Board - Riccuito, Ellis, Fennell, Lynch, Fellows, Goodings, Roche, Berrgren

CEO
Silvers

Coaches
Nicks, Burns, Van Berlo, Godden, Wright, Bello

Fitness: Darren Burgess

List Management
Justin Reid, Hamish Ogilvie

The changes I would make is we need a 90% turn over. Inclusive of Roo, Olsen, Nicks, Silvers, Ogilvie and Reid.

This group have failed and we are 5 years into a rebuild that should never have been. If we want to have a system where high performance and elite standards are expected, we need to implement the right people to cultivate and build it. I dont think there is anyone there that can stand up and say they are doing a job that reaches that standard.

The board has refused to make tough decisions. It just seems to limp along. Enjoying their own yes man bubble.

Reid and Ogilvie while having some wins, have primarily failed the list, whether they have gone with the coaches request or not, they have really shit the bed too often.

And well 5 years of failure is enough for one coaching group, even if one person is doing their job well. We need a broom and we needed it yesterday. They aren't selecting the players they should until its forced. Got to go.

Roo - Im sure your heart was in the right place but its time to go and let someones else have a go.

I've highlighted the list of staff I would retain below:

There is probably a couple on the board that oversee specific non football departments like finances etc that can get a pass. But anything to do with the football department should get a broom. Including the Chairman and CEO

Keep:
Hombsch

Ditch:
Everyone else
Hombsch coached a backline that let Joel Amartey kick 9 goals.

ySKVd6r.gif

Hombsch coached a backline that let Joel Amartey kick 9 goals.

ySKVd6r.gif
Amartey kicked anywhere between 0 and 1 on Murray and Butts combined.

That abomination is on Nicks (and Keane).

Ps, Butts was by far the most logical matchup for Amartey and should have spent the entire game on him.

Murray started the game on Hayward for Christ’s Sake.

Butts > Amartey
Murray > McDonald
Keane > the Worrell role on the next tallest player, and/or floating as a loose man

Was what anyone other than CpTn Dunce would’ve rolled with. It might have also been acceptable to swap Butts and Murray around. Or send Murray forward and play Borlase on one of those two.

Sending Keane to Amartey, only removing him from the role once Amartey had kicked 5, and then inexplicably going back to the well by sending Keane BACK to Amartey once Butts and Murray had combined to quieten him down was lunacy, the likes of which I’ve rarely seen from a senior coach at AFL level.

But this is the same coach who thinks Laird should start in our midfield every week, and that Chayce Jones is a full time AFL wingman, and that Lachie Murphy is a regular best 22 player, and that Sam Berry deserved to be the sub for an AFL football team tonight, and that Ned McHenry deserved to reach 70 AFL games because it wasn’t obvious after 40 of them that he was the worst player to ever walk the earth, and that there’s no room for Zac Taylor in our stacked engine room, and that Dan Curtin should play deep deep in a back pocket against the Brissie Lions, and that Luke Pedlar is a Tom Stewart-stopper, so it’s hardly surprising.

Ps I know you were tongue-in-cheek when responding to this. I just wanted to rant at 2:30am about the sheer incompetence of our senior coach as a form of therapy. Thanks for listening.

Delist:
Bond
McHenry
Parnell

Trade: Not saying they will go, but explore options.

EH - FA with GWS
Gollant - Trade Bait
Jones: Trade Bait
Sholl - Trade Bait
ROB: Trade Bait

Retire:
Sloane: Retired
Smith: Retired

In regards to coaching everyone but Hombsch goes with Adam Kelly in that pile too.

In regards to bringing in players, our priority showed be hitting FA with putting offers for both Isaac Cumming and Harry Perryman. I don’t think Perryman would come over though.

I would look heavily into Moyle and Luko utilising trade capital for assets trading out or next years first.

The 2025 team I would like to see is:

B: Worrell - Murray - MM
HB: Hinge - Keane - Curtin
C: Nankervis - Dawson - Cumming
HF: Rachele - Walker (Welsh to replace him) - Pedlar
F: Rankine - TT - Fogarty
1R: Moyle - Soligo - Crouch
Int: Dowling, 1st Round Pick , Ryan , Cook

On paper we aren’t actually a bad team we have quite a bit of youth. We need to heavily invest in a coaching group that can have a plan B and develop the young core. Burns, Nicks, Godden and VB doesn’t give me hope at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sack Nicks, sack Reid, sack Ogilvie.

The following players will only play if injury dictates it’s necessary:

Jones, Keays, Berry, Murphy, Hamill, Burgess, McHenry, Schoenberg, Smith, Himmelberg, Borlase, Gollant.

Let those who haven’t had opportunities play this 10 games and see what they have.

If any of the above really are AFL standard than they should have no problems proving it and dominating the SANFL.

Whoever we pick as coach and whoever is in list management can go into the trade period with a clear idea of what we do and don’t have.

I’d even consider not playing Walker once Thilthorpe is fit. For better or worse this is Thilthorpe’s forward line now, we can’t keep prioritising Tex in our inside 50s.

Sending Keane to Amartey, only removing him from the role once Amartey had kicked 5, and then inexplicably going back to the well by sending Keane BACK to Amartey once Butts and Murray had combined to quieten him down was lunacy, the likes of which I’ve rarely seen from a senior coach at AFL level.

But this is the same coach who thinks Laird should start in our midfield every week, and that Chayce Jones is a full time AFL wingman, and that Lachie Murphy is a regular best 22 player, and that Sam Berry deserved to be the sub for an AFL football team tonight, and that Ned McHenry deserved to reach 70 AFL games because it wasn’t obvious after 40 of them that he was the worst player to ever walk the earth, and that there’s no room for Zac Taylor in our stacked engine room, and that Dan Curtin should play deep deep in a back pocket against the Brissie Lions, and that Luke Pedlar is a Tom Stewart-stopper, so it’s hardly surprising.
Nice rant :thumbsu:.
+
It's the same Coach who assumed we'd be playing Finals on the back of a 10th-place finish last year and spent the whole off-Season changing our game plan from the highest-scoring team in the Comp. to the mess that started 0-4.

Fold the whole organisation.

That would give us all 6 months to get intensive therapy to reform our connection to footy.

Some of us may never regain it.

Others may look to the state leagues.

Some may choose another team in the AFL

But at least we would all be free of the pain.

Players out of contract:
Smith retire
Sloane retire
Himmelberg to GWS as FA

Burgess delist
Bond delist
Parnell delist

Gollant trade/delist
McHenry trade/delist
Berry trade/delist
Sholl trade

Cook re-sign 2 years - feel there's a star in there somewhere, need to find a way for him to get into games.
Borlase re-sign 2 years - good KPD depth, always need it
Hamill re-sign 1 year - holds himself well when he plays

Tex - 1 year deal, playing 10-12 games + (maybe finals)

Still contracted - put on trade table
Ben Keays
Riley O'Brein
Mark Keane

Still contracted - put on trade table but unlikely to get offers
Matt Crouch
Luke Pedlar
Lachlan Murphy
Keiran Strachan
Harry Schoenberg

Josh Rachele - have some real talk. He doesn't look like he's enjoying his football at all and I wonder if he'd be happier sitting in cafes on Lygon or Chapel St, playing in the TV studio at Marvel. It's early for him and he could still be a really strong player but feel he's just as likely to have a Menzel, McAdam type career. He doesn't have the zip and anticipation for a high level small forward and he gets flustered in traffic, which makes midfield difficult. So he's kind of a short medium forward? Pains me to say it as we're short on elite talent but if we get a pick in the teens in a strong draft year, that might be a win/win/win.

First change I'd make is to get rid of NVB. Our midfield structures, lack of defensive running, and all round clearances are the worst in the league. Bring in anyone - this numpty hasn't got it and didn't have it when he played for us either.

Mid season...players to come in Taylor, RoB, Pedlar and Curtin. Out - Murphy, Strachan, Borlase, Berry. Keane could be another to go if Tex is right after the break as I think Butts and Muzz can handle the larger forwards. Laird to back pocket or out. Hamill to the wing. If TT is fit then Cook or even Rachele to go out.

Players out of contract:
Smith retire
Sloane retire
Himmelberg to GWS as FA

Burgess delist
Bond delist
Parnell delist

Gollant trade/delist
McHenry trade/delist
Berry trade/delist
Sholl trade

Cook re-sign 2 years - feel there's a star in there somewhere, need to find a way for him to get into games.
Borlase re-sign 2 years - good KPD depth, always need it
Hamill re-sign 1 year - holds himself well when he plays

Tex - 1 year deal, playing 10-12 games + (maybe finals)

Still contracted - put on trade table
Ben Keays
Riley O'Brein
Mark Keane

Still contracted - put on trade table but unlikely to get offers
Matt Crouch
Luke Pedlar
Lachlan Murphy
Keiran Strachan
Harry Schoenberg

Josh Rachele - have some real talk. He doesn't look like he's enjoying his football at all and I wonder if he'd be happier sitting in cafes on Lygon or Chapel St, playing in the TV studio at Marvel. It's early for him and he could still be a really strong player but feel he's just as likely to have a Menzel, McAdam type career. He doesn't have the zip and anticipation for a high level small forward and he gets flustered in traffic, which makes midfield difficult. So he's kind of a short medium forward? Pains me to say it as we're short on elite talent but if we get a pick in the teens in a strong draft year, that might be a win/win/win.

Chip chip chip crap Nicks insists on in 2024 isn't suited to Rachele.

There are a lot of players who looked good last year with daring, fast footy who now look lost.

Nicks is killing more careers than just his own

i'd start at drafting and development. even clubs more successful than us (and there's a few) are turning over their staff in these areas. the staying power of some of these people for their return is ridiculous. and then you look at the names and coaches and it just looks like the cheapest options for the most important parts of the club. if you **** up the drafting and development it doesnt really matter who's senior coaching and whatnot, it's already screwed.

Remove this Banner Ad

End of / mid season changes you'd make?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back