can go in the AFL.

Another thing is that he's really an icing on the cake type player. Really, you don't need a 190cm wingman who runs all day and marks like God himself would; he's just an extreme luxury. Therefore trading just a top 10 pick and drafting your average highly touted 183cm mid or 193cm forward isn't going to worth it unless their really special because they likely won't have that freak element a 190cm mid does.

id say fletcher and r.jones might be on the table come seasons end. embley is my favorite player to watch and i think this season might be the one where he breaks it into the superstar bracket of the sport. if he was playing in a midfield of lesser lights he would be top 3 midfielder.

Goldenblue said:
With his value now, I'd say a top 10 draft pick.

We almost traded him 2 seasons or more again when his form was inconsistent, but glad we never did as it would have been one of the worst mistakes ever made as a club.

Good Swan Districts product. ;)
3rd or 4th pick at the most. overrated a bit like des headland at brizzy.

BruceTheFlyingDoormat said:
3rd or 4th pick at the most. overrated a bit like des headland at brizzy.
No comparison mate. Des is a head case and a seagull. Did I mention soft as well?

94_Eagles said:
Our premiership window is open now, we don't want to be trading soon-to-be-elite players for draft picks now.
:thumbsu: Bingo, we have a winner!

The best player that we had that was expendable last year (trade value) was Fletch. Can't see that happening now, coach's have cottonned onto his dodgey disposal.

In a hypothetical... what is Embley worth in trade picks? A low 1st rounder (somewhere around 5-10) and a 2nd rounder. And it would have to be a bloody good and deep draft to do that deal.

There's not many midfielders like him. Tall, ball magnet, an endless running capacity, a huge tank for battling against the odds when the team is down, a natural forward, a contested mark.... you get the picture.

FFS, what did Bell get... Picks 3 & 5 & J.Sinclair or thereabouts. Then again, Freo do have a knack for doing the unbelievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Embley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back